UKC

REVIEW: Joss Naylor's Lakes, Meres and Waters of the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 15 Oct 2021

Brilliantly written, and a visual feast, this book is an inspiring celebration of the landscape and culture of the Lake District, and a fitting tribute to one if its truly great characters, says Rob Greenwood.

Read more

Pedro50 15 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Saw this when it came out, a lovely book.

galpinos 15 Oct 2021

Interestingly, Andy Ford has just got the second fastest time of this route. Recorded completions are here, with times. Joss' time is still the fastest.....

https://achille-ratti-climbing-club.co.uk/?page_id=304

Andy chatting about it:

youtube.com/watch?v=troJJJy3Hpk&

Bob Kemp 15 Oct 2021

I don't really buy coffee table books these days but I might make an exception for this - sounds great.

kmsands 18 Oct 2021

He's the spitting image of Samuel Beckett.

Bezaleel 22 Oct 2021

One of the saddest aspects of rural life is the loss of village elders, those whose long lives in one place accumulate a mass of experiences and knowledge. The outstanding life of Joss Naylor and his determination to be (not so much running but fast walking these days), on the fells, combined with his lifetime of farming make him unique.  Two years ago I was setting off early to walk up to Seatallan. At about halfway I met Joss, coming down!! If I remember right he said it was his 495th ascent of Seatallan since his second knee replacement. Ok, he lives as near as he could to Seatallan, but he is unique and I’m delighted that the book does him deserved credit, and delighted he has recorded some of his memories. 
It is a beautifully written book, unpretentious. The quality and choice of Steven Wilson’s photographs are outstanding. He has captured exactly the scenes that Lake District fell walkers will identify with. The images of Joss couldn’t be bettered. This really is an excellent book for old fell walkers like me and young ones who have many years of walking to look forward to. I think there will be many former fell walkers that cannot walk now who would get a great deal of pleasure from this excellent publication. I’ve collected dozens of books on the Lake District since my first foray in 1969. This is the best one I possess

Post edited at 21:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...