UKC

Clip stick on a plane?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Partner and I are heading to Leonidio at the end of this month (very excited), and were wondering about the prospect of being able to take a clip stick with us. We've got a pongoose 1000, so not exactly going to fit it in the suitcase. 

Has anyone attempted to take a clipstick on a plane as hand luggage (Easyjet, if that makes any difference)? Or are we better off trying to borrow a smaller one or forget about it all together?

TomTeece 03 Feb 2022
In reply to Kateharrison110:

I went to Leonidio in December, brought my beta clip stick in my duffle bag I used as a suitcase. I actually didn't use it the whole trip, the first bolts were always low with easy climbing, and the rest of climb was well bolted and I could always reach the next bolt at the hard bits. Basically I wouldn't bother bringing it!

gravy 03 Feb 2022

I've regularly taken an old betastick on planes - it's quite long and I've taken to removing the head to make it easier to pack (inside my big hold sack).

It's a bit of a pain and I'd have got a smaller, more packable one, if I'd thought about it. 

climberchristy 03 Feb 2022

I have regularly taken a clipstick on planes but always in hold luggage not cabin bag. I am 99% sure that any airline will stop you taking that in the cabin as it'll be classed as potentially an offensive weapon. Same reason ropes no longer allowed in cabin bags. I just always go on climbing trips with a long holdall/ duffel style bag as my hold luggage. I have the medium length beta clipstick which fits easily in a large duffel style bag. 

AlanLittle 04 Feb 2022
In reply to TomTeece:

Agreed. My Beta Stick Compact easily fits in a suitcase - which is why I bought it - so I always take it with me on Kalymnos/Leonidio trips. Have used it there precisely once, when my partner backed off a route that I had already done, and I was too tired to repeat it to get the draws back.

Post edited at 06:32
 mike reed 04 Feb 2022

You will not be allowed it as hand luggage. They see it as a potential weapon. 
Hold luggage only. 
I’m in Leo right now and used mine several times for the first bolt and working the odd project. 
Enjoy

Haynesdavid 04 Feb 2022

I'd buy the 700 and check it in, 1000 is way too long! 

elsewhere 04 Feb 2022

> Clip stick on a plane?

I'd watch that movie!

Indignancy 04 Feb 2022

I’ve carried a clip stick around the airport and got it on the plane as hand luggage - not entirely sure if they thought it was a walking stick or just didn’t care…

Bit difficult to rely on though so I’ve now got the compact beta stick which fits in my hold bag.

Iamgregp 04 Feb 2022

I've taken a beta stick on a plane sticking out of the top of my hand luggage dozens of times, was always asked questions but always managed to take it through.

Apart from Turin, where they made me pay extra and put it in the hold, after a long argument.

It's not specifically banned, nor specifically allowed so it really depends upon the judgement of the person on the security that day (airline makes no odds), and like Mike said they could feel that it could be used as a weapon.

I'd try and get hold of a smaller one if you can.

daWalt 04 Feb 2022

turn it upside down,

wack a load of gaffer tape and a bit of foam around the head,

put a rubber cap over the end of the (now upsidedown) handle,

walk with a pronounced limp.

In reply to elsewhere:

I'VE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER-CLIPPING STICKS ON THIS MOTHER-CLIPPING PLANE!!

Also, get a shorter one and put it in your bag is good advice

Post edited at 11:32
 PaulJepson 04 Feb 2022

Do you happen to have a panic draw? If you're only taking hand luggage and your clipstick is too long (Easyjet very unlikely to accommodate this) then a panic draw and a wrap of climbing tape to a big stick could save the ankles. Failing that, try to make some useful friends at the crag!

Iamgregp 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Yeah, when my clipstick snapped I went for one of the shorter, bag sized ones they do now.

Can't be arsed with any more arguments at the airport.

In reply to elsewhere:

> I'd watch that movie!

I was wondering if you could paint it to look like a snake...

n-stacey 04 Feb 2022

You will be fine kid, just take it on and say nowt. Everybody does it these days, even the pilot has one. Slip it down the leg of your jeans and walk with a limp.

n-stacey 04 Feb 2022

What about those rubber flexible clip sticks, do they allow those onboard?

n-stacey 04 Feb 2022

Good luck with your trip Kate..

Removed User 04 Feb 2022

Just divert attention by stuffing your bag with jangling hexes and claiming you are a trad warrior.

n-stacey 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Removed User:

What if they ask "What have you ever done on grit"?

climber34neil 04 Feb 2022
In reply to n-stacey:

I checked in my clip stick going to sardinia in 2004, it still hasn't arrived 

There was a word before clipsticks. Pack a large bulldog clip and some cable ties/finger tape, when you get there buy a washing pole from a hardware store or hunt around for the green option, a carbon neutral, biodegradable, organic stick.

Greta will scowl at you flying there but she may smile at your choice of kit. 

rachelpearce01 05 Feb 2022

Yep we regularly have and never had any problems 

Yanis Nayu 05 Feb 2022

Thought this was the next single from the Stereophonics…

Trangia 05 Feb 2022

It's not up to the airline when packed with hand luggage, but it's a matter for the individual security person at airport security (this also applies to your return flight). You can never be certain how they will react. The same applies to walking poles. If they don't like it and consider the item to be a security risk they will confiscate it. Yes, you hear of people not being stopped, but you also hear of people having the item seized at security, there is no way of telling in advance, so it's not worth the risk. Just check it in with your hold luggage to be sure. Have you tried packing it diagonally in your suitcase? Otherwise consider an army style kit bag instead of a suitcase which is longer but thinner, so it should fit.. Most government surplus outlet shops sell them.

Umfana 06 Feb 2022

If you already have the 1000 you can buy the 700 pole and just swap your head over. Then stick it in your check-in bag.

> We've got a pongoose 1000, so not exactly going to fit it in the suitcase.

TonyB 06 Feb 2022

I have a beta stick compact that fits into my duffle bag and is easy to fly with. 

I remember trying to fly with my previous clipstick. I was living in Helsinki at the time and flying out to Turkey for winter climbing at Christmas. I had a Trango Squid at the time. You had to fit this onto your own pole. I had a collapsable painters pole that we called Mr Long Arm, although that almost certainly wasn't the name that it was marketed under. 

At check in, I had it securely attached to my rucksac, but the attendant wouldn't accept it. She said that I had to check it in as it's own piece of luggage. They offered to to wrap it, but that I would have to pay extra. I didn't want to pay extra. I also didn't have time to go home, drop Mr Long Arm off, and then come back to the airport. I contemplated calling my wife, asking her to leave work, come to the airport and pick Mr Long Arm up. But as I had already pushed my luck in arranging the trip, I thought that this might not be the best course of action. In the end the only solution that I could see, was to hide Mr Long Arm in the Christmas tree that was proudly standing in Helsinki Departures. I moved my trolley and stood beside the tree, loitered until the cost was clear and then pushed Mr Long Arm as deep as I could into a very impressive Norwegian Spruce.  No alarms were raised and I departed as normal. 

It was a great trip to Turkey. We got by fine without Mr Long Arm. I knew that the Finns are very regimented with Christmas decorations, and they go down without fail on Epiphany. I knew that I would arrive back before then, but I still wondered how Long Arm would be getting a long in his festive hiding spot. The end of the trip came, I collected my bags in Helsinki, ripped off the tags to look like I might be departing and went to loiter beside the tree in departures. As soon as nobody was around, I reached deep within the spruce, and was reunited with Mr Long Arm. He served well for a number of years before I moved back to the UK. When I left, I gave him to the person I'd done the Turkey trip with. I really must get back in touch and ask him how Long Arm is doing today.

Thanks all for the advice/comments! I've heard anecdotes of friends making it on with, and others having trouble - weighing up everything we'll probably leave it. 

Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...