UKC

Shining Clough/Ravenstones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 19 Mar 2022

This is almost certainly a stupid question, but...what chance is there of either Shining Clough or Ravenstones being in 'passable' condition tomorrow? I've never climbed at either but understand they're both at their best (Ravenstones particularly) during long dry summer spells?

I fancy escaping the crowds tomorrow with a friend who's more interested in the walking and hanging out than the climbing. Figured I could take the rack for a long walk and tick a route or two on the way past. Hoping to do Via Principia and maybe Phoenix Crack on Shining Clough, or some low-grade cracks at Ravenstones.

Would it be wildly optimistic to take the rack with us?

In reply to tehmarks:

Ravenstones has a lot more scrittly licheny stuff on it so I'd bet on shining clough being less green and in better condition. It's not that minging there so yeah, I'd be surprised if you can't get a route or two in.

mrphilipoldham 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Aye you'll be fine to get something ticked at either, good breeze today over the tops so even a lack of direct sun won't stop things drying out. 

Andy Hardy 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

They're going to be in the shade. Standing Stones might fit the bill better? 

craig h 19 Mar 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

A moorland fire up there tonight, the scroats have been out in force this last week as this is the 4th in the area. Hopefully will be under control quickly, if so Standing Stones  will be good tomorrow.

Some of the best VS's on grit and a couple of great HS's to warm up on.

Post edited at 18:58
 Tom Valentine 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Getting just one route in at each in a day  would be a wonderful achievement. Ravenstones main crag might still be a bit green but the Left Monolith should be clean and dry, polish being the main problem

OP tehmarks 19 Mar 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Oof, not planning on climbing at both in the same day! But actually, that sounds like a very interesting future challenge...

OP tehmarks 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks all, this is the sort of quality UKC beta I was hoping for. Ravenstones it is, with the intention of just going for a walk...but if something happens to catch my eye on the way past...

Taking the rack for a pointless walk is all good training anyway, right?

pec 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

The Ravenstones was pretty grotty (dirt and scrittle etc) last time I was there and that was during a long hot, dry spell in summer. It's about the last place I'd head to tomorrow, in the shade at 500m with a cold easterly wind and a wind chill making it feel barely above freezing.

Shining Clough will be cleaner (in places) but the rest still applies.

If you must head for remote moorland gritstone I'd go for the Standing Stones, at least you'll see some sun, or Dovestones where you might get some shelter from the wind.

On second thoughts, what about the Kinder amphitheatre where you'll get sun and shelter?

Post edited at 21:27
 Maggot 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

> Ravenstones it is,

Best way to get there is the tunnel 🙂

craig h 19 Mar 2022
In reply to pec:

If there is any dirt / scrittle on Left Monolith tomorrow (or any time of year) I would be extremely surprised.

If the aforesaid dirt/ scrittle isn't too off putting I would suggest The Drainpipe (HS 4b) or Nil Desperandum (S 4a)

Get them ticked before people tell you it's too warm to climb on the grit.

In reply to tehmarks:

You should read Tony Howard's account of a good day out on the grit. Sorry i can't link it here but it is a seriously impressive piece of  walking and climbing.

Maggot 19 Mar 2022
In reply to craig h:

I hope you did the full watery approach from the reservoir to the finale?

olddirtydoggy 19 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Shining clough has some incredible routes. The north facing aspect and the height of the crags could mean some very cold shade and a lack of sun to dry out the routes after morning dew. Generally we go there mid season after a dry week.

Tom Valentine 20 Mar 2022

The article is available on the Chew Valley Cragsmen FB page but to summarise, a route VS or above on the following crags in order: Dovestones Main Quarry, Dovestones Edge, Ravenstones, Laddow, Shining Clough, Yellowslacks, Lads Leap and Wimberry. All routes were climbed in boots including Pulpit Ridge (HVS 4c).

Post edited at 14:56
 alan moore 20 Mar 2022

> The article is available on the Chew Valley Cragsmen FB 

Hadn't heard of this before. Loads of interesting stuff and people on there. Thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...