UKC

Toothache sensitivity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 squarepeg 27 Mar 2022

Been using sensodyne and oral B rotating electric tooth brush for years. Always had some sensitivity but since last Sunday it's got steadily worse, now in a real mess. Hot things hurt and cold things really hurt! Cancelled yesterday at work I just couldn't face it. Must have traumatised the nerve, am needing ibuprofen to cope with a hot meal now.

Any bright ideas apart from maybe ring the dentist in the morning? Had three teeth get infected /abscess over the years and it does not seem like that. Ta. 

Jenny C 27 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Apply sensitive toothpaste direct to the tooth and massage in - don't rinse, leave it to soak in. Repeat as necessary.

Green Porridge 27 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

As Jenny C says, but additionally, don't brush too hard! Brushing too hard can get your gums to retreat and expose some of the sensitive lower part which is usually covered by the gum. This is then super sensitive to heat and cold (I know from bitter experience), and unfortunately doesn't seem to be reversible. Sensitive toothpaste can help, but I found a mouthwash for sensitive teeth to be much more effective.

Of course, the real advice is just to go to your dentist and see what they say. For me it was extremely sensitive for maybe 10-20 seconds for anything that wasn't lukewarm, but since using the mouthwash it's basically no problem. The relatively large change over a short period of time makes it sound like a case for the dentist to me though. Good luck with it! 

ranger*goy 27 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Try Sainsburys sensitive mouthwash too. Cheap and works for me. I don’t bother with a sensitive toothpaste anymore.

Timmd 27 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

I'd ring the dentist, a very nice yoga teacher I used to know of fairly recently died from sepsis, and it's thought from people he was in contact with it was tooth related.

It's a worst case scenario, but it can't do any harm to make sure it's not infected too.

Garethza 27 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Try a toothpaste with Biomin in it, it’s like magic for sensitivity and it seems to be the only thing that actually works scientifically! You will have to get it online though

Sir Chasm 27 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Ring the dentist in the morning.

In reply to squarepeg:

Sounds like an irreversible pulpits, the pain from this can be excruciating.

You will most likely need a root canal treatment or an extraction.

Best bet for now is full dose ibuprofen (400mg) and full dose paracetamol (1000mg) every 6 hours by the clock.(Assuming no allergies, and contraindications)

Good luck.

OP squarepeg 28 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Ordered some pricey toothpaste from amazon with biomin.

Off to the dentist this afternoon. Ta for the help. 

OP squarepeg 28 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

X-ray can't find any infection, he thinks it's just general sensitivity. Three out of five teeth across the front are jumpy.

He put some desensitising varnish on.

Give it a few days and look after it. Just might be the nerve dying under a tooth but he doesn't think so. Strange. 

Jenny C 28 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Front or back teeth? Mine was put down to grinding/clenching my teeth at night - a bite guard is the solution and really helps.

OP squarepeg 28 Mar 2022
In reply to squarepeg:

Front

But I have never been a tooth grinder.

Eating my tea was only uncomfortable rather than torture. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...