UKC

'North Wales Climbs' or 'Slate' guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 12Holds 08 Apr 2022

Couldn't decide which forum area was right so went for this one.

Could anyone give me an idea of the difference between these two.

I want to visit Rainbow slab and a few others in the area so the Slate guide would be great. But I also want to visit other places in North Wales and that guide seems to also cover the slate. Same price?

Dose it have less details, or climbs missing or what ?

I have checked out the stats on the Rockfax page but it isn't too enlightening. It seemed like there might a be a couple of little bits of slab missing.

Any clues?

In reply to 12Holds:

There's enough in the North Wales Climbs to cover several visits to many areas, & it includes most of the best routes. It's obviously not as comprehensive as the definitive guidebooks for any particular area, but is highly suitable for occasional visitors to the region 

Alex Riley 09 Apr 2022
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

The rockfax slate is pretty much a definitive guide whereas North Wales climbs is a select guide cover a larger area. For the occasional visit North Wales Climbs is probably the best bet.

OP 12Holds 09 Apr 2022
In reply to 12Holds:

Thanks for the info.

Any idea if the coverage of Rainbow slab area specifically is the same.

I'm guessing the slate version will have other crags and areas, hence being more definitive but I'm hoping that the "Climbs" version has the same full Rainbow coverage.

If I can get to a shop that has both I'd take a look but no luck at the mo.

petegunn 09 Apr 2022
In reply to 12Holds:

I've got the North Wales Rock Ground Up guide 2009 and that covers 8 pages just on the rainbow slab area, all the major lines covered. It covers from Bella Lugosi, Colossus Wall and Rainbow Slab.

The whole guide covers Llanberis, Ogwen, Tremadog, Gogarth & Lleyn and Llandudno so everything from slate, seacliff, mountain, sport and the Llanberis boulders 

Post edited at 18:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...