UKC

MS Project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mwr72 11 Apr 2022

I'm looking for MS Project, but don't want to go down the monthly subscription route.

Any recommendations for a download without paying a huge amount for a product key?

I don't mind older versions btw.

Thanks in advance.

Route Adjuster 12 Apr 2022
In reply to mwr72:

Unless you get hold of a pirated copy then no luck, MS have really tied it down from a license perspective.  What is it you need to do, there are some open source alternatives that have basic functionality to create Gantt charts, resource loading, project costs etc. ProjectLibre is the one I am most familiar with, works fine just doesn't look as nice as a modern MS application.

OP mwr72 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a site manager not a project manager (yet) so can't justify the cost.

I want to be able to alter the program I have on site to be able to show where progress has been made and reluctantly where we have slipped behind for one reason or another(currently adverse weather).

The program that is sent out is MS Project so anything else would have to be compatible, ie being able to alter the critical path etc.

Aigen 12 Apr 2022
In reply to mwr72:

I think it only cost a tenner per month, if even that. 

The New NickB 12 Apr 2022
In reply to mwr72:

> Thanks for the reply.

> I'm a site manager not a project manager (yet) so can't justify the cost.

> The program that is sent out is MS Project so anything else would have to be compatible, ie being able to alter the critical path etc.

Your employer should be paying for it then. Or if you are self employed, it’s a legitimate business expense.

GEd_83 12 Apr 2022
In reply to mwr72:

If it's a basic schedule, then you can do it on Excel (or even with some sticky notes on a wall) as long as you understand the construction sequence, the relationships and durations etc. I'm a construction scheduler/planner myself, usually construction companies have MS Project, P6 or Asta as available pieces of software that you can request from the IT department if it's needed for your job.

If someone is already sending out an existing MSP schedule, then it must be available on your project. If the person sending it out is working for a different company within the same project/alliance, then maybe pop them an email and ask nicely if they could do you a specific 'what-if' update to your requirements

OP mwr72 12 Apr 2022
In reply to GEd_83:

I usually receive A0 paper copies but then it ends up with lines scribbled all over accompanied by annotations.

I'm essentially wanting to get a bit of a head start on project management before I start an NVQ L7. The more I learn now, the easier the course will be, I'll also be doing the NVQ at the same time as working towards the MCIOB.

The New NickB 12 Apr 2022
In reply to mwr72:

ProjectLibre will open MS Project files.

Just be mindful that creating a Gantt chart or WBS / RBS isn't project management, these are just tools that aid project management. Some good general resources on the Association for  Project Management website.

OP mwr72 12 Apr 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

Thanks for the heads up re the website, I'll take a look

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...