UKC

Would you phone ahead to mention you would arrive late at a campsite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Would you expect to be refused entry to a campsite after 8pm? 

We booked a campsite for the weekend and planned to get there at 9:30 on a Friday. We were informed by our friend who made the booking that last check in was 8:00 and let them know we would be arriving later. They said we would not be able to go and would be welcome to arrive the next day instead. 

Is this normal these days?

Alkis 10 Jun 2022
In reply to The Connor-Crabb:

Never had that happen, every place I've ever called has told us to just poke them in the morning.

AukWalk 10 Jun 2022

Not normal as far as I know either. 

Flinticus 10 Jun 2022

I emailed ahead to inform one I'd be there about 8.30pm. Nornal check in closed at 7. No problems at all.

CantClimbTom 10 Jun 2022

I'd understand it if there was some reason specific to their site that means they have to show you around and give instructions (like something particular for their gates and livestock or whatever).

But other than that kind of thing, what on earth is their problem? They'd be turning away business...

Forest Dump 10 Jun 2022

Shouldn't be normal, you're the customer and let them know. What more do they want?

robhorton 10 Jun 2022

Went to one in the Lake District a few weeks ago and after booking saw I was supposed to arrive by 8, which was always going to be tight. I figured I'd just risk it and plead ignorance / blame the traffic. In the event I got there about 9.30, pitched up and nothing was said. I'd probably have asked before booking if I'd seen it though.

There does seem to be more of a need to pre-book since covid, and to an extent before.

It's a bit tricky if you've asked and they said no though - maybe stay in a Travelodge on the way or something..?

> They said we would not be able to go and would be welcome to arrive the next day instead

Doesn't sound like what I'd call 'welcome'.

They'd be turning away a night's fees.

Jim Lancs 10 Jun 2022

It's been normal practice on many sites that predominantly cater for retirees in motorhomes or caravans. I know some Camping & Caravan Club sites have a late arrivals areas outside the barrier for these 'dirty stop outs' who might be trying to get away for the weekend after a full day at work.

Ramblin dave 10 Jun 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > They said we would not be able to go and would be welcome to arrive the next day instead

> Doesn't sound like what I'd call 'welcome'.

> They'd be turning away a night's fees.

I've come across this sort of thing a couple of times before, generally at sites in places like Gower or Dorset that are mostly set up to cater to families on week-long holidays. I doubt that the loss of business from climbers who want to turn up late on Friday night and just stay for the weekend bothers them that much.

In reply to Jim Lancs:

Thanks

In reply to Ramblin dave:

Thanks

ebdon 10 Jun 2022

I've had this at sites in dorset (for Portland) they are generally the campsites that are overpriced and not really aimed at climbers, however in some areas needs must!

Post edited at 23:21
 elliot.baker 10 Jun 2022

I’ve never heard of that rule anywhere before but to be fair is there anything more annoying than just settling down to get an early night for an early start then someone rocks up late and leaves their engine running with the lights on so they can pitch their tent whilst having a laugh about how dark it is etc. (This happened once, can you tell I hold a grudge 😂)

Post edited at 23:40

There is no standard. It is their site, their choice.

Some sites turn away single sex groups. Some sites are family only. Some don't allow teenagers. All their choice.

This can be both a blessing and a curse. 

neilh 11 Jun 2022

I know a campsite in Harlech which is owned and run run by a lovely lady who deliberately refuses entry to lots of people as she cannot be bothered with all the verbal abuse and trouble she gets from a lot of campers.She keeps numbers on the site very low and manages it well.If you sweet talk her she is great.So does not surprise me at all.Too many campers these days are not respectful of others on the site and also the owners of the site.

so in answer to your question, yes it’s becoming normal…..for a reason.

Duncan Bourne 11 Jun 2022

Happened to us in Font. Arrived late and the main gates were locked. However a side gate was open so we just went in pitched temporarily on an open plot and moved to our allocated plot in the morning when the gates opened.

Jenny C 11 Jun 2022

I struggle with the concept of booking a campsite, never mind calling ahead regarding arrival time.

Not unusual to have gates locked (more like 11pm, certainly not as early as 8) to keep noise down, but if you're prepared to carry your gear that isn't a big problem.

​​​​

I've stayed on quite a few caravan and camping club sites and they seem to close reception at 8pm. With a parking area for late arrivals, which works for vans I guess, but not for tents. But then 90% of their business is caravans and vans.

Never tried turning up late, but to my mind if any business says it closes at 8pm you shouldn't expect to get access after that time. I wouldn't in a shop or restaurant.

If they have decided that's how they want/need to operate and are willing to accept some lost business that's up to them.

I could understand that some site owners want to welcome/vet customers on arrival, due to rowdy/problem groups ruining other guests stays, and also don't want to be hanging around until 10pm every night and not being able to have a social life

thomasadixon 11 Jun 2022

Seems like all of them nowadays, but then I am going for family camping.  Often late cause 8pm is too early if you’re finishing work at 5, always call ahead early with an excuse...  Guess we’ve been lucky so far, they’ve always said ok and let us pitch up late.

Trangia 11 Jun 2022

I don't know if it still applies but when I used to go to Font, the camp site at  Grez sur Loing used to lock their gate each night. IIRC at about 10 pm, so if you arrived after that or indeed went out in the evening to eat you couldn't drive in and had to park in the layby outside the grounds. The pedestrian gate was still accessible but it meant carrying your tent etc in from the car. It was not advisable to leave anything in the car, and I had friends whose whose cars were broken into when parked outside the campsite. This was over 10 years ago now and may no longer be the case, but it's worth checking if anyone is intending to camp there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...