UKC

climbing wall Pendle, Lancashire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Karl Boardman 03 Feb 2023

With the nearest indoor walls being at least 40min drive in any direction on Pendle, I feel having one in Pendle would make a prefect location. I'm only in the earlier stages of trying to make this happen, that being spoken to a few companies that build walls for costings etc. I'm now trying to figure out if the custom is there to make profitable enough to make it a success, and not fade away.

What are peoples thoughts, or has anyone attempted this before and realised its not viable.

Flavio 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Karl Boardman:

I have no idea of the effort or cost required to make a successful wall but as a climber I always miss not having a proper quality local lead wall (eg. Awesome Walls)

A wall in Pendle would be great, I would certainly be a regular customer - it rains a lot in Lancashire, and the local outdoor climbing is a bit of an erm.. acquired taste.

sbc23 03 Feb 2023

Is there not already a wall at Clitheroe leisure centre?

I distinctly remember being banned from it in 1997 for building a top rope soloing / scary zip line pendulum thing for a laugh.

Godwin 03 Feb 2023

When you say Pendle, where do you mean?

I definitely think that East Lancs could support a climbing wall.

Roefield does not cut the mustard nowadays, Preston is long drive, Stockport is quicker and easier, and for me it was a sad day when BUK moved from Blackburn.

Godwin 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Flavio:

> A wall in Pendle would be great, I would certainly be a regular customer - it rains a lot in Lancashire, and the local outdoor climbing is a bit of an erm.. acquired taste.

Witches Quarry is rather good, and now we have two world class sport crags, in Noggarth and Winewall, I think you are selling the area short.

OP Karl Boardman 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Flavio:

It amazes me that there isn't one. theres always rumours of one opening in Skipton, but noting ever happens.

if you can come 4x a day, everyday, Im off to a good start haha

In reply to sbc23:

Some people dont have a sense of humour. From the searches ive done, nothing comes up 

In reply to Godwin:

Literally my thoughts exactly!

Ideally I wanna open it in or around Colne, its bang in the middle of Preston, Bradford, Ingleton and Manchester. 

In reply to Godwin:

Plus Winewall has the added danger factor of not knowing what could impale you, should you deck it. You dont get that at Stanage

Could be a nice little crag tided up.

Godwin 03 Feb 2023

Colne, that is interesting, I would have thought Burnley/ Padiham, but I suspect the hard part is getting a suitable height building, with easy access to the motorway.

Why not have a chat with Ian who used to be at BUK, I bet he must have cast his eye around the area. Alss a route setter and recently being involved in setting up a wall, I am sure he could give some advice 

In reply to Godwin:

I thought Burnley, but like you say it's needs to be near a motorway, and if youre in the wrong spot in Burnley. It's a right pain to get across. Plus Colne has planning and there soon underway for some industrial units.

Good shout on Ian! I'll send him a message and see what advice he can offer. Cheers 

nobalga 03 Feb 2023

I think the Skipton one died because of COVID, they were looking at buildings and getting quotes for the wall, before first lockdown.

I'd have thought Nelson on lomeshaye be best bet for easy access. Colnes always a pain

mikefergy 03 Feb 2023
In reply to nobalga:

This website suggests the Skipton one is going ahead (details under 'further exciting proposed development', including withdrawal of an environment agency objection to planning permission in Nov '22):

https://sandylands.org/about/

sandrow 03 Feb 2023
In reply to mikefergy:

> This website suggests the Skipton one is going ahead (details under 'further exciting proposed development', including withdrawal of an environment agency objection to planning permission in Nov '22):

Hasn't this been talked about for 10 years and not got anywhere?

mikefergy 03 Feb 2023
In reply to sandrow:

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath, but it does suggest it's happening, and it would be good if it did!

Seymore Butt 03 Feb 2023

Ive always wonder this. I know a guy who works for Enterprise whos headquarters / works are in Kelbrook which is only 3 miles from Colne. He told me Enterprise wanted to build a wall in the old Smith and Nephew mill in Brierfield to showcase their product but the developer wanted too much money. The mill where they are spending millions on  developing it , would have been ideal ,being next to the M65

There used to be a great little bouldering wall at Barden school  Burnley a few years ago but iwas disbanded when they built the new school.

Naomi Buys 03 Feb 2023

The most successful (commercially speaking) climbing walls are within easy reach of university students. Burnley now boasts a thriving uni with lots of development like halls of residence being invested in, so now is probably a better time than ever before to open a wall in the area. Like others have said many times before, there's a massive gap in the market there and a long history of a solid climbing community in East Lancs. All the best!

Ps. The old netto site is up for let again at the bottom of Westgate. Might cost a fortune but it's a great location with a big carpark....

matus 04 Feb 2023

Burnley! Burnley! Burnley!

James Malloch 04 Feb 2023
In reply to sandrow:

It’s had planning approved this time (I think the council have vetoed some previously) and it’s out for tender at the moment. Costs went from £400k, to £600k from reading about it (flood stuff maybe?) but hopefully it’ll happen. It’s being done by a big existing leisure centre at least so they must have a proper plan for it. 

However from what I’ve heard it’s likely to be more targeted towards kids, though that’s just word of mouth I guess.

RJML 04 Feb 2023

You’ve got my vote!

I’m Rossendale based so it’s a similar 40-45 min car ride (minimum) to Manchester or Bolton to find a decent venue.

Definitely feels like there could be some demand for one locally!

stuartholmes 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Seymore Butt:

Enterprises did look at this,but Burnley football club now have it as Leisure box. It has a clip &climb in there.

katiet 06 Feb 2023

I had this response from the planning officer back in May last year about Sandylands in Skipton:

The latest position is that we are awaiting a Flood Risk Assessment, required in respect of the current planning application for an extension at Sandylands Sports Centre, accommodating a Dedicated Gymnasium and Climbing Walls (internal and external up to 13 metres high) and an associated  Bouldering Area. The Flood Risk Assessment will hopefully overcome the objection received from The Environment Agency and enable the planning application to be granted. The British Mountaineering Council are fully supportive of the scheme.

Funding for the project has already commenced.

As soon as the Planning Permission is received, Sandylands Sports Centre will go out to Tender.

If everything goes well, we hope to commence development in 2023.

We also heard a rumour the Depot where interested in building a wall on the new industrial estate in Skipton but were declined because of planning for another wall which is a real shame as a local Depot would be great.

We deffo need something in the area, we venture to BUK or West View twice a week and the journey is getting longer and longer due to traffic, and although we car share, the price of fuel and the increasing price of entry is taking the shine off it.

Arms Cliff 06 Feb 2023
In reply to katiet:

Looks like the EA objection had now been sorted by the FRA that was submitted https://publicaccess.cravendc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...