UKC

Idiotproof headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 19 Feb 2023

I am looking a headtorch recommendation. Ideally rechargeable but must take batteries too. Nice and simple - bright (though doesn't need to be super bright), dim and off (no stupid baffling flashing modes, red lights etc. with complicated button pressing). Does not keep coming on in rucksack (easy to remember locking method if needed). Reliable (obviously!). Prepared to pay a bit for it if it does the job and doesn't drive me nuts.

Post edited at 08:51
 Clwyd Chris 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

I can see where you are coming from, I recently bought a BD one which is far to complicated for it's own good ! oddly though I am really liking the blue light (which I stumbled on by accident whilst navigating through the modes) for walking at night, 

Jim Lancs 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Clwyd Chris:

Mine has bluetooth connectivity. FFS why?

Each autumn I have to go on a factory refresher training course just to relearn how to switch it on to the one of two settings I use.

I marvelled at one in Decathlon (£19.99), that had one button which when pushed went red then bright white / very bright / off. Learn and weep Petzl.

OP Robert Durran 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Clwyd Chris:

> I can see where you are coming from, I recently bought a BD one which is far to complicated for it's own good ! oddly though I am really liking the blue light (which I stumbled on by accident whilst navigating through the modes) for walking at night.

Isn't white light all that is needed? Ambulance mode? Anyway, I bet you're stuck with it until you stumble on something even less useful by accident.

wbo2 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Robert Durran: I have the old version of this https://rockrun.com/collections/head-torches/products/silva-trail-runner-fr... 

I stop it coming on by mistake by unplugging the cable from the battery pack

Dave the Rave 19 Feb 2023

Hi Robert

I like my Fenix Hm65R.

Its rechargeable but you could take a spare rechargeable battery.

Locks and unlocks by holding down two buttons.

Two separate lights on it, a floodlight and a spotlight.

I only use the spot so only one button to mess with.

Four settings on the spotlight, easy to use, as bright or not bright as you choose. No flashing, no red mode.

Ciro 19 Feb 2023

> Isn't white light all that is needed?

Red light doesn't affect your night vision as much so it is, I think, polite to have and use this mode if you're in locations where other people are enjoying the dark.

Tony Buckley 19 Feb 2023

Sounds like you're after something like a Petzl Tikka.  Takes batteries but you can also get a rechargeable that fits.

Not big, not clever, not complicated; just a small, effective headtorch.

T.

Kryank 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I have the HM65 RT and love it, a bit prices very simple 3 modes for each light cycled through by a single button press for each one spot or flood they can be on indepenntly of each other, has a metal bit that covers the buttons when it’s in your bag so doesn’t turn on by accident. No red light, no app or Bluetooth, made of titanium so light weight. Simple and works (abit like me 😂) great reviews online so you don’t have to take my word for it. 

artif 20 Feb 2023

Normally I'd avoid petzl but the Pixa would fit the bill. Might be a bit heavy/bulky compared to many newer offerings but it's the only petzl light I have that still works. 

Andy Hardy 20 Feb 2023

https://ledlenser.co.uk/collections/head-torches/products/h7r-core

Spendy, but otherwise fits the bill?

A zebralight H600 might fit the bill. They have a really intuitive single button which lets you choose low, medium or midnight sun, they are very tough and reliable, and they use lithium ion 18650 batteries so you can carry a pocketful of charged spares if you want.

abcdef 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

ledlenser are offering 20% off with code FBPOWERUP right now

Roberttaylor 20 Feb 2023

Petzl Actic Core fits the bill. 

CantClimbTom 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Mine has bluetooth connectivity... ... ...

does it pair correctly with your phone and/or Fridge, Tumble dryer and other WTF??? goods that seem to "need" Bluetooth these days

+1 for the Petzl Actik core

Post edited at 14:28
 StuDoig 20 Feb 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

In all fairness I found bluetooth connectivity really useful on a bothy trip where I paired my buddies torch to my phone and took control of it when he went outside for the loo.  

Jonny 20 Feb 2023

I moved to 18650 lithium battery headlights and won't be going back to AA lamps sold by the likes of Petzl and BD. For a similar price, the build quality is much better (typically all metal); the battery life is vastly better; the beam is brighter; more tints are available (I go for warmer tints [3000-4000K) that aren't quite so bright but are more pleasant to look at and better in fog); colour representation (if you go for one with high CRI) is better, which makes the world look nicer; and they often have "moonlight" modes which emit tiny amounts of light sufficient for reading or finding something in a tent but without waking you up or ruining your night vision. They are generally a tad heavier (although barely), but most of the weight is in the larger battery with its concomitant benefits, and they still feel good on your head.

I recommend the Skilhunt H04R, which you can pick up for around 40 quid, or the Sofirn SP40 (cheaper, USB recharging slot on the lamp itself and simpler UI, although a bit heavier). Both of them can be locked either with button presses or by unscrewing the end cap just a tad.

If you want to spend a bit more (well, two or three times more), people speak highly of the Zebralights, partly because they have fancy drivers that keep power output constant, although I actually consider gradually dropping intensity to be favourable to a plateau and hard drop-off anyway since our eyes get accustomed to lower intensity over time. I've never used one though, and my Skilhunt has been faultless.

Post edited at 17:00
 phizz4 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Jonny:

Fenix HM23? Fenix HL55? Both recommended.

Kai 20 Feb 2023
In reply to phizz4:

I have the Fenix HM61R.

Terrific headlamp.  Simple to use.  Good battery life.  Rechargeable 18650 battery is readily available from numerous sources (including an extreme cold weather version from Nitecore.)

Waterproof.  Well built.  

Yeah our new petzl torch took my partner and I a good 15 minutes to figure out how to control all the modes, and it was still tricky after that. Just 1 button to turn on white light, red light, lock it, change brightness... You inevitably turn on the wrong mode and lock it! My old Myo RXP just cycled through the modes at turn on, not complicated. 

OP Robert Durran 20 Feb 2023

Thanks for all the suggestions.

It is an LEDLenser which I am currently finding an unfathomable nightmare and I have a Petzl Tikka which I carry as a dimmer backup and find ok. So I've ordered a Petzl Aktic Core. Hopefully It will be ok. Being able to use normal batteries as a backup to a rechargeable one is essential for longer trips for me.

Andy Hardy 21 Feb 2023

What model of lenser is it?

OP Robert Durran 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> What model of lenser is it?

This one. Can't remember what it is called, but it has really infuriated me with all it's silly modes and incomprehensible button presses ever since I got it. The charging socket has now become dodgy, so I decided to cut my losses.

Got my Petzl Aktic Core today and it seems much simpler. Also the battery is charged directly, not through the torch, so a dodgy connection would only mean getting a new battery. Also, the torch can be used with normal batteries while recharging.

The Petzl Tikkina is has very simple controls and no red light. Will take the rechargeable Core lithium battery too (not supplied), as well as AAAs. Not as bright as the Actik Core, but plenty bright enough.

freeflyer 24 Feb 2023
In reply to StuDoig:

> In all fairness I found bluetooth connectivity really useful on a bothy trip where I paired my buddies torch to my phone and took control of it when he went outside for the loo.  

Good move Did it have a red light option?

Back on track, +1 for the Actik Core.  Short push for on/off white . Long push for on/off red. More quick pushes for bright brighter brightest (white only). Maybe Petzl did learn something!

I only ever charge the battery out of paranoia, but I'm not a heavy user. I really enjoy the challenge of walking in the dark (given suitable terrain). Look upwards.

OP Robert Durran 24 Feb 2023
In reply to freeflyer:

> Back on track, +1 for the Actik Core.  Short push for on/off white . Long push for on/off red. More quick pushes for bright brighter brightest (white only). Maybe Petzl did learn something!

That makes it sound more complicated than the reality in use. Took mine up Schiehallion for sunrise yeterday morning and it didn't get sworn at once. I doubt I'll ever use the red light. The middling brightness was absolutely fine for walking and I can imagine the brightest mode would be useful on occasion. Very light and comfortable compared to the LEDLenser nightmare too. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...