UKC

GEAR NEWS: Wild Country Voluntary Recall
 - Superlight Rock chocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 28 Feb 2023

For Wild Country, consumer satisfaction and safety are key aspects as we develop and offer new products. Our development process includes strict standards and regulations which are followed to guarantee the highest possible quality.

This is the reason why Wild Country is conducting a voluntary recall of all "SUPERLIGHT ROCK" (code 40-RSL) and "SUPERLIGHT ROCK SET 1-6" (code 40-RSLSET) chocks.

Read more

Toerag 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hmmmm, what is so different about the superlight ferrules compared to the other nuts they make? Is it simply a case that the loss of strength in the load-bearing strand is too much to bear, whereas a double-stranded nut would still retain enough strength due to the second strand?

scope 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

So I have to wait 6 months for a replacement? Any compensation for this?

Cameron_S 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Bit of a shame you strongly recommend stopping using the superlight rocks immediately but I can't get a new set until September. I guess dmm halfnuts are the way forward for now. 

JimR 28 Feb 2023
In reply to Cameron_S:

Is hanging on them until Sept an option and then getting them replaced? I got a set for my birthday late last year and they are still pristine!!

In reply to UKC Gear:

I appreciate that September seems a long way away but considering that WC only realised this problem in the last 3 weeks and they've already got the adaptation into their production schedule that is pretty quick. These things take time and it could have been much longer.

As for compensation Wild Country are offering a full set of standard Anodised rocks 1-10 as a replacement offer, I appreciate that they're not a like for like but they are considerably more expensive for a full set 1-10 compared to Superlights 1-6.

This isn't an ideal situation and is the first time we've had to deal with a Recall from Bolzano not Tideswell. Everyones patience is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alkis 28 Feb 2023
In reply to Toerag:

> Hmmmm, what is so different about the superlight ferrules compared to the other nuts they make? Is it simply a case that the loss of strength in the load-bearing strand is too much to bear, whereas a double-stranded nut would still retain enough strength due to the second strand?

As far as I've been told it's because the silver soldering process requires a stainless steel cable and the aluminium ferrule can cause galvanic corrosion with that but not with the galvanised cable the other ones use.

Rob Parsons 28 Feb 2023
In reply to JimR:

> Is hanging on them until Sept an option and then getting them replaced? I got a set for my birthday late last year and they are still pristine!!

The notice says "Wild Country ensures free replacement until December 31, 2026."

So - yes.

gav 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Mine are definitely "produced before December 31st, 2022", and thus seemingly included, but that's at odds with the batch numbers listed in the recall notice - e.g. my red says 0120WMI and the blue 0120AAB. Is this because these aren't the batch numbers (maybe these aren't written on the older nuts? maybe this is just a product code?), or because WC haven't kept track of batch numbers?

Post edited at 15:27
 jonnie3430 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

I take it there's more info to come? The link says so and there's no instructions for how to send back for replacement.

Just to be clear as well, my superlights are the older ones with the coloured swage without batch codes and I'm assuming they are needing replacement as well?

CurlyStevo 28 Feb 2023
In reply to JimR:

Just keep them away from saline environments in the mean time? 

I wonder if the problem that caused this was associated with the nuts not having being rinsed down after use on sea cliffs?

Post edited at 17:35
 spragglerocks 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

The information on how to send them back is up on the wild country website, follow the link - suggest caution as the replacement defaults to a standard nut, you have to choose a like for like replacement and it then says not available until September. Also looks like the older ones are included - they are listed as the set 1-6, if you look at the photo, they match my older set.

Joe Barlow 01 Mar 2023
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Hi Euan, 

Appreciate your reply. Was going through the recall process this morning and it says if the replacement product you choose is more expensive you will have to pay the difference. So even though a replacement set of normal wires is more expensive it sounds like you have to pay the difference.

Have emailed ask if a refund equivalent to their cost is possible, yet to here back.

thanks

joe

Alkis 01 Mar 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Just keep them away from saline environments in the mean time? 

> I wonder if the problem that caused this was associated with the nuts not having being rinsed down after use on sea cliffs?

Issue is, how do you rinse out the ferrule? Unless you cut out the heatshrink that is.

CantClimbTom 02 Mar 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Although some glass half empty types might be unhappy (but they always would be), I think the way that Wild Country are handling this (likewise DMM on their previous recalls) is doing them credit.

Not sure we need any reminders to buy kit from reputable manufacturers and not fleabay Chinese unauthorised copies, but this is a good reminder!

Post edited at 07:28
In reply to Joe Barlow:

Hi Joe,

I’ve just spoken to the Brand Manager and he has confirmed that customers do not need to pay the difference as it is Wild Country inconveniencing you!

He’s confirming with Oberalp customer service that this is the POA and will sort the back end system out etc.

sorry for the faff!

Jon Read 02 Mar 2023

You're doing great, Euan. Not an easy situation, but I at least am assured by the communication. 

I may end up waiting until September, as I don't particularly want to be without my favourite chocks all season. 

climbingpixie 02 Mar 2023
In reply to spragglerocks:

Are even really old ones included, like ones you've had for 10+ years? Might be worth digging them out from the gear box...

In reply to climbingpixie:

The final press release defines the recall as covering all pre 31/12/22 production nuts; on that basis I can't see how the answer to your question can be anything other than yes. 

Older Superlights

On the basis that the press release stated a recall on all pre 31/12/22 production superlights were subject to recall I sent back my set yesterday. They had batch code AAA, possibly the first batch made? Their receipt was acknowledged this morning and  I have just received notification that they will be replaced with my chosen option (anodised rocks 1-10). A huge thumbs up to Wild Country for an incredibly efficient response to the potential problem they identified.

The Bodach 14 Mar 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Has anyone been able to go through the process on Oberalp? It keeps telling me there's a problem with my address (specifically State, which is weird since it's an optional field). When I check my account on the WC website it says they don't deliver to UK, so not sure if it's because of that.

NaCl 14 Mar 2023
In reply to The Bodach:

couldn't tell what I put in answer to "State"; Devon probably though. All good now and have been notified that my new replacement is enroute. They will replace UK sets that are sent back - persevere, if I did it you'll work it out.

In reply to The Bodach:

I went through the process as soon as the details had been released and have had confirmation of the replacement with my chosen option of a set of anodised Rocks, however I have yet to receive them  I think the the no shipping to the uk notice on their website is for their shop only, it would be unusual to issue the recall and then no send out the replacement.

The Bodach 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

That's exactly what I thought, which is why I was wondering if anyone had the same issue. 

monkey man 14 Mar 2023
In reply to The Bodach:

Yes I’m having same issue 

In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Notification of dispatch of replacements received this morning so the system seems to be working.

The Bodach 21 Mar 2023
In reply to monkey man:

FYI, it worked for me this morning. They must have been having an issue with their system last week or something.

In reply to The Bodach:

I have had a phone call from a delivery company and arranged delivery, they require a signature and the nuts appear to be coming from Italy hence the slowness in the system.

monkey man 23 Mar 2023
In reply to The Bodach:

thanks, got mine to work yesterday too. 

cheers. 

bpmclimb 24 Mar 2023
In reply to all:

Can anyone who has actually received replacements confirm that there aren't extra duties to be paid by us, because they're coming from abroad? Probably a somewhat paranoid question, but thought I'd check - just how my brain works!

andi turner 26 Mar 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've been charged an import duty....£6.47!

PaulJepson 26 Mar 2023
In reply to andi turner:

Oh dear! I would have thought a warranty issue wouldn't be subject to something like that?

In reply to andi turner:

Hi,

Let me look into this for you. Yes the replacements are coming from Italy as direct from Wild Country. I wouldn't have thought you'd be subject to a duty invoice but I will confirm ASAP.

Thanks

andi turner 26 Mar 2023

Yes, I've definitely got one and if I don't pay within 30 days, i'll get a late payment charge of £40...

MarkH2 28 Mar 2023

Hi Euan,

I have just tried to complete the recall process and return my set of superlights. The option to exchange for a set of anodised rocks is showing as not available. Is this a temporary unavailability or has the offer to swap a set of superlights for a set of anodised rocks been withdrawn?

Cheers,

Mark

In reply to andi turner:

Hi Andi,

Can you drop me an email at euan@betaclimbingdesigns.com with payment details and I'll sort it for you. You shouldn't be getting charged.

In reply to MarkH2:

Hi Mark,

The offer hasn't been withdrawn, the tech guys have been looking into it and it appears the website works better on some browsers than others. Any chance you could try on a different browser and see if it works.

If not please let me know.

Euan

MarkH2 30 Mar 2023

Hi Euan,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried again last night and the return process worked perfectly using the same browser (Firefox) as before, with the option to exchange for a set of anodised rocks being available.

Cheers,

Mark

In reply to andi turner:

Re import duty on Rock replacements

I received my replacements this morning, they came without an invitation to make a smaller contribution to HMRC now or give a lot more in a few weeks time.

ogre 01 Apr 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

has anyone else reviewed an invoice from UPS for the return shipping? To Wild Country in the Lakes

ogre 03 Apr 2023

Euan, I’ve received an invoice from UPS for the return shipping; To Wild Country in the Lakes. The invoice says that the account number given is wrong.  I used the label that Wild Country sent.  Can you help me with this please?

pas 03 Apr 2023

Hi Euan.

I received my replacements for the super lights without any issues .

However, I also have received a £6.47  invoice from UPS relating to an import type duty .

Can you help

Cheers

Pete

In reply to pas:

Hi All,

Any UPS charges please send to me at. 

euan@betaclimbingdesigns.com with a photo of the letter

NaCl 13 Apr 2023

Received mine the other day Euan. Thanks for sorting the charge out chap. Shiny shiny new gear for the summer 🌞. 

In reply to NaCl:

Ah glad they got through, Not sure why the UPS charges are being incurred by some and others but just fire them over to me and I'll make them go away. Thanks again of being so understanding.

and just to make sure you don't think I work too hard I'm writing this in Margalef, Hope you're all enjoying the rain!! 

NaCl 13 Apr 2023

I thought you were alright but I may have been wrong. Git

beardy mike 14 Apr 2023
In reply to NaCl:

Yours should definitely have been returned what with your salty nature.

Jesus_C 22 Apr 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Silly question but once i have raised the claim and I get the shipment document, how do i arrange with UPS the collection of the parcel to return?

Paul at work 22 Apr 2023
In reply to Jesus_C:

Take it to a UPS drop off point? A quick Google will normally show where the nearest one is.

Post edited at 23:51
 Jesus_C 23 Apr 2023
In reply to Paul at work:

Thanks. I didn't know there were UPS Drop off points. I found one near me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...