UKC

Rucksack damaged by airline

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arbu 09 Jul 2023

My Jack Wolfskin Denali 85l rucksack has one side of its waistband torn off while being transported by United Airlines. Very annoying. I'd just ask them to buy me a new one, but there aren't a whole lot of rucksacks of such size on the market. So perhaps it's better if I can get this repaired. Do you think Jack Wolfskin can do it, or are there other companies that can do it?

Thanks

https://ibb.co/8c9hC5k

AlanLittle 09 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

Sending a rucksack as checked luggage not wrapped or stuffed in a duffel is always taking a risk, I'm (pleasantly) surprised that you've apparently managed to get the airline to accept liability.

RobertKett 09 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

Hi.  You could try these people, email them and see what they say. I've not had need to use them myself, but their reputation is very good. Hope you get the problem sorted.

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/

AgentOrange76 09 Jul 2023
In reply to RobertKett:

Alpkit will repair all equipment regards of manufacturer

nikoid 09 Jul 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

> I'm (pleasantly) surprised that you've apparently managed to get the airline to accept liability.

Did he?

AlanLittle 09 Jul 2023
In reply to nikoid:

"I'd just ask them to buy me a new one" implies it

nikoid 10 Jul 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

Possibly! Hopefully they'll cough up.

Andy Hardy 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

Do the airlines not just blame the baggage handlers?

veteye 10 Jul 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

I usually have to get anything with straps booked on along with people with golfing bags in special luggage, including duffel type bags.

Godwin 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

It would be helpful to know if the Airline have actually accepted responsibility for this damage or if you are assuming they will?

I always operate on the assumption that once my bag disappears it will be hurled around and treated with no care whatsoever, and pack accordingly.

Good luck with getting this sorted out.

In reply to Arbu:

I had something very similar with my suitcase being damaged and my 65l pack that was inside the suitcase being damaged as well. Air Canada eventually reimbursed me for an amount depreciated for the number of years I'd had it (but they took a while about it). Think I needed the original receipts perhaps which I only still had by chance.

In the end Osprey no longer made the pack I wanted and they didn't cover the cost of a new one anyway so I got my pack fixed by Alpkit but tbh it was a simple tear. I've not actually used it to test it since.

Post edited at 10:08
In reply to Godwin:

> I always operate on the assumption that once my bag disappears it will be hurled around and treated with no care whatsoever, and pack accordingly.

Having worked an airport (although not as a baggage handler), I’d say that this is a pretty safe assumption!

DamonRoberts 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

I've had a brand new suitcase from Easyjet before (yes, I was shocked too, it only took a few emails of arguing). They have a 7 day limit on reporting claims before washing their hands of responsibility so if you haven't already, get a complaint logged with United asap. No direct experience, but I believe Air France/KLM/Delta are the same 7 days so it may be industry standard. 

Wimlands 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

Timpsons do bag repairs …

https://www.timpson.co.uk/repairs

Luke90 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Wimlands:

Do they? I can't see it listed on that site and I took a holed rucksack in once to see whether they'd repair it and they said it wasn't their area. Maybe depends a lot on the particular person in charge of repairs at that particular store.

OP Arbu 10 Jul 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

This was a big rucksack so I'd have needed a very big duffel bag, and would then have had the problem of what to do with that while away. Normally I would fasten the belt around the back of the rucksack, but this wasn't possible with this model as the waistband would not turn back the other way.

I haven't contacted United at all, though will do so soon. Could take them to the Small Claims Court if they are difficult.

jimtitt 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

The airports I am familiar with have a baggage wrapping machine or you take a roll of clingfilm.

Post edited at 15:36
 Godwin 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

I use a cardboard box, easy to get one free going out, and just abandon at the final airport.

Coming back, it's pretty easy to get a box, or a sack you can shove the rucksack in and close up with a cable tie. Another option is an IKEA laundry bag which pack small and can live in the bottom of a pack, but I have never done this.

Be interesting to hear how you go on with United.

Jiffy 10 Jul 2023
In reply to RobertKett:

Re: https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/
I used them for a strap repair on a MacPac rucksack and the repair was very professional. I'd happily recommend them.

Post edited at 15:47
 LastBoyScout 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

As it happens, I've got a flight bag for my 80L Lowe Alpine sack, bought when my little sister took it travelling round South America. It's just a plain bag with a grab handle and optional shoulder strap and you zip your rucksack into it.

Can't remember the make of mine, but it's pretty much the same design as this one: https://www.vaude.com/int/en/12886-protection-cover-for-backpacks.html#?col...

Only downside is it's something else to carry/stash while you're away.

Edit: they'll probably tell you to claim on your travel insurance.

Post edited at 15:57
OP Arbu 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Maybe something for me to consider in future. Although I have taken hundreds of flights and this is only the second time I have had damaged luggage.

I've complained to United through Resolver, and I'll let you know how I get on.

Wimlands 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Luke90:

It’s listed under shoe repairs…but as you say probably depends on the size of shop.

They have sewn up a damaged climbing harness for me. (Couple of gear loops that had ripped off)

Dark-Cloud 10 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

Did you report it at the airport at baggage reclaim? If you didn't report it before leaving you have zero chance of getting anything from them i'm afraid.

In reply to Arbu:

Tbh given that Air Canada managed to cut through my (admittedly thin) suitcase and then through my pack inside it, I'm sceptical as to whether any of these solutions with IKEA bags or cardboard boxes etc would work any better tbh in a worst case scenario. They may well protect your things from being bashed around a bit but anything that isn't really tough isn't going to always protect you. 

At the end of the day they've screwed up, not you. 

Post edited at 22:11
 Glyno 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Wimlands:

My local Timpson re-stitched a strap on a tent for me

They also saved me £££'s on a couple of pairs of mountain boots I was about to throw away

Martin W 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Glyno:

Timpson is generally a good company IMO.  I think they keep their corporate values under a bit of a bushel; for example, they employ quite a lot of ex-offenders: https://www.timpson.co.uk/about/careers-at-timpson

Then again, the shops themselves tend to be fairly low-key* compared to garish large frontage high street places like Sports Direct and Poundland.  The shopfront doesn't exactly encourage speculative enquiries about out-of-the-ordinary repairs.

* see what I did there?

jkarran 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Do the airlines not just blame the baggage handlers?

Whoever pays, I've never had them quibble over replacing damaged bags but then I've only ever had budget trolley bags trashed.

jk

bof 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

Try www.rwcoutdoorgearrepairs.co.uk.

New company but heard good reports about them.

Dave Cundy 14 Jul 2023
In reply to Arbu:

While the airlines may claim you have to report damaged bags within 7 days,  it'd be interesting to see if a small-claims court would regard that term as fair and reasonable.  I bet you could go longer if you had a reasonable case.

I imagine the fairness of airlines Ts and Cs is rarely challenged in court, which just encourages them to load them unfairly in their favour.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...