UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Wet Lycra Nightmare - Yosemite's Steepest Big Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Sep 2023

When Jordan Cannon fell near the end of a 5.13 pitch on Wet Lycra Nightmare (5.13d), the steepest big wall in the Yosemite Valley, he didn't give up. At least not on his climbing partner, Sam Stroh. Moving slowly upwards the duo gave it their all, and the sun-baked day ended with Stroh becoming the 5th person to ever climb the elusive wall.

Next, it was Jordan's turn to do it in his own style, free-climbing the iconic route over two days and becoming the first person to do so in the process.

Read more

john arran 22 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Is there really no wall in the US that overhangs for more than 1000ft/300m? Seems incredible for such a huge country.

In reply to john arran:

I think the limitation depends on rock physics, not the size of the country.

Ian Parsons 22 Sep 2023
In reply to john arran:

Hah! That sounds like a trick question - although I'm not quite sure why.

McHeath 23 Sep 2023
In reply to john arran:

Is there one anywhere?

john arran 23 Sep 2023
In reply to McHeath:

Mount Thor on Baffin Island has an overhanging face apparently 1,250m high. The Angel Falls face we climbed was probably over 900m high. Those are some of the more notable examples, but there's an enormous difference between those and 300m. It just struck me that a country with such vast and impressive geography, 300m didn't seem as high as I'd expected.

McHeath 23 Sep 2023
In reply to john arran:

True! I’d have thought maybe in the Ruth Gorge, but apparently not.

lorens holm 24 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Honnold said 'It's not that hard, but then he's not that good.' What a legend!

aj_carter 26 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Never seen someone look so disingenuous pretending that doing it in two days instead of one was fine and good lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...