UKC

NEWS: Refugees Rock - Bouldering Brings People Together in Liverpool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Nov 2023

A monthly bouldering session that brings refugees and local climbers together at The Climbing Hangar's Liverpool walls is featured in a new video series by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and the UN Refugee Agency.

Liverpool's climbing community has come together to provide an innovative space for refugees and asylum-seekers to access the physical and mental health benefits of bouldering while meeting friendly faces and forming lasting friendships.

Read more

B-team 08 Nov 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Bravo to all involved! Three things that have been very important in my life - climbing, Liverpool, and supporting refugees - brought together in one glorious package. 

B-team 08 Nov 2023
In reply to B-team:

A total of 7 downticks (as I write). I really wish at least one person "down ticking" would take the time to explain why they disapprove of this story or of my reply. 

jimtitt 08 Nov 2023
In reply to B-team:

Maybe because they think it is a feel-good piece glossing over the UK's appalling record on asylum seekers. Whether being in a boulder hall in Liverpool is better than locked up on a barge is a matter of debate.

B-team 08 Nov 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

Is that really, though, a matter of debate? 

Ben Farley 09 Nov 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

Its a shame that you react like this. Regardless of the UKs approach to asylum seekers, this is a great programme run by passionate people, that brings people together to participate in a sport that we all love. 

Perhaps this article and video will encourage other people and other walls to do similar things; this can only be positive and maybe contribute to offsetting the less positive aspects of the UKs approach to asylum seekers.

jimtitt 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Ben Farley:

I wrote " they" for good reason. 

Ben Farley 09 Nov 2023
In reply to jimtitt:

You did indeed, apologies for my presumption/poor comprehension.

Post edited at 07:54
 StupidHorse 10 Nov 2023
In reply to UKC News:

I really like this idea and wonder if there's any chance of it extending into other places in the UK. I'd have a go at lending a hand with such a scheme in Leeds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...