UKC

Falconry, Manchester area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 16 Dec 2023

Thinking of buying my nephews (aged 13 and 11) a falconry experience for Christmas (can be postponed to later in the year of course) and joining them. They live near Stockport. Any recommendations? Have never done this myself. 

In reply to Blue Straggler:

Not very handy for mannc but I can recommend Coniston Hall near Skipton and Muncaster Castle, West Cumbria.

In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

thanks, that’s a start, maybe if we incorporate it into a day trip of some sort 

buffalo606 17 Dec 2023

Brilliant Christmas present  

Mike Peacock 17 Dec 2023

Knowsley Safari Park have options. My niece just did one and really enjoyed it. Google suggests ~40 mins drive from Stockport.
https://www.knowsleysafariexperience.co.uk/tickets/animal-experiences/birds...

The safari park itself is good - a decent drive, plus lots to see on foot too.

Michael Hood 17 Dec 2023

There are a couple in Cheshire - Northwich area - about 40 mins from Stockport

I had a birthday present "experience" at one of those some years ago (Cheshire Falconry - probably what is now their "Raptor Encounter") which I enjoyed - birds flying onto and off your glove - IIRC Buzzard, Kestrel, Owl (can't remember which) and one of the smaller Eagles (still much bigger than a Buzzard). But some of the accompanying patter was complete bullshit which anyone with reasonable birdwatching experience would likely realise - this must have soured the experience for me to some extent because I'm still remembering it.

mrphilipoldham 17 Dec 2023

Pretty certain there is (was?) one near Knutsford somewhere.

Thanks all, sounds like a few options existing as expected. Appreciate the first/second hand experience from the Michaels  

Gavin 18 Dec 2023

Not too far from Stockport.

https://gauntletbirdsofprey.co.uk/

When I've visited what has been nice is that a lot of the birds are left to fly free as part of the flying display and the organisation seem to do a fair bit for vulture conservation.

Post edited at 13:36
 Dave Garnett 18 Dec 2023
In reply to Gavin:

> Not too far from Stockport.

We’ve been to this place a few times and always enjoyed it.  I did the owl experience, including free flying a barn owl, and we took our daughter to fly the vultures and Harris hawks.  You can get up close with various owls, kestrels and other hawks in the indoor talks too.

Post edited at 18:47
 Bottom Clinger 18 Dec 2023

If your nephews and yourself ever want to see stuff in the wild, give us a shout. Around Martin mere and the Ribble estuary, you can see plenty raptors and falcons, Martin mere giving good close views, and I know places good for owls near where I live.  

Michael Hood 18 Dec 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> and I know places good for owls near where I live.  

You have to go there? I thought with you being an Owl magnet they came to visit you 😁

Gosh these are considerably more expensive than I had (quite idly) assumed. Probably should have checked up sooner than 10pm on 22 Dec Might have to negotiate this one with family....meanwhile we delve into the box of emergency presents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...