UKC

winter skills courses in North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jfefleming 05 Jan 2024

I'm looking at taking a winter skills course (dipping a toe into winter, as it were).

I know Scotland has more reliable snow on the tops etc, but North Wales is considerably more accessible for one of my party. So my question is, how likely is it that there will be sufficient snow in North Wales for a useful course? How snowy has North Wales been this winter so far (23-24)?

Cheers

TobyA 05 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

I winter climb when I can in North Wales, so follow conditions carefully. I'm not sure I'd book a winter skills course there, it's such a gamble. There has been snow this winter already but it all got washed away not long after the weekend when I got to do my first and so far only winter climb this winter! I'm away currently but my impression is since that weekend in early December there hasn't been much more decent snow cover.

ebdon 05 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

I keep half an eye on these things and without trying to second guess this years long term forcast I would estimate the chances of having enough 'winter' in N Wales for an useful skills coarse would be <20% on any given weekend in Jan/Feb.  Conversely I would say the opposite is true in Scotland.

jezb1 05 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

In the whole scheme of things, unlikely.

I don’t run them these days but when I did I wouldn’t take payment for a winter course in N Wales until the day or similar. The conditions are too hit or miss.

If you speak to a few local providers they might be open to something similar.

The other option is to book something knowing there may be an alternative, eg a no snow mountaineering course.

Pero 05 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

What is the point of one your party going on a winter skills course if Scotland is too far?  Seriously, if you want to do winter climbing you need more than a bit of dedication!

Post edited at 15:37
 Sean Kelly 05 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

Plas y Brenin run their winter courses in Scotland for a reason...

OP jfefleming 05 Jan 2024
In reply to Pero:

A 1-2 day course is a different beast to a week, but point very well taken.

OP jfefleming 05 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

Well, that's a clear consensus, thanks all.

peter.herd 07 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

As others have said - considerably less likely than in Scotland. However, Plas y Brenin do run a few winter courses in Wales. I'll be delivering them this month. The hills here have a dusting of snow and based on the current medium term weather forecast I'd be surprised if they aren't significantly more wintry by next week. That said, If you want to guarantee snowy conditions you'll want to be able to take  opportunities at short notice. Every winter is different. 

Pete 

Post edited at 19:17
 Brass Nipples 07 Jan 2024
In reply to jfefleming:

If you want to practise winter scrambling in the wet then North Wales is a good choice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...