UKC

Lake District short walks for poor weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 18 Jan 2024

Delighted to be going to my favourite place in the world this weekend for a couple of walks in what looks to be character building weather... 

Friday doesn't look tooo bad but Saturday looks windier and rainy. I'll be coming home on Sunday so avoiding the apparently 100km+ winds on fell tops (according to Mountain-forecast.com!)

Can anyone recommend any walks which would fit into one of these brackets:

1) drive somewhere relatively high-up and have a short walk to some peak, view, etc. to avoid walking in the weather for ages;

2) low-level but interesting walks to avoid the worst of the weather, e.g. with waterfalls or something pretty like that!

3) easy walks with pubs en route!

Will be staying Ambleside so bonus points if it's near there!

thanks anyone / everyone

PS - disclaimer: obviously I will be well kitted out in appropriate clothing and back-up clothing for the weather and am experienced walking in poor weather of this nature.

plyometrics 18 Jan 2024
In reply to elliot.baker:

1) Red Screes or Stoney Cove Pike from Kirkstone Pass (can’t guarantee views though!)

2) Walk round Rydal Water and Grasmere taking in Loughrigg Terrace and the Coffin Trail. 

3) Park at Chester’s in Skelwith Bridge then walk up Langdale up to Dungeon Ghyll, taking in The Brittania Inn, The Wainwrights, New Dungeon Ghyll, Stickle Barn and Old Dungeon Ghyll pubs on the way.

Edit: The fells are covered in snow, so be prepared for winter conditions despite the weather warming up this weekend. 

Post edited at 10:15
 Phil1919 18 Jan 2024

Catch bus to Coniston. Walk back to Ambleside via Tarn How's, Loughrigg. Stop at 'self serve' cafe in old cattle byre on way (take cash).

Tony Buckley 18 Jan 2024

I'll add a second vote to the circuit of Rydal water and Grasmere, or just Rydal water if it's properly minging.

Another good low-level walk is from Patterdale walk up to Boredale house south of Place Fell, then down the valley east of Place Fell, then circle back round to the start on the path by Ullswater.

T.

Wimlands 18 Jan 2024

There is a good waterfalls walk you can do from Skelwith bridge to Elterwater to little langdale and back round.

Up Wansfell and back round is another nice walk from Ambleside.

Rog Wilko 18 Jan 2024

You can walk right round Loughrigg at a fairly low level, with several options to summit if the weather improves during the day. 
Another good round starts from Skelwith Bridge (or paying car park a quarter mile up the road towards Elterwater). Interesting footpaths meander to Colwith Bridge ( Colwith Force nearby) then on through High Park and Stang End to the ford (with fb). Either cross here and reach Lt. Langdale village ( nice pub, good ale and food) or short detour ro see and cross the famous Slater Bridge before the pub. Paths leading north take you to Elterwater or (further) Chapel Stile for more sustenance/pubs, and occasional bus service back to Skelwith Bridge if required. But nice riverside paths from both villages are available. You need the OS 1:25000 map for the detailed nav. Cumbria CC website best for reliable bus info. You want the 516, Ambleside to Dungeon Gill, so don’t even need the car if based in Ambleside.

But different but park in Hawskhead and walk out the back up into Grizedale. Many variations to be had and does pop out into some good views. And the bonus of the pub in Hawskhead.

Park for Gunners How and instead of going up go right into the woods.

Michael Hood 18 Jan 2024

In terms of quality of view for effort expended, Loughrigg Fell from Red Bank takes some beating.

Parking there is very limited so I'd recommend Friday rather than Saturday.

Post edited at 13:51
 Lankyman 18 Jan 2024

You could get the steamer down to Lakeside at the foot of Windermere and walk back up the west shore (much of it actually by the shore with some inland diversions). I've done a shorter version finishing at the car ferry and crossing back to Bowness - you could then get the bus back to Ambleside. If it's really wet (snow melt?), the level of the lake does rise substantially and it can make some shore sections aqueous - the bit near where Cunsey Beck comes in was like that when I was there a few months ago. I believe the southern part of the route has been 'improved' recently? Scenically, it's not like the Howtown to Patterdale shore of Ullswater but it is very pleasant and it's on the quiet side of the lake. On the east side of the lake you can make up numerous circuits using the FP network. Most recently, we did a 'Three Peaks' walk over Grandsire, School Knott and Brant Fell when the grass was all burnt brown (remember last summer?).

Neil Williams 18 Jan 2024

Loughrigg Terrace from Ambleside, there are a couple of caves to have an explore in (big ones, not actual caving) and you can stop off for some Grasmere gingerbread half way round.

graeme jackson 18 Jan 2024

From Grasmere take the road up into Easedale to take in Sourmilk Gill and Easedale tarn. Depending how you're feeling either come back the same way or head south up onto Blea rigg then South east along the ridge to Silver Howe and back down int Grasmere. 

Michael Hood 18 Jan 2024
In reply to graeme jackson:

Did basically that the other day (cut the corner before Silver Howe).

Finding the actual summit of Blea Rigg in cloud was "interesting".

Post edited at 17:10
 Michael Hood 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Brant Fell has some bouldering as well as I'm sure you must know. Slabby and not high grades IIRC from walking past.

phizz4 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

Try to pick up a copy of the late Bob Allen’s guides to low level and short walks in Lakeland. Highly recommended.

https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/author/bob-allen

Lankyman 18 Jan 2024
In reply to phizz4:

I've got lots of those sorts of books but not the Bob Allen one. I got his 'Escape to the Dales' decades ago and it was/is a real source of inspiration. I hadn't realised he'd died. The shorter, easier walks are becoming more and more attractive as I get older!

Lankyman 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Brant Fell has some bouldering as well as I'm sure you must know. Slabby and not high grades IIRC from walking past.

Those slabs are surprisingly impressive - far more so than the 'real' bouldering overlooking the Bowness side of the fell. I've often seen folks on the summit but never anyone messing about on the slabs. I think it's probably because they're out of sight on the back side of the fell.

C Witter 19 Jan 2024

A circular from Elterwater to Tarn Hows with quarries en route is really great. Route customisable.

A route from Patterdale to Pooley Bridge along the East bank of Ullswater is lovely. Longish. Buses connect.

Place Fell round from Patterdale.

Rydal, as others have said.

Thirlmere round.

Castle Crag round from Stonethwaite/Rosthwaite.

Kentmere to the reservoir and back...

Birks Bridge (Duddon) or similar to Seathwaite Tarn and back (some path closures due to fallen trees).

The Coffin Route from Rydal Hall to Grasmere

Um...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...