UKC

Alpine circuit ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jbpilon 24 Feb 2024

Hiya ! Would any of you be able to recommend an Alpine circuit similar to the Spaghetti Tour on Monte Rosa but ideally less touristy/more remote and less "trek on snow" more climby ? 🤔

Basically looking at doing in between 7 and 12 days in a row of Alpine routes without having to go back down in the valley every other day. Ideally in a loop format. Ideally in Italy. Ideally PD/AD routes. I know I'm asking for a lot 😄

McHeath 24 Feb 2024
In reply to jbpilon:

Cevedale (3769m, easy, to warm up) - Königspitze (3861m) - Zebru (3735m) - Ortler (3905m) (Hintergrat)? Magnificent mountains!

Vertainspitze (3545m) and Hoher Angelus (3521m, both easy) on the other side of the valley good for acclimatising.

Post edited at 21:57
OP jbpilon 25 Feb 2024
In reply to McHeath:

Sounds very interesting !! Thanks

jcw 25 Feb 2024
In reply to jbpilon:

The true High Route Chamonix to Sass Fee

Les Diablerets to Handegg

in both you can thr.ow as many 4,000ers as you want

John Cuthbert 25 Feb 2024
In reply to jcw:

As JCW suggest, this is a magnificent way to go, and pretty wild..

JC

MG 25 Feb 2024
In reply to jbpilon

Valnontey watershed?

philipjardine 27 Feb 2024
In reply to MG:

so using the Money bivi and what else?  Very little info in English on that area but I agree a good idea.  The traverse of the Torre di Lavina is a neglected classic there. And the Pontese is in my view one of the best huts in the Alps.  So you could probably stitch together a multi day traverse although the dreaded nebbia might interfere.

MG 27 Feb 2024
In reply to philipjardine:

> so using the Money bivi and what else?  Very little info in English on that area but I agree a good idea.  The traverse of the Torre di Lavina is a neglected classic there. And the Pontese is in my view one of the best huts in the Alps.  So you could probably stitch together a multi day traverse although the dreaded nebbia might interfere.

Depends which way round you go but something like

VS Hut>Sberna bivi over Gran Serra and Herbetet *

Sberna>Pol hut over Becca di Montandayne+piccolo/Gran Paradiso *

Pol hut > bivi-Ive-forgotten over  Cresta Gastalid, Tete-de Valnontey etc *

BIF>Pontese over Becca di Gay and Rochia Viva (not sure how feasible this is)

Pontese> Money  over Torre di Gran San Pietro*

Money> Home over Punti Patri and minor peaks

I can vouch for the starred bits being excellent and I agree about the Pontese.

MG 27 Feb 2024
In reply to philipjardine:

> so using the Money bivi and what else?  Very little info in English on that area but I agree a good idea.  The traverse of the Torre di Lavina is a neglected classic there. 

Which routes did you do?  I've done the "normal" North ridge from the Lillaz side - good but fairly straightforward.  Does the traverse start with the SW ridge

philipjardine 27 Feb 2024
In reply to MG:

yes SW ridge.  Ben T recommended it to me.  Mostly 3 and some bits of 4.  Nice bivi hut.  Bike useful for private rd out of Cogne.  This route is in some old classic climbs books but seems to have fallen out of fashion.  Lack of info in English is a big factor I suspect.

Marra has left Pontese but I suspect its in good hands with her daughter.  They both love the English.  I think John Temple (? spelling) and Richard Nadin did new routes round there.  I never met John.

Post edited at 12:55

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...