UKC

Gas saver double valve thingme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 04 Mar 2024

Has anyone got one of those?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WXHN-Camping-Converter-Shifter-Conversion/dp/B0BCG... 

1) is it efficient at transferring end of canisters  to one?

2) what do you own? What brand is better? Price varies from £4 to £25: that’s quite a range for the same utensil!

any thoughts appreciated.

Post edited at 21:11
 Robert Durran 04 Mar 2024
In reply to French Erick:

No, but I just read the reviews and ordered one!

greg_may_ 04 Mar 2024

Yes, I use it for events like the OMM to transfer gas to smaller canisters. Works well. Happy customer. 

Ideally, weigh the target canister before using it, full. Then you know what to refill it to. I write this on the bottom in Sharpie. 

Post edited at 21:57
 Forester3 04 Mar 2024

Bought one of these off Amazon a couple of years ago.

As it says on the tin; always set out on camping/bivi trips with full gas cylinders (and not have a gear cupboard filled with half empty ones!). No problems with it, a great piece of kit; just ensure you don’t overfill the cylinders! However, there’s plenty on YouTube to demonstrate how to do this safely.

So IMHO, I can’t really see what benefit there’d be by paying around £20 more…

galpinos 04 Mar 2024

1) Yes. We use the big 450g/16oz canisters family camping and I use the ends of these to fill my 113g/4oz and227g/8oz cannisters up for "proper camping".

2) Camping Moon. Had it a couple of years, no complaints. Buy a new cannister, weight, and write on it the weight. Then when you re-fill you'll know what weight not to go over (I underfill slightly instead of trying to hit it bob on/risk overfilling......)

Plenty of YouTube vids/posts about how best to do it. Reckon it has saved me a fair bit of money and I don't begrudge half used cannisters anymore.

The only concern I have is that the cannisters aren't designed to be re-used multiple times but I have not actually recorded the numbers of times I have re-filled them so no idea as the longevity of the valves/durability of the threads on the actual gas cannisters.

OP French Erick 05 Mar 2024

Cheers to all.

Ordered a cheapo.

AlanLittle 05 Mar 2024

I have one, Wytino brand 14€ from amazon.de. It works fine, with the tip that I've heard from several sources of chilling the receiving canister in the freezer to get a good pressure differential. 

I always refill outdoors and am careful not to overfill the receiving canister - be sure you know what a full can weighs, and don't exceed that. I haven't yet felt the need to track & limit the number of refills per can, but it can't be a bad idea.

> is it efficient at transferring end of canisters  to one?

Good question. I rather use it for topping up small cans from a big can. If you're using it to consolidate fag ends you'd (a) probably have to pay more attention to temprature/pressure differential, and (b) be aware that you might have burned off all the propane from the used cans and be left with nothing but butane.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...