UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Almscliff Bouldering - Yorkshire's Finest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 05 Jul 2023

Almscliff - or 'The Cliff' as it's affectionally known - is the quintessential Yorkshire Gritstone crag. It's absolutely crammed with classics, which are densely packed together, making for a high quality, compact circuit. Here we delve into some of its classics...

Read more

Arms Cliff 06 Jul 2023
In reply to UKC Articles:

Four downvoters who got their egos deflated at the cliff 😂

In reply to Arms Cliff:

> Four down voters who got their egos deflated at the cliff 😂

I'd assumed it was due to the mildly provocative title, which I'd hoped might bait a few people to say "IT'S NOT YORKSHIRE'S FINEST" and begin a debate about what is.

I'm slightly disappointed no one took the bait, but now that I've prompted it - any takers?!

Post edited at 12:59
 Wizzy 06 Jul 2023
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Caley? Particularly for 6's & 7's 

Post edited at 13:24
 robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 06 Jul 2023

I thought it was the best crag in the UK for bouldering and trad, not just Yorkshire.

scope 06 Jul 2023

Almscliff, Yorkshire's most overrated crag.

Sam Beaton 06 Jul 2023

Almscliff is almost as good as Rylstone

In reply to scope:

> Almscliff, Yorkshire's most overrated crag.

This is the response I was expecting when I wrote that title...

I've heard a few folk say this over the years, but most - perhaps all - have been local. I think it's very easy to forget exactly how good it is when it's on your doorstep, because if you were to transfer any of the classics to other crags they'd still be absolute three star classics. The fact that they all exist within such a compact area makes it all the more amazing.

It's not just the boulder problems either, it's the routes: Great Western, Big Greenie, Wall of Horrors, Western Front. I defy anyone to say that these are overrated - they're some of the best routes on Grit!!

In reply to Sam Beaton:

> Almscliff is almost as good as Rylstone

In retrospect, this would have made a much better title 😂

In reply to robertmichaellovell:

> I thought it was the best crag in the UK for bouldering and trad, not just Yorkshire.

Amen 🙏

In reply to Wizzy:

> Caley? Particularly for 6's & 7's 

I can't argue with that, the rock at Caley is exceptional too - a much finer (and more forgiving) grain than Almscliff. We're hoping to film a few more destination guides and Caley is on the list of places we most wanted to go. The other option in Yorkshire was Widdop, as I thought that had a really nice circuit - plus it was just a lovely place to hang out.

Offwidth 07 Jul 2023

What bait? It's well known many crags were said by the YMC to have the best bouldering in Yorkshire.

I have that opinion about Stanage all the time because its so close you just think "is it really that popular" then you go and it's actually flipping gold. Been 3 times this week 🤣

freemanTom 07 Jul 2023

Best thing about Almscliffe is it keeps Slipstones quiet (tongue firmly in cheek).

afx22 07 Jul 2023

I think Almscliffe is my favourite bouldering venue in Yorkshire.  Such quantity and variety across the grades.  And it’s a nice place to be.

I love Caley too but it’s neck deep in bracken for much of the year and takes much longer to dry out.

Rob - The finest is / was Whitehouses ! But you know that 😉

What Yorkshire really needs is not a debate about the finest but a NEW guide for the finest bouldering in the UK. The Cameron Duff (2001?) followed by the On The Edge guide from Steve Rhodes were great but they're so out of date. We also had the Wild Bouldering Guide (Tony Barley & Nigel Baker) and the Tony Barley Interim Guide to Nought Bank, Crocodile Crag, Park Crag and the mighty Madge Hill.

The Unkown Stones web site is really good but you can't beat a book. And a tremendous amount of work has gone into it.

https://unknownstones.com/

We have yet another Peak Guide on the way but RF is neglecting Yorkshire Bouldering.

Bring it on lads 

Oh and another thing... Earl 👆

😁

Guys Cliff for what has been called the finest 7a in Yorkshire.

A Little Sparkle

Dave A Allen 07 Jul 2023

Brimham anyone?

In reply to Dave A Allen:

Oh yeh... There too 

simes303 07 Jul 2023
In reply to scope:

> Almscliff, Yorkshire's most overrated crag.

I have also always thought that.

simes303 07 Jul 2023

> This is the response I was expecting when I wrote that title...

> I've heard a few folk say this over the years, but most - perhaps all - have been local. I think it's very easy to forget exactly how good it is when it's on your doorstep, because if you were to transfer any of the classics to other crags they'd still be absolute three star classics. The fact that they all exist within such a compact area makes it all the more amazing.

> It's not just the boulder problems either, it's the routes: Great Western, Big Greenie, Wall of Horrors, Western Front. I defy anyone to say that these are overrated - they're some of the best routes on Grit!!

I completely disagree. I find Great Western awful. I've done it three times as I kept thinking I must be missing something. It's beyond me how anyone can think that's a good route.

owensum 10 Jul 2023

Almscliffe is great but you need a tolerance for drop offs and eliminates. Caley is fantastic but God the road noise is obnoxious.

Brimham is the dark horse. Can't beat the venue, feels massive (relative for UK bouldering). I think for what I enjoy in climbing this may be my favorite spot, despite it's obvious drawbacks (poorer rock, lack of aesthetics).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...