UKC

INTERVIEW: Andy Pollitt and Louise Shepherd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 May 2018
Andy and Louise at the hospital: post radiation therapy, pre-surgery., 3 kbAndy Pollitt follows his interview with Stevie Haston by reminiscing with another of the world's top 80s climbers - Louise Shepherd.

Read more
 jon 10 May 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Actually Andy, I think that's the best so far!

Dave Garnett 10 May 2018
In reply to jon:

Yes, very good.  If all of Andy’s book is as good as the bit Louise wrote I’ll definitely have to buy it! 

dominic lee 11 May 2018

Lovely. Thanks Andy / Louise 

Mick Ward 11 May 2018
In reply to jon:

> Actually Andy, I think that's the best so far!

I've loved all of them but this is the one that's somehow touched me the most. Mind you, I'd already doted over Louise Shepherd's elegiac 'summer in the Wimmera' contribution to 'Punk in the Gym'. 

Louise Shepherd has always seemed the epitome of grace and style, not only as a climber but, far more importantly, as a person. Long may she reign!

Mick

Mick Ward 11 May 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Three words - just buy it.

Don't think about it - just do it.

You won't be disappointed. That I guarantee.

Mick

Didn't Scottish hardman Graham Livingston AKA "the brat" give Louise a belay on Lord of the flies, then second it in trainers!

Dave Garnett 11 May 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Three words - just buy it.

Done. How can I refuse?!

Robert Durran 11 May 2018
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

> Didn't Scottish hardman Graham Livingston AKA "the brat" give Louise a belay on Lord of the flies, then second it in trainers!

Yes, I think so. He certainly knew how to put people in their place - he once stylishly soloed down an E4 in trainers while I was gearing up and psyching up at the bottom of it. And the first time he ever spoke to me was at the Cromlech just after I'd done my only ever E6 (now rightly downgraded to E5), asking if I thought it was worth E4. Not called "the brat" for no reason! He posts from time to time on here under a pseudonym.

Andy Hemsted 11 May 2018

Thanks for this one Andy ... it brings back memories of three great days at Arapiles in 2009. On day one I climbed with Louise for the day; Skink, Lamplighter and Virginia. Day two, on Louise's recommendation, I took Penny H up Tiptoe Ridge, and it's remained the highlight of her (Penny's, and probably not Louise's...) climbing career.

Best Wishes, Louise, if you read this ... and many thanks!

Melok 11 May 2018
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:paul on belay, and graham seconded in a pair of badly worn trainers, while ap and I witnessed it

Shani 11 May 2018

These Pollitt-bureau interviews are consistently the best thing about UKC. Another brilliant choice of interviewee. Louise's ascent of LOTF remains a fantastic and inspirational achievement.

Dave Garnett 12 May 2018
In reply to Shani:

> These Pollitt-bureau interviews

Nice!

Shani 12 May 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Nice!

I stole the phrase.....from Andy!

nz Cragrat 18 May 2018

That was certainly a great time there - Sean breaking his leg skateboarding, Marco Lukic sneaking in an ascent of Punks, H.B's massive bowls of breakfast porridge before we went to Buandik

Rick Graham 22 May 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Yes, I think so. He certainly knew how to put people in their place - he once stylishly soloed down an E4 in trainers while I was gearing up and psyching up at the bottom of it. And the first time he ever spoke to me was at the Cromlech just after I'd done my only ever E6 (now rightly downgraded to E5), asking if I thought it was worth E4. Not called "the brat" for no reason! He posts from time to time on here under a pseudonym.

Not called the Brat for no reason

He used to have an amazing ability to wind folk up, but was also very careful to leave one person out of it as an "ally".

In our case, when he lived on our floor for a while, the ally was my wife, but there again she was daft enough to feed him

A bit of name dropping, but I had seperate conversations with both Cubby and Basher, when they had him staying with them.  " we are having a bit of trouble with this new lad, brilliant climber but a pain in the neck at times, we call him " the Brat " ".

Doug 22 May 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Fairly sure he was known as the Brat before then, when I first met him in Aberdeen he was still at school but had already acquired his nickname

Rick Graham 22 May 2018
In reply to Doug:

I got the impression that he got the nickname independantly in Aberdeen, Ambleside, Sheffield and Glencoe ! It was so apt for him at the time, wonder if it still is? Surely not.

Removed User 22 May 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Think it was Geoff Arkless who coined it during the Paddy Heron bunkhouse era.

> I got the impression that he got the nickname independantly in Aberdeen, Ambleside, Sheffield and Glencoe ! It was so apt for him at the time, wonder if it still is? Surely not.

Exchange the odd email now and then, mellowed a little but he's still got it. Thankfully

Any chance of an appearance on here to clear up mysteries G? Congratulations are due not only for  grabbing the attention from Louise's ascent of LotF then but now also this thread. 

Mark Kemball 22 May 2018

Had the pleasure of meeting Louise in Touolmne in '81. Such a neat, stylish climber. Very impressive.

Mick Ward 22 May 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Not called the Brat for no reason

As we discovered, at Buoux, in '87. As I seem to recall, Shark (of this parish) had a memorable 'non-verbal exchange' with him. And no, it wasn't (quite) coming to blows.

Bloody brilliant climber though - no doubting that.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...