UKC

NEWS: Andy Turner on The Hurting / Ines Papert & Charly Fritzer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Feb 2011
Charly Fritzer making the second ascent of To Those Who Wait IX,9 - Ben Nevis, 4 kbScotland has seen a storm of hard ascents over the past few days, top of the list is perhaps Andy Turner on The Hurting (XI,11).

Other action has been from visiting climbers Charly Fritzer and Ines Papert. Amongst other things the team managed to nab the second ascent of To Those Who Wait (IX,9) on Ben Nevis.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60093

Neil Morrison 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: You could also check out Scottishwinter.com which has a bit about a fairly significant ascent on the Shelterstone as well as most of the above.
 CragRat11 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: Unrelated maybe but what the hell of HotAches done to the end of that video of Dave Mc on The Hurting? Was enjoying it up to then! Looks rubbish!
 Jimbo C 01 Feb 2011
In reply to CragRat11:

From what I recall, the cameraman had to dive out of the way of a falling Dave Mac armed with lots of spiky things so they didn't actually have any footage of the fall after the first split second. Does indeed look rubbish.
 Mr Fuller 01 Feb 2011
In reply to CragRat11: I think on the attempt filmed he didn't fall. They stuck on a 'fake' fall to recreate the whipper that he took when it wasn't being filmed.
 PeteH 01 Feb 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller:
Either way, I agree it looks bloody stupid. It's a real shame. What were they thinking?

Pete.
 diff 01 Feb 2011
>What were they thinking?

Fair question

As mentioned above this was shot as a reconstruction to illustrate the story MacLeod was telling. We needed someway of ending the sequence, so we came up with the idea of the CGI fall quickly cutting to the credits.

I agree it doesn't look very good.

It worked better in the full film: MacLeod's telling the story, we see him struggle, then we cut to the CGI, credits and then MacLeod explains what happened. We wanted the audience to think 'what just happened?'... and then we explain it in the credits. It doesn't work so well as a youtube clip, where folk just re-watch it to enjoy our low budget effects!

Diff
 Quarryboy 01 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

That video pretty much sums up why I never want to get into winter climbing.
 Joss 01 Feb 2011
In reply to PeteH:

Looks like something from a kids cartoon..jesus wept.
 sasmojo 02 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: Just to break the theme here.

Well done Andy and Charly, great ascents.

S
 CragRat11 02 Feb 2011
In reply to diff: To be fair the video is great up to that point, exciting, atmospheric and some great shots, and its good to see Dave Mc 'on the edge' so to speak. I just don't think the CGI bit doesn't do it justice, I'm sure it comes across better in the context of the full film sequence.
 CragRat11 02 Feb 2011
In reply to CragRat11: should have been 'does' it justice, not doesn't
In reply to UKC News: My friend who was in the area has just uploaded a pic of andy on the hurting. can find it here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=620111&id=883655601#!/photo.php?f...
 Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2011
In reply to diff:

Glad I didn't watch the clip! The full version is one of the best pieces of climbing film I've ever seen. Utterly harrowing to watch. Many of us will have been in similar situations (at lesser grades) and know well the feeling of sketching up higher and higher into a worse and worse position!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...