UKC

NEWS: Bellavista, 8c MP, by Sasha Digiulian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Aug 2013
Sasha Digiulian topping out on Bellavista, 2 kbSasha Digiulian has made the first female ascent of Alexander Huber's Bellavista,7b, 6c, 6a+, 7a+, 7b, 8c, 8a, 7a, 6c, 6b, on the Cima Ovest di Lavaredo in the Italian Dolomites.
On her Instagram she writes:

After climbing through a big storm for the final pitches, and spending a bitter cold,...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68275
 Durbs 13 Aug 2013
Top stuff.

Hotel Supramonte next?
 abarro81 13 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Think Dani Moreno did this recently too?
 Mr Lopez 13 Aug 2013
In reply to abarro81:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> Think Dani Moreno did this recently too?

So he did, and promptly 'downgraded' it to 8b and 7c for the hardest pitches, but he puts it down to the holds being dry on his second attempt making it easier (!!!)

Jon Bracey 13 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:
inspirational stuff!!
 SteveSBlake 14 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC News:

I'm suprised - this hasn't attracted much comment or attention.......
A great, very hard climb on a classic Dolomite wall, and a storm to boot!

A fantastic adventure - much respect.

Steve
 Kiell 14 Aug 2013
Somewhat OT but I truly resent the fact that Red Bull sponsors climbing. Drinks full of sugar are fuelling an obesity epidemic and have no place in sport.
 beardy mike 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Kiell: Who gives a crap who she's sponsored by when it allows her to climb a route like Bellavista. End of the day its up to obese people to either drink a sugary drink or not. They do have a choice. And their choice is to lead an unhealthy lifestyle. Sasha clearly doesn't and is clearly many could aspire to be like regardless of age, gender or rock sport inclination...
 Michael Ryan 14 Aug 2013
In reply to mike kann:

> End of the day its up to obese people to either drink a sugary drink or not. They do have a choice. And their choice is to lead an unhealthy lifestyle.

Not the whole story by any means Mike.

a primer here

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-jun...
 GeoffG 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH:
That is one of the most informative articles I've read in a long while.
Thanks for the link Mick.
 beardy mike 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Michael Ryan - UKC and UKH: Yeah I know its not the whole story, but to link what has to be one of the most impressive ascents by a female ever, with obese people and that her being sponsored by a company that sells sugar to both skinny and obese people alike, (who buy it out of their own volition) is in some way wrong and morally corrupt is just a touch insulting to Sasha. It's sad that rather than see the immense positive within this story, someone has to jump on the anti sponsor bandwagon. Sasha is young talented and wants to climb and will do what it takes to get to do that. If Red Bull want to give her a bit of dough to do so and stick a sticker on her helmet, is it really going to make the limited audience she has of mainly climbers, suddenly turn into sugar craving drink junkies who do nowt but sit on their couches and eat pizza until they have to be cut out of their own houses?
 Kiell 15 Aug 2013
In reply to mike kann: I can appreciate why it might be seen as disrespectful to the achievement but I don't think it's insulting to Sasha in the slightest. If you accept sponsors, you have to accept the criticisms that go with it.

Red Bull use these achievements to promote their product. As long as they continue to do that, I will use these achievements to lambast their products. Associating sugar drinks with sport normalises its consumption and perpetuates the problem. For me, the fact that it is one of the most impressive ascents makes the association even more frustrating.

I don't blame Sasha in the slightest as I would most likely do the same in her situation. My post doesn't criticise her but merely intended to express repugnance at the brand's presence in climbing in general.
 1poundSOCKS 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Kiell: I was wondering what you don't blame her for, the obesity epidemic, or being sponsored by Red Bull?
 Kiell 15 Aug 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS: I'm pretty sure she's had a hand in global warming, now that I think about it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...