UKC

NEWS: Dog ascents added to UKC/UKH Logbooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 01 Apr 2022

In our drive to widen the appeal of UKClimbing and UKHillwalking, dogs are being given space in our logbooks to record their efforts on hills and crags, and track the progress of training regimes. The new Dogbook facility will be up and running shortly.

Read more

Tony Buckley 01 Apr 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

No Troll ascents?  They've clocked up some fine numbers on here.

T.

johnlc 01 Apr 2022

Just deliberately logged on to UKC to see what was on here today.  Never disappointed!

girlymonkey 01 Apr 2022

Super!! I will set up the dogbooks for mine asap!! :-D

Someone had fun writing that!! lol

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 01 Apr 2022

Dogged ascents - nothing new there then

Chris

Tom Valentine 01 Apr 2022

Will they be awarded extra points for pissing on people's expensive jackets?

girlymonkey 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Mine already get an extra sausage as a reward for that! Pooing in people's shoes puts the grade up (the aim for that is pretty tricky!). There is category for bonus achievements too, like stealing lunches! :-D 

McHeath 01 Apr 2022

Hi, Mutt McHeath here, just logged in to my master's account to say thanks for this long-overdue addition.

Going to cause some confusion in the dog breeding world though; a Pug mate of mine has started telling everydog that he's now officially a Red Pointer. 

Moacs 01 Apr 2022

Whilst this is clearly an excellent and important development, I must protest at the inclusion of sheep in "Animals chased". This encourages irresponsible behaviour that will lead to access problems. Maybe just balls or sticks.

We already get emails from people about dog registrations, confusing us with United Kennel Club, this isn't going to help  

McHeath 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

They probably get mails asking if it's necessary to take an ice axe on a proposed winter ascent of Mount Snowdon  

Steve Woollard 01 Apr 2022

No animals were harmed in the  making of this story 🤣

im off 01 Apr 2022

What about cats. This is discrimination. I expect better. My cat regularly does laps on the front room curtain.

Sean Kelly 01 Apr 2022

On a more serious level there have been many dog ascents of many climbs & scrambles. I got my Springer up North Gully on Tryfan (winter), another dog up Deep Ghyll on Scafell, seen a dog ascent of Parsley Fern Gully (but the 2 Yorkies were in the back of rucksacks), the MR got a dog up the Parson's Nose, but he was tied on. Or should the category be Dog (a)Scents for them to log their routes?

I'm off  'dogging' now at Bone Hill!

Post edited at 10:41
 Paul Sagar 01 Apr 2022

In recent years campaigners have really been fighting to raise awareness of the place of crag cats in the UK climbing scene. UKC have even run features on them in the past. I'm thus incredibly disappointed and frankly disgusted at this blatant anti-feline bias, another illustration of canine-privilege and canine-centric bias by an outlet that should know better. If dogs are to be added to logbooks, why not cats?! Are you saying that cats don't go to crags, too?! The erase of cats from the climbing world must cease

#dobetter #justiceforcats

Blake 01 Apr 2022

Not to mention the new categorisation of offwidth - the dog leg crack.

Paul Sagar 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Zeno has been traumatised by his erasure from the climbing world and is now suffering from PTSD. This entire episode was deeply triggering for him and I’m not sure he will ever recover. UKC you should be ashamed.

tehmarks 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Blake:

Dog-Leg Crack (HVD 4a)

I think you'll find it's a hand crack.

gooberman-hill 01 Apr 2022

But seriously, I do recall the (urban?) legend from the 80's that Ron Fawcett's dog could climb UK Tech 6a.  So the story went, he was out bouldering, and soloed up a 6a slab problem. The dog took a run up at it, a flying leap and a scrabble got it to the top.

Andy Gamisou 01 Apr 2022

Ours was dog tired after his....  

Blake 01 Apr 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Dogs don't have hands... why would you grade a crack for dogs with a human hand? Makes no sense.

Stichtplate 01 Apr 2022

We’ll give it a crack but her belaying is atrocious 

tehmarks 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Blake:

You raise a very good point. And it's definitely not a paw crack...yes, offwidth it must be!

Dave Garnett 01 Apr 2022

In reply to Shani:

> Cue a big grade debate about "Three Poodle Slab".

And the paw protection at the top.

treesrockice 01 Apr 2022

I fully bit for a few minutes on this, thinking "***k first dog instagram now doggy UKC".
Excellent.

In reply to McHeath:

> Going to cause some confusion in the dog breeding world though; a Pug mate of mine has started telling everydog that he's now officially a Red Pointer. 

Our local wall has a Route Setter. Pretty badly house trained, snarls a lot and has been known to bite.

McHeath 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

😂

By the way - Q. How does a Toy Poodle surmount the lip of a roof? A. Fifi hooks.

Flinticus 01 Apr 2022

Dog bouldering...

Andy DB 01 Apr 2022

Ours actually thinks she can boulder. Though this did result in grazed pads 

Post edited at 14:59

peppermill 01 Apr 2022

Meh.

You've done far better UKC,,,,,

Then again "Doggo" (puke)  BS like this is kinda believable in 2022 so.....nice work I guess!

wercat 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I certainly go to crags and I definitely think favouritism to dogs is in evidence

Post edited at 16:08
 wercat 01 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

#MiaowToo#

C Witter 01 Apr 2022

Q. Which dog breed has the best footwork?

A. A slabrador.

Apologies. I'll let myself out.

Souljah 04 Apr 2022

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...