UKC

NEWS: First round, first minute, 9b, by Adam Ondra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Feb 2014
Adam Ondra on Vasil Vasil, 9b+, Sloup, Czech Republic, 4 kbQuite unsurprisingly Adam Ondra has made the coveted first repeat of Chris Sharma's First round, first minute, ~9b, in the Raco de la finestra sector at Margalef.
Chris Sharma made the first ascent of this short, steep, very bouldery route on 19 April 2011 and no one has been able to repeat it...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68688
 Morgan Woods 04 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

wow....i wonder how long it took him?
 ben davison 04 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

FRFM is in the Laboratori sector not Finestra.

According to 8a.nu it took Adam 9-10 days. Seems like he was always trying it on very short trips, often in bad conditions though.
 cb_6 04 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I'd be gutted if there isn't footage of this...
 FreshSlate 04 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Adam dat route thief.
 CurlyStevo 04 Feb 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Adam dat route thief.

Adam made the first repeat not the first ascent.

In reply to UKC News:

He's a diplomat, Ondra, isn't he? I like his code for 'Sharma's a technically useless lout who spent ages trying to do it all wrong. It's not that hard'.

jcm
 Michael Gordon 04 Feb 2014
In reply to Phil79:

Thanks for that
Removed User 04 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

>'... Sharma's a technically useless lout ...

> jcm

I'm not sure what that makes the rest of the climbing world. Are you sure you are reading that quite right?

In reply to Removed User:

A relative term.

jcm
 RockSteady 05 Feb 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I felt Ondra's comment was more about Sharma getting 'beta blind' after spending so long trying to put up the route.

There seems to be a pervading idea that Sharma is technically not 'all that great' just really, really strong and dynamic. Of course, being dynamic is a technique. Personally, when I watch him climb something like Jumbo Love for example, his technique looks up there with the very best. Which ties in with him being one of the only (two) people to have climbed 9b and 9b+.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Feb 2014
In reply to doylo: And it did sound like Sharma found the good beta eventually, and maybe he shared it with Ondra.

doylo 05 Feb 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Missing some beta does not mean you're technically useless. Happens to most people who do FAs
 doylo 05 Feb 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Yep its amazing how you can have tunnel vision on something you've spent so long on.
 1poundSOCKS 05 Feb 2014
In reply to doylo: Tell me about it. I spent ages on 2 purple problems down The Depot, until a helpful regular gave me some beta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...