UKC

UKC SPECIAL: Indian Face Top Trumps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Sep 2013
Indian Face Top Trumps, 6 kbTo celebrate all that is best about British summer, for the next two weeks we have a full schedule here at UKClimbing.com, with our Indian Face Special!

We have interviews with the seven ascensionists of this, the UK's first E9, with exclusive articles, first hand accounts, and even a web VIDEO EXCLUSIVE of Dave MacLeod leading the route...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68317

Dr.S at work 02 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:
what are the scores out of?
Clauso 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Dr.S at work:
>
> what are the scores out of?

The scores are descended from the Hindu-Arabic numeral system developed by Indian mathematicians, in which a sequence of digits such as "975" is read as a single number. The Indian numerals are traditionally thought to have been adopted by the Persian and Arab mathematicians in India, and passed on to the Arabs further west.

Top Trump scores aren't supposed to be 'out of' anything otherwise the game doesn't work. Different arbitrary scales are used for each one so that you have to learn what is good and bad.

Alan
 Niall 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Dr.S at work)
> [...]
>
> The scores are descended from the Hindu-Arabic numeral system developed by Indian mathematicians, in which a sequence of digits such as "975" is read as a single number. The Indian numerals are traditionally thought to have been adopted by the Persian and Arab mathematicians in India, and passed on to the Arabs further west.

975 is sterling silver.

Although it might be 925 now that I come to think of it.
 TobyA 02 Sep 2013

<...arrggghhh... I've been desperately trying to avoid saying it but just can't resist, so apologies in advance>

Jack's arse obviously.

Andy Hardy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Why did 'Ape Index' not make it as a category? (And all the other stuff come to think about it - speeding fines, nights in custody, longest fall etc)
Clauso 02 Sep 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:

Favourite owl?
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
> [...]
>
> Top Trump scores aren't supposed to be 'out of' anything otherwise the game doesn't work. Different arbitrary scales are used for each one so that you have to learn what is good and bad.

If I remember correctly the car and plane ones used to have real meaningful units like speed in mph, weight in kg etc.
 MJ 02 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Can we have similar something for the more punterish amongst us and call it 'Bottom Trumps'?
 Andy Hardy 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
>
> Favourite owl?

Whichever one scores the most?
 Dr.S at work 02 Sep 2013
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
indeed...

for some of these - such as 'character' I would also like to know the polarity of the scores - is 9 a rotter or the sort of upright chap that one would be happy to share a turkish bath with?
 MikeStuart 02 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: I think UKC should release Top Trumps climbers as an official product for people to buy

Obvs you need more climbers than the Indian Face guys for a full deck; Coxsey, Randell, Sharma, Ondra et al.
 jon 02 Sep 2013
In reply to MikeStuart26:

Are you trying to say Jack's short of a full deck?
 full stottie 02 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Brilliant idea Jack, and the perfect fodder for UKC forums. How long can climbers argue about numbers? Bloody infinitely!

Assuming you're not going to stop at Indian Face players, I can hardly wait for the introduction of new characters, including the Top Trumpesses....what a beanfeast awaits us
Clauso 02 Sep 2013
In reply to full stottie:

Never mind Top Trumps climbers, we need Top Trumps UKCers too... Categories? Trollability? No. of Bans? Weeks in Top 10 etc. etc.
 nufkin 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Clauso:

> Favourite owl?

This is also deserving of its own thread entirely
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 02 Sep 2013
In reply to Clauso: Scops
 Jonny2vests 03 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

You missed out Joseph Smith.
 ben b 03 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: I trust you have a DJViper "supertrump" - every pack needs a joker, natch...

b
 dancey1981 03 Sep 2013
I'm sure I recall a story about a guy who's missus emailed you to report he had climbed Indian Face- where's his addition?!?

Did he ever send in the photos whilst climbing it? Was he ever named?

If he doesn't come forward can I have his spot? I love Top Trumps and have soloed loads of stuff at Scugdale!
 carlos2001 03 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Oh this is so wonderful
 Blake 03 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: The article about the guy who apparently soloed it ground up is obv just a couple of kids pratting about.

I can't believe it even got coverage on here with no proof whatsoever.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=53473
In reply to UKC News: Very Daily Mail-esque, well done...
 Martin W 03 Sep 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Can we have similar something for the more punterish amongst us and call it 'Bottom Trumps'?

I see what you did there. Well done.
 geordiepie 03 Sep 2013
In reply to blake:

I was engaged in conversation by a chap claiming to be the mysterious Indian face soloist a few years back. It was at Rockover climbing in Manchester, I think I said something like "don't talk b0ll0cks man" but he insisted it was true.

Timmd 03 Sep 2013
In reply to TobyA:
>
> [...]
>
> <...arrggghhh... I've been desperately trying to avoid saying it but just can't resist, so apologies in advance>
>
> Jack's arse obviously.
>
>

lol...muffled snigger more accurately, since I'm currently eating. (This is not a comment on Jack) ()

Jonny2vests 04 Sep 2013
In reply to dancey1981:
> I'm sure I recall a story about a guy who's missus emailed you to report he had climbed Indian Face- where's his addition?!?
>
> Did he ever send in the photos whilst climbing it? Was he ever named?

Yes, his name was Joseph Smith. Ahem.
 Panick 04 Sep 2013
> If I remember correctly the car and plane ones used to have real meaningful units like speed in mph, weight in kg etc.

Id much prefer it if they were factual not subjective. bit of a shame.
 LeeWood 04 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: the return of News of the World ?
 LeeWood 04 Sep 2013
In reply to UKC News: I was genuinely interested in this hot national news but the presentation has knocked the starting blocks
 keith leonard 13 Sep 2013
In reply to nufkin:
Definitely mine is the 'teat' owl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...