UKC

OPINION: It's The End of An Era For Cairngorm Bothies - And The Start of a New One

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Over several decades a dedicated band of hill-goers has been gradually restoring the network of huts in Scotland's most Arctic mountain range. The major work may now be over, but that's far from the end of the bothy story in the Cairngorms, says John Burns.

Read more

Sean Kelly 26 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Well done to all involved. I know bothies are not everyone's cup of tea (thank god), but they hold a certain charm not found in mountaineering club huts. I was wondering is there a plan to introduce solar panels when renovating a bothy. I know snow might be a problem here at times but a south facing roof will lose the snow sooner. Anyone got any thoughts about how some modern hi-tech could be utilised?

CameronDuff14 26 Oct 2023

I always though the simplicity of bothies were key to their charm!

It's quite nice to get away from tech and electronics but still have somewhere sturdy and dry to sleep. I kind of feel if you're looking to stay somewhere with more electricity than one can carry in a power bank for phones and headtorches you might as well stay in a proper hut!

Adding solar cells (or even wind power) to a bothy would be very doable, but I'm not sure its what everyone would want. In terms of keeping solar cells snow free the best system I've come across it just someone with a broom!

Sean Kelly 26 Oct 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

> Adding solar cells (or even wind power) to a bothy would be very doable, but I'm not sure its what everyone would want. In terms of keeping solar cells snow free the best system I've come across it just someone with a broom!

A broom, now we are talking hi-tech!

Rick Graham 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Well done to all involved. I know bothies are not everyone's cup of tea (thank god), but they hold a certain charm not found in mountaineering club huts. I was wondering is there a plan to introduce solar panels when renovating a bothy. I know snow might be a problem here at times but a south facing roof will lose the snow sooner. Anyone got any thoughts about how some modern hi-tech could be utilised?

Vertically mounted solar panels are reasonably efficient  if south facing,  especially during winter and at higher latitudes like Scotland.

ScraggyGoat 26 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Don’t knock the humble Bothy broom, a sturdy wooden one can double as a crutch, as apparently one chap deduced sometime ago at the Hutchy, saving an a call out.

Sadly, generally they are plastic fantastic to stop them getting fed up the lum.

Fat Bumbly2 26 Oct 2023
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

When I was an MO, every visit was bringing a new sacrifice to the broom god. They are obviously as good at walking as spades.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...