UKC

NEWS: Jeff Lowe and Tom Frost: Two US Pioneers Pass Away RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Aug 2018
Two of America's most influential climbers have passed away on the same day yesterday, August 24th. Yosemite pioneer Tom Frost died aged 81 in California following a short battle with cancer, and mountaineering icon Jeff Lowe died aged 67 after nearly 20 years of living with an unknown ALS-related degenerative illness.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Sad news for their friends and family. In future, please can you say that people have died, instead of this rather woolly "passed away" business.

In reply to UKC News:

It was the most appropriate headline. 'Jeff Lowe and Tom Frost die'/Two US Pioneers Die' is too abrupt and to my mind implies they died together (in an accident or something). Generally I'd use 'X dies aged Y' but that's too long-winded here. 'Pass away' is generally used more often when describing the end of an illness/death from old age, in my experience.

And then there's the matter of repetition, second mentions etc. in first paragraph.

Anyway, it's late and I don't want this to derail the thread. 

In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

Well said and well written. 

This should be a thread to remember and celebrate two extraordinary people.

Post edited at 00:33
 Hans 26 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

In response to Frank the Husky - the title of the article is both well-phrased with a natural syntactic rhythm and is also respectful. Both qualities in this type of journalism need to shine through and Natalie has done a good job; the content is also complicated with historical significance done to a tight deadline.

Agreed Natalie, not to de-rail the thread. Immense respect to both climbers, and again to you for your efforts. Keep up the interesting and informative work please.

dominic o 27 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

What a great loss to the climbing community of two of the all time greats. By a quirk of fate we just got down after climbing North America Wall on El Cap,

North America Wall (A3)No match for crag id:8025

arguably Frost's finest achievement, the day before he died. We'd spent the previous night in The Igloo and been very conscious of treading in the paths of giants (Frost, Robbins, Pratt and Chouinard). What a great talent! 

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2018/08/22/a-night-in-the-igloo/

Condolences to both families 

Post edited at 00:14
 Mick Ward 27 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Two giants of world climbing, men of grace and spirit, gone from us. Rest in peace, both of you.

Mick

In reply to UKC News:

Sad news. Seeing and reading what Tom achieved in Yosemite always inspired me.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...