UKC

ARTICLE: John Appleby - A Tribute

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Mar 2022

Liverpudlian new-router and founder of the popular Footless Crow climbing blog, John Appleby, died in a climbing accident earlier this month. Mick Ward pens a tribute, originally posted in this thread. 

Read more

Sean Kelly 28 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Articles:

Well written Mick. I always wondered about the Redhead connection, and now I know. We shall all miss the Footless Crow blog. You only die once but you have every other day to make a difference. Living life without wasting a day as John has done.

Henry Iddon 28 Mar 2022

Wonderful tribute.

Blake 29 Mar 2022

Sad times... his relentless archival and writings are something I hadn't realised I was massively taking for granted. Throughout ups and downs in my climbing, lockdowns etc, John & Footless Crow were a constant source that I delved into and drifted off for a short while when I needed it. RIP.

Wil Treasure 29 Mar 2022

Lovely writing as ever Mick. I never met John either, but I always enjoyed diving into the archives of Footless Crow. A sad loss.

Ian Parnell 29 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC Articles: Blimey that’s a shock. Like Mick I never met John and I had my disagreements with him but Footless Crow stood out as a unique part of British rock climbing culture - independent, imaginative, opinionated and robust. John will be really missed.

masa-alpin 30 Mar 2022

Good tribute, Mick. Thank you for sharing…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...