UKC

OI NEWS: Mountain Hardwear Dry Q in Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 13 Jul 2011
Kenton Cool fresh from his ninth summit of Everest, 4 kbMick Ryan tries to get his head around the latest breathable fabric, Mountain Hardwear's DryQ whilst in the Langdale Valley in the Lakes, accommpanied by such outdoor luminaries as Cameron McNeish, Kenton Cool, Tim Emmett, Neil Gresham and Alex Messenger.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=3853
 TobyA 13 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Hadn't realised that Mountain Hardwear were owned by Columbia, but there is some interesting industry politics going on here as well. Columbia have made an anti-trust complaint about WL Gore to the EU: http://www.dailyhiker.com/news/columbia-sportswear-goes-after-wl-gore/

The article suggests why you seem firms that tend to be Gore firms and not Gore firms - that aren't too many mixing and matching fabrics and linings.
ice.solo 13 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA:

yeah, the Big C took over MHW maybe 2 years ago, along with montrail. the shift has been significant with a streamlining of their range thats about 2/3 of what it was (all the really cool tents are gone, plus much of their their less selling but very cool exped gear).

they are one of the few companies that do mix gore with other stuff - their own brand conduit to my experience has been a better product across the board than goretex. their short-lived incite i thought the most amazing shell ever (untill i met the new neoshell range).

these new bits will be fun to try - hopefully theres enough of a range (rather than just 4 versions of near-identical items) to really test it out. give us some bibs again. and windshell.
MHW usually nails it pretty well - just they seem to turn over designs so fast its hard to get a good perspective on them in any one season. im not that wealthy.
 TobyA 13 Jul 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

> they are one of the few companies that do mix gore with other stuff - their own brand conduit to my experience has been a better product across the board than goretex.

After posting I actually thought I wasn't really being accurate - I guess most of the big brands have their 'own brand' waterproof that no one else uses (or at least not with that name). Marmot has PreCip and Membrain, Haglöf has downpour, etc. But only Gore or eVent I guess, as REI seemed to have found out.
In reply to UKC Gear: Really looking forward to seeing some of these new jackets once they hit the market. Particularly interested to see what they come up with for trail running - will anything better my trusty Haglofs Oz(o) jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...