UKC

Scottish Winter Climbs West - Unsung Gems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 15 Nov 2022

With its inspiring photography, the new guidebook Scottish Winter Climbs West paints the popular venues of the area in a flattering light. But there's far more to winter climbing in the west and southwest highlands than hotspots like The Ben and Glen Coe. Author Neil Adams introduces some less-travelled areas well worth seeking out.

Read more

Lankyman 15 Nov 2022
In reply to UKC Articles:

Your link to Creach Bheinn goes to the wrong mountain, between Loch Creran and Loch Etive (albeit with the same name).

A fantastic, colourful book. Compiling this Guide, Neil has done a remarkable job, enthusiastically gathering information, text, topos and pictures, over a large geographic area! It will broaden horizons, of seasoned activists for sure.....

We'll done

Stuart 

Post edited at 10:34
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks. My bad - corrected that now

TechnoJim 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Stuart the postie:

It really is terrific. 

TobyA 15 Nov 2022

Looking at those pictures make me want to see what I'd need to do to be able to teach in the Scottish system! Not sure exactly my family will make of the relocation plan though... 

Yeah was delighted with my copy until  the very anemic Ben Nevis section, this seems to be because there is a new winter only guide in the offing?

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

I can confirm that there is a new definitive Ben Nevis winter climbing guidebook in production, and that it will leave nothing to be desired

It'll hopefully be ready for next winter.

dasc 15 Nov 2022
In reply to robertmichaellovell:

> I can confirm that there is a new definitive Ben Nevis winter climbing guidebook in production, and that it will leave nothing to be desired

> It'll hopefully be ready for next winter.

Is there any indication when the Winter climbs North will be available?

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 16 Nov 2022

I think SWCN is a little further off than the Ben book, primarily down to availability of photos of crags in good condition. We’ll have a better idea after the winter.

dasc 16 Nov 2022
In reply to robertmichaellovell: Thanks for the update,maybe one for next years Christmas list then !!

DaveHK 16 Nov 2022
In reply to dasc:

> Is there any indication when the Winter climbs North will be available?

Just to add a bit to what Rob said...

I took on writing SWCN part way through winter 20/21. That winter was covid disrupted and last winter was pretty mild. Through a combination of running around like a daft thing when there was snow and other people sending me photos I've got about 60% of the photos needed for topos. I'm hoping this winter will be a good one and that I can get a good chunk of the remaining photos but that's obviously uncertain. So at this point the publication date is largely in the lap of the weather gods.

If anyone is sitting on good crag shots or has a decent camera and a lot of time do please get in touch!

Cheers,

Dave

DannyC 05 Jan 2023

Got this for Christmas. Brilliant book. Well done. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...