UKC

JOBS: Store Manager - Alpkit Edinburgh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 14 Mar 2022
Role Alpkit Store Manager Location Edinburgh Hours 40 Hours per week Ethos Here at Alpkit we have a brilliant opportunity within our...

Read more

Cameron_S 14 Mar 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

No mention of salary? 

Ben Callard 14 Mar 2022
In reply to Cameron_S:

> No mention of salary? 

This must be an oversight from Alpkit as they seem to be a decent company, however not advertising a salary has been shown to reinforce the disparity between women's and men's pay. 

Pedro50 14 Mar 2022
In reply to Cameron_S:

"Heroes" don't need a salary!

eschaton 14 Mar 2022
In reply to Ben Callard:

What the hell has that got to do with it?

Post edited at 23:40
 beh 15 Mar 2022
In reply to Ben Callard:

Glancing at the current vacancies on their website (https://alpkit.com/pages/job-vacancies) it doesn't appear to be an oversight, none of them mention salary.  I can't think of any good reason not to provide this detail?

Unfortunately it's pretty common these days but you would hope for better from Alpkit given the image they've cultivated over the years.

Ben Callard 15 Mar 2022
In reply to eschaton:

> What the hell has that got to do with it?

It's about equality, and the gender pay gap. Look it up.   

Run_Ross_Run 15 Mar 2022
In reply to Ben Callard:

> This must be an oversight from Alpkit as they seem to be a decent company, however not advertising a salary has been shown to reinforce the disparity between women's and men's pay. 

Is the vacancy for a specific sex only then? 

eschaton 15 Mar 2022
In reply to Ben Callard:

The advert is about Alpkit, and the Edinburgh store Manager vacancy- look it up. 

If you do you'll find none of the adverts have a salary or hourly rate included- do you think as a company they set out to cheat a few women here and there of a few grand a year? 

Ben Callard 15 Mar 2022
In reply to eschaton: 

> If you do you'll find none of the adverts have a salary or hourly rate included- do you think as a company they set out to cheat a few women here and there of a few grand a year? 

No, I don't think they are trying to cheat anyone out of anything. I really like alpkit and have bought loads of stuff from them, but not advertising a salary is poor. As women are on average paid less than men, when asked what their current salary, or salary expectation is, there is a good chance it will be less than the equivalent man. Therefore continuing the gender pay gap in our society. 

Ben Callard 15 Mar 2022
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Is the vacancy for a specific sex only then? 

It doesn't say that it is. What's your point?

James FR 16 Mar 2022
In reply to Ben Callard:

Here in the EU a new directive is coming into effect in August, making it compulsory to give an actual indication of salary for all job adverts. Maybe this is a genuine Brexit benefit for companies like Alpkit who don't like to advertise salaries for their vacancies 😉

tehmarks 16 Mar 2022
In reply to eschaton:

> ...do you think as a company they set out to cheat a few women here and there of a few grand a year? 

That the effect exists doesn't mean that it's deliberate on the part of Alpkit. It's still poor practice though. It's also, regardless of gender pay disparity issues, frustrating to anyone who would like to know roughly how well-paid the job is before deciding to commit time and effort to applying. It's basic information, and there's no genuine reason to not include it when advertising a job.

In reply to James FR:

It’s not just Alpkit. I often check the job adverts on UKC, out of curiosity more than anything, and find that salary is rarely mentioned.

Perhaps UKC readers should lobby UKC not to except job adverts that don’t state the salary. 

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

100% this  I wouldn't ever apply if the Salary wasn't advertised.

In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Not advertising salary is simply a way for employers to try to lowball you at interview. It's like they forget that people work for MONEY. If they're not advertising even a range or starting salary I wouldn't bother applying out of principle. 

Poor form from Alpkit. 

Rob Parsons 20 Mar 2022

> It’s not just Alpkit. I often check the job adverts on UKC, out of curiosity more than anything, and find that salary is rarely mentioned.

> Perhaps UKC readers should lobby UKC not to except job adverts that don’t state the salary. 

UKC is just a business. You can deal with it as you want to - and as your ethics dictate - but in this case the responsible entity involved is the Alpkit company.

The Alpkit company generally seems to get quite a fawning ride on this forum. I have never had anything to do with them but, if you believe that they are acting unethically by not indicating salaries as part of their job advertisements, then act accordingly. The only real power consumers have is how they spend their money.

Hi Tom,

We're going to add a new field for the job ad submission page to save the salary. I don't think we'll make it mandatory but we'll strongly advise that it's used in the future. I can't guarantee when these changes will take place as we're pretty busy with some big backend changes at the mo, but it's at the top of the to-do list once that's done. 

Thanks for the feedback!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...