UKC

DIGITAL FEATURE: The Finest Crags in the UK & Ireland: Range East, Pembroke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 18 Jan 2019
The Moore on The MinotaurThe jagged coastline of south Pembrokeshire is undeniably home to some of the best sea-cliff climbing in the UK, perhaps in the world (some would say). In just a few miles of coastline, there are over 3000 routes on some of the best limestone in the country. There is no place in the UK where the density of top-quality climbing is as high as it is in Pembroke.

Read more
 kevin stephens 18 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC Articles:

Pembroke is a county not a crag, you may as well do an article on Derbyshire or Caernarfonshire. Most of the routes referred to are classics so I imagine very little news to most climbers. How about a photo article on, say, Rusty Walls or any other single Pembrokeshire crag?

In reply to kevin stephens:

I'm not sure whether you've had a look through the article, but it very much focusses on Range East (as opposed to Pembroke as a whole). That said, the title is - as you say - quite misleading so I'll see if we can get that sorted (ed. that's now sorted).

In terms of the feature itself, don't be lulled into believing that everyone knows what the classics are. I certainly didn't when I first visited the area, and it's not like the old 1995 guidebook did much to enlighten me. That said, it's far easier to find out these days courtesy of articles such as this and the fantastic array of guidebooks that area available for the area.

Even if you have heard of them, or done them, how could you fail to be inspired by some of the images. Whilst I'm clearly biased, my personal favourite is (unsurprisingly) the one of fellow UKC Team Member Theo Moore having what looks to be some sort of episode on the Minotaur.

If you're after esoteric bear with, because we've got something in the pipeline this Spring by local lad Stefan Morris, so watch this space...

Post edited at 14:53
 kevin stephens 18 Jan 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

I love Pembroke and the pictures in the article are great. The articles I’ve enjoyed most from this series are those introducing me to crags I wasn’t so aware of or had overlooked. One final comment; I personally feel the reference of Gary Gibson as “bolt man” in the introduction may rather undermine his massive contribution to development of trad climbing in Pembroke. Wasn’t it one of the other developers who placed the bolt on Romany? Having said all that it is an enjoyable read even if nothing new

Post edited at 15:14

At the end of the day it is part of a series entitled 'The Finest Crags in the UK & Ireland', so its focus is very much on the classics. Maybe you'd overlooked a few of them, but sooner or later we were bound to publish one to an area that's familiar - we can't win every time (sadly).

That said, we can score the occasional victory point with the countless destination articles we publish - all of which are in the archives. Over the past 6 months we've had a few off-piste beauties including Hostile Terrain: Trad Adventures in North Devon and Cornwall, Spittal Crag: Northumberland, Hodge Close DWS, and Donegal.

When it comes to Gary I am unsure as to whether or not "bolt man" (Mike's words, not mine) were in reference to the bolts placed in Pembroke or a more general remark as to his latter day bolting and development. He has, after all, placed more bolts than anyone else! Irrespective of the answer I am looking forward to reading all about it in his forthcoming autobiography, which is apparently due out later this year.

More information on that to follow...

Post edited at 15:32
 Stefan_Morris 18 Jan 2019

> Pembroke is a county not a crag..

If we're really splitting hairs, Pembroke is a Town  

pneame 19 Jan 2019

Love these series. They really highlight what a great variety of climbing is in the UK, even in one place. 

Never climbed in Pembroke....

First time I was in Pembroke I was 8 and had to be rescued by my Dad (and the dog) as I tried a dirretissima up some grassy exposed ridge. Lost my bottle about 100 ft up. 

Last time was for a mate's wedding sometime in the 90s and I was in full touron mode.  Gorgeous coastline. Fantastic geology. 

Thanks for putting these articles together

danm 19 Jan 2019

Any article which features Fatboy wearing a vest gets my vote. Some of the other shots and the writing were OK, I suppose.

Blimey you get given something for free and you complain because it's not exactly what you wanted.

Don't worry Rob, I enjoyed it, and I live in Pembroke (shire).

Blake 30 Jan 2019

Strange character encoding issue rendered in my browser (chrome). Was't detrimental to my experience; another class article. Thought I'd mention it... it's easily fixed.

i.e.

"

If this isn?€?t challenging enough then Gary Gibson?€?s Circus, 

"

In reply to Blake:

Thanks for the feedback, this isn't the first time this particular gremlin has crept out of the cupboard - I'll let the Developers know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...