UKC

NEWS: USA's Lisa Rands grabs second Grit E8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 18 Apr 2006
On her second day trying Gaia, Rands was ready for the lead but was thwarted by bad weather; either too warm, too cold, too wet or too windy. As grit aficionados know conditions are crucial on God's rock especially when you are putting your life on the line.

Read the full report at UKClimbing.com news:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 willhunt 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Thats some serious waddage. Congrats
TimS 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: What a beast, and what a route to choose as your second E8. I hope she got some hard bouldering done too - I'm definitely looknig forward to that Dose.
 tobyfk 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Wow ... I hear even John Cox's dog hasn't managed that one yet.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=25335
 Tom Briggs 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
>
> Compare and contrast http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=177562
>
> Norrie

I top-roped Gaia clean a couple of times the other week, in-between snow showers. I imagine the start is a pretty hard boulder problem if you're less than 6 foot. If you're over 6 foot, it's an 'easy 6b' reach. The top bit is probably significantly easier if you have long arms too. In other words, we already know that The Dawes was a genius. Gaia might be one of the most climbed grit E8s, but for shorties, it actually involves some hard moves. In terms of the line and the quality, I think the climbing on Gaia is probably better than any route on gritstone.

Samson. Notoriously graded E9 7b. I tried this on a top rope a few times some years ago. Not really a line with one desperate weird deadpoint. In some ways, I'm surprised it's taken so long to get a repeat, but maybe not at Highball Font 8a?

In terms of newsworthiness. They both are. I know quite a lot of the top British women climbers and they are into climbing hard, safe routes. None of them are really into pushing it on the grit. Lisa doesn't seem too worried about the danger of headpointing. Her US sponsors don't really understand grit or how the grades translate, so it's not as if she gets much kudos back home for it. Welford's repeat is significant, really cos the route has a 'history' (i.e. being given a daft grade). He does seem to be being v modest though about a solo, which, one can imagine if someone else had done, would have been well-hyped.

Most inspirational. Well done Lisa.
 The sharp end 19 Apr 2006

Awesome!

ceri 19 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: We saw her practicing it a week last friday- went down for a bit of bouldering, wondered what the poor camera dude was doing suspended up a rock for so long and went to investigate!
glad she made it eventually though, the day we were there it kept trying to rain and she said "dont think i'll make it today". well done- looks impossible to me!
Imperium 19 Apr 2006

> on God's rock

You don't have talk some shite Mick.

Good effort to the lass though.
OP Michael Ryan 19 Apr 2006
In reply to Imperium:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> [...]
>
> You don't have talk some shite Mick.

God's Rock? I think I first heard that from the mouth of the grit prophet Jerry Peel (he often talks in tongues) in the 1980's at a Yorkshire Grit guidebook meeting in some Leeds pub.
TimS 19 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: God's Own Rock please...
The best of which is obviously found in God's Own County at God's Own Crag.
 Fume Troll 19 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Good effort. I hope the Americans don't slag her off too much for headpointing it!

Cheers,

FT.
 GrahamD 19 Apr 2006

Out of interest, what is the tally now of women who have climbed E8 ? and on grit ?
 Adam Lincoln 19 Apr 2006
In reply to GrahamD:

Just Lisa, twice isnt it? EOTA and Gaia
hugedyno 19 Apr 2006

Yeah, but I mean she didn't onsight or ground - up it did she ? Plus, its 3 grades below the new ' cutting edge ' of E 11, so is it still legit to headpoint ? Especially since she's supposed to be one of the USA's top rockstars.

HD.
palomides 19 Apr 2006
In reply to hugedyno:

As she's only 5'4'' tall, she can be considered to be on the cutting edge of short climbers.
hugedyno 19 Apr 2006
In reply to palomides:
> (In reply to hugedyno)
>
> As she's only 5'4'' tall,

Thank God we had the Dawes 20 years ago ! ;¬P

HD.

Anonymous 19 Apr 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Not bad, but what has she ever done on culm?
 Paul B 20 Apr 2006

Good tick.

On the news article side:

"Her other notable hard grit ascents include White Lines E7 6b/c at Curbar Edge in 2003 and Shine On E7/8 6c at Stanage in 2005"

Where does the info on shine on come from? Isnt it generally regarded as soft for E7?
OP Michael Ryan 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Paul B:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> Where does the info on shine on come from? Isnt it generally regarded as soft for E7?

Jon Read's Grit List

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/4755/climbing/gritlist/grit_e8.html

Shine On E8 6c Stanage Solo. The roof and disappointingly poor pockets left of BAW's Crawl. Three powerful moves above an unpleasant landing, but not as serious as others, therefore bottom-end E8, if not E7 really. A very similar proposition to Moon Madness .

Jon Read 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Paul B:
Robin Barker gave it E8 after the first ascent. I've heard Parry and Vickers made short work of it soon after, commenting Yorkshire E6 or the like. Would probably seem exceptionally soft for E7 with a highball attitude (and appropriate entourage) but then you're not really taking E-grade anymore.

Where does "generally regarded as soft for E7" info come from, Paul?

In contrast, White Lines was given E6 6c by Dawes at the time, but he was probably nearing his peak. Very few ascents (perhaps just Dave Pritchard?) until 2000s. Pete Robins thought E7. I think 6b. Voila! E7 6b.
 Jon Read 20 Apr 2006
I would like to say that I think a US rock-star coming over here and ticking off some of the best hard routes on grit is a fine praiseworthy achievement, female or male. I think it's brilliant - don't know what rockclimbing.com subscribers make of it though.
 Paul B 20 Apr 2006
Once again - Fair enough mick..

Jon: Comes from talking to ascentionists before this winter about the route, but as you say I think most of them went for the padded/highball option. I was more interested to know where the 8 had come from.
 Jon Read 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Paul B:
Ok, no probs. Probably felt like an E8 for Barker with only a Jon Barton for padding.
 Paul B 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Jon Read: sorry if it came across as rude (should start reading my posts back through i think).
 Jon Read 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Paul B: No, dont worry, I didn't read it that way.

Wonder if anyone in sheffield is disputing the E8 tags yet for Gaia and EOTA now even a foreign girl has climbed them?
In reply to Anonymous: 'Not bad, but what has she ever done on culm?' bizzarre, I was just wondering that myself

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...