UKC

Accurate Dead Hang Timer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Scott 26 Jan 2021

Does anyone know of a good way to accurately time how long you can hang for? To the tenths of a second for example. I'm hoping that knowing its being measured accurately will help me want to hang on just that little bit longer and make my spreadsheets all the sweeter.

Being a uber nerd I've got a timer that is used for timing Rubik's Cubes and Stacker Cups (https://speedstacks.uk/product/stackmat-pro-timer/) that I have tried using but it is less than ideal. It starts the timer as soon as you take your feet off but you have to be fairly accurate landing on it and I'm worried it'll break eventually.

I'm thinking of something like the pressure pad they use to set off the timer for Speed Climbing.

Any ideas?

Post edited at 22:25
 ian caton 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Pete Scott:

Electronic metronome. Just keeps clicking away at what ever unit of time you want. 

mik82 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Pete Scott:

Could you mount the hangboard on a load cell? Interface it with a raspberry pi and write a script that will start and stop a timer when load is applied. You could measure force applied too, and graph it over time to show progress. 

JLS 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Pete Scott:

Zlagboards do that sort of thing...

https://zlagboard.com/

C Witter 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Pete Scott:

Thanks for putting my obsessive tendencies into much needed perspective

nikoid 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Pete Scott:

I'm going off at a tangent, but I thought dead hanging wasnt very good for you, although I can't remember why. 

Phil79 27 Jan 2021
In reply to nikoid:

Ok I'll bite. 

If done correctly, with proper form, loading, grip type, work and rest period etc, its an excellent way to improve finger strength/forearm endurance in a measurable fashion, which relates very well to climbing.    

Now, get back under yer bridge!

Mike Nolan 27 Jan 2021
In reply to JLS:

You could do this with a Tindeq Progressor too, and they’re a little cheaper than a Zlagboard. The data you get from their app is pretty useful, and you can export into excel to see even more numbers. 

Hanging for as long as possible doesn’t sound like the most specific way to train finger endurance though...

marky 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Pete Scott: I just use the timer on my iPhone using voice control to start as soon as I lift my feet off the floor - works a treat.

JIMBO 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Do these suggestions of zlagboard and tindeq measure max hang time as per max hangs for strength or do they give countdowns for repeaters more for endurance?

Mike Nolan 27 Jan 2021
In reply to JIMBO: Max hangs aren’t typically to do with max hang time. They are max weight for a set period of time, which a countdown timer will accomplish. The most common max hang protocol would be a 10 second hang. 

However, to answer your question, yes the Tindeq will measure the total time under tension and could be used in the way you describe. 

OP Pete Scott 27 Jan 2021

My thinking was not to use it for training as much as an accurate measure of current strength. Maybe measure monthly to chart progress or something.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...