UKC

Beastmaker screws

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beefy_legacy 18 Mar 2020

Anyone mounted a BM 1000 directly into masonry using the screws provided (using rawl plugs of course). Work ok? Would rather not put it into plywood first if possible. Any tips?

misterb 18 Mar 2020
In reply to beefy_legacy:

Any Screws go into rawlplugs 

Measure the distance each one pokes out from the back of the board before mounting it to the wall

If That is longer than a rawlplug  then drill the hole deep enough for 2 and put 2 in the hole before screwing to the wall

If it's only a bit the just drill the hole deep enough so the screw can come out of the back of the one plug

Or use the right length screws,any no6 ones will do

Job done

olddirtydoggy 18 Mar 2020

Not familiar with the screws and plugs provided but might be able to suggest something better. For heavy duty fixings I use 7.5 torx frame fixing screws. The size of drill bit will depend on the type of masonary. Low density breeze block will require a 6mm drill bit, thermalite a 5.5mm but hard red brick will need a 6.5mm. Just make sure you don't drill too deep if going through a single skin brick wall as you might be hanging your coat on the tip of the screw on the other side of the wall. Good luck.

OP beefy_legacy 18 Mar 2020
In reply to misterb:

Thanks. Good tips. I only hang things a couple of times a year but I think wood screws might strip as they’re not strong enough? Or does it only matter with metal? Is number 6 imperial measurement? They only give the length of those supplied - 70mm, 60mm and 50mm.

OP beefy_legacy 18 Mar 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Cheers. I only know the lengths of those supplied in my reply below. Are you talking about these?

Looks like might be a safe option if I can get them delivered before London gets locked down.

The wall is ancient brick, a real pig to drill into. Hanging curtains I had to use every drill bit from 3 up. Should be well held when it’s in I think.

https://www.toolstation.com/masonry-torx-frame-fixing-screw/p12879

misterb 18 Mar 2020

nahh once the board is on the wall and tight up it will be fine for sure

I think it comes with no6 screws if i remember right and they go into the red rawlplug fine and the brown ones too

OP beefy_legacy 19 Mar 2020
In reply to misterb:

Cheers will give it a go.

olddirtydoggy 19 Mar 2020

Yes, those are the ones we use at work for heavy use fixings. We tend to use screws and plugs for lighter work. Screws and plugs are fine for most things but we do tend to over fix our work to make sure we don't get called back. If you're drilling hard, red brick I'd go straight in with a 6.5mm bit using an sds drill, make sure you use a depth stop or a piece of sticky tape on the drill bit so you don't pop out the other side of the wall. The screwdriver will have a good work out getting them in.

Post edited at 09:41
 flour 19 Mar 2020

No6 screws would be imperial and are quite small (3.5mm diameter?)

No12 would be the imperial size you need. The number refers to the guage

However I suspect these are 6mm diameter screws and 6 of these would be strong enough. I think the main force would be shear (downwards) not pull (outwards) 

Red plugs would be too small for these (compare the diameter of the plug to that of the screw and this would be obvious)

Use Brown plugs, suitable screw sizes will be indicated on the box.

Or go belt and braces as per Olddirtydoggy (edit)

Post edited at 10:01
 deepsoup 19 Mar 2020
In reply to misterb:

> I think it comes with no6 screws if i remember right and they go into the red rawlplug fine and the brown ones too

No6 screws are tiny (about 3.5mm), so it can't be those.  They do (just) work with a red Rawlplug, at the bottom end of its size range (much too small for a brown one) - but a red Rawlplug is also too small for mounting a Beastmaker.  

Might you be mixing up imperial with metric sizes?  6mm is equivalent to a No12 screw, which fits in a brown Rawlplug (at the top end of its size range).

deepsoup 19 Mar 2020

> Any tips?

With apologies if any of the following is stating the bleedin' obvious...

You may find it easier to mark the position of the holes on a piece of cardboard first (lay it on the card and mark through the holes - use a nail or a screw if you can't fit a pencil or whatever through), then tape the card to the wall to transfer the marks.  (Or does a BM come supplied with a template like a new boiler?)

While you are drilling, the bottom of a cereal box or something taped to the wall just under the hole will catch most of the dust and make the cleanup a lot quicker and easier.

If you are in any doubt, put one fixing in and nip it up loosely to hold the BM in place but allow it to rotate while you pop a spirit level across the top of the jugs, get it perfectly level and then mark the positions for the remaining holes.

When you come to screw it into place, get all the screws started off before you tighten any one of them up.

Traditional yellow/red/brown Rawlplugs still work fine, but there are better designs around these days.
Eg: https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-fx-nylon-wall-plugs-8mm-100-pack/4485g

These are relatively expensive, but a bit more versatile:  https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawl-4-all-wall-plugs-10mm-50-pack/2804...
(Twice the price isn't twice the price though - you only get 50 rather than 100 for roughly the same price.  For DiY purposes if you're going to have left-overs rattling around in a toolbox forever, it hardly matters.)

Best of luck - and remember we're all trying to be extra careful not to be a burden on the NHS at the mo!

Tigger 19 Mar 2020

I used their screws and went straight into brick, I think it looks neater without ply backing if in honest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...