UKC

Best climbing wall in Bristol for a 5yo

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

I'd like to take my 5yo niece bouldering at a wall in Bristol. She's never been before and I've never been to any climbing walls here - where should I take her?

nikoid 06 Apr 2024
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I would go to Bloc, loads of room, bright and airy, good coffee, parking OK  ( go round the back through the coffee roasters unit). They have a clip and climb section as well with fun stuff for the kids. 

In reply to nikoid:

Thanks.

pencilled in 06 Apr 2024

I’d take a child to Flashpoint or TCA over Bloc any day of the week. There always seems to be some sort of visible risk whenever I’ve gone there. Flashpoint is also a shared space with Freedog, so it’s kind of geared up for 5 yr olds a bit better than TCA in my opinion. 

Bobling 06 Apr 2024
In reply to pencilled in:

Go to Flashpoint/Freedog though and surely any self respecting five year old will walk past the boring climbing wall to the massive room full of trampolines? 

Joyce 07 Apr 2024

Morning Campers,

May I be so bold as to suggest TCA's The Arc in Chippenham. Definitely not in Bristol but not far. It has a boulder room geared towards kids, another boulder room and a roped wall with 6 auto-belays in case that takes your collective fancy. There's also a skatepark and an excellent playground outside too. In our house, we call it 'the family wall'. Our two sprogs (5 and 8) love a bit of an Arc Grand Tour.

Having said that, we had a very nice time at TCA Mothership in Bristol last week (great cake), and several problems for the kids but it did all feel.more grown up and less kid-tastic than The Arc, if ya know what I mean.

Chur, Team

Joyce

PaulJepson 07 Apr 2024

I've not climbed in Bristol for a couple of years but TCA and Flashpoint were the better climbing walls, depending on which side of the city you're on. 

Having said that, if it was for a kid I would be inclined to say that Bloc was better. 

You won't go too wrong with any of them though; all good walls with lots of climbing. Maybe go with the one which is least annoying in terms of signing up/day passes/signing kids in (because it can be outrageously time-consuming and expensive for a one-off).

Lhod 08 Apr 2024

I climb regularly at TCA as an adult but think it's pretty poor actually for a 5 year old (I have a 5 and 3 year old), lots of it is steep and very few problems where they can reach between the holds.

Bloc is a bit better, more slabby/vertical, some circuits for shorties, and a small section focused on kids.

Redpoint has a bouldering section which is great for kids with some easy traversing and a children's tunnel inside the wall. There's not loads of it but it's plenty for a visit. There's loads of easy top roping if you have a childs harness and plan to do that. 

nikoid 08 Apr 2024
In reply to pencilled in:

> I’d take a child to Flashpoint or TCA over Bloc any day of the week. There always seems to be some sort of visible risk whenever I’ve gone there. Flashpoint is also a shared space with Freedog, so it’s kind of geared up for 5 yr olds a bit better than TCA in my opinion. 

Visible risk? I'm intrigued.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...