UKC

Fingerboarding - what "aid"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Olaf Prot 02 Jan 2022

I've managed to clear enough space in the garage to put up my old fingerboard. As I haven't done much recently (and may have put on the odd ounce or three in lockdown) I don't want to leap straight back into doing one finger pull ups from the matchstick edges, so was thinking of using something as (a) foot loop(s). Any ideas what is best, a bungee-type arrangement or a sling?...or something else? Suggestions welcome/

OP

TheGeneralist 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Olaf Prot:

I use bungee cord.

No idea why this piece of shit editor isn't allowing me to paste a link.

Red bungee from b&q

Post edited at 18:52
 neilh 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Olaf Prot:

Try Decathlon bands 

john arran 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Olaf Prot:

The system I used to use was 10m of 6mm (I think) bungee cord, coiled into 5 loops and then with a big overhand knot near one end, effectively giving 5 x 1m loops. Hanging this from the pull-up bar that my board was also hanging from gave me the option of 5 different levels of assistance, so I could do pyramid hangs with progressively increasing and then decreasing load. Worked well, though you need to be aware that you could land pretty awkwardly if you slip off a sloper, so some cushions underneath you are a good idea.

Steve Claw 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Olaf Prot:

Try doing it with your feet on the floor, but only weighting them a little bit, or what ever feels about right to allow you to last 10 seconds.

In reply to Steve Claw:

> Try doing it with your feet on the floor, but only weighting them a little bit, or what ever feels about right to allow you to last 10 seconds.

Are we still talking about fingerboarding? 

In reply to Olaf Prot:

If you can use a pulley to offset some weight I'd recommend that. It's far easier to quantify the level of intensity like this compared to using a band. 

OP Olaf Prot 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Olaf Prot:

Thanks all, sounds like bungees are the way forward...hadn't thought about the possibility of slipping out!

PaulJepson 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Steve Claw:

If you use a set of bathroom scales instead of just the ground, you can take your weight off the reading and see what assistance you're getting. 

douwe 02 Jan 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

Second the bathroom scales.

Very easy method and it allows you to methodically decrease the assistance you're getting until you're hanging feet free.

Yes, it is still fingerboading even if you're not fully hanging off your fingers. The concept is based on methodically increasing the load you're applying onto your fingers in a certain grip type over a certain period of time. This load doesn't have to be bodyweight per se.

HakanT 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Olaf Prot:

+1 for the Decathlon resistance bands. I have three of them with different strengths. That way you have some measure of progression as you make your way back to the pinkie pull-ups.

duchessofmalfi 04 Jan 2022
In reply to HakanT:

Old bike inner tubes work and are free if you (a) have a bike and (b) have a lot of blackthorn (trees or cider bottles) on your commute. It's worth cutting the valves off before using.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...