UKC

Heavy legs + steep climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 27 Oct 2020

Someone humour me, does anyone struggle with heavy legs? Maybe I should skip leg day... 

afx22 27 Oct 2020
In reply to dinodinosaur:

I have a background in various forms of biking, so have heavier legs than most climbers.  But iI like steep stuff and cutting loose.  Holding tension, when really stretched out, is a weakness of mine but I think heavy legs are just one of many factors there.

ChrisBrooke 27 Oct 2020

‘Heavy legs’ is one of my favourite excuses! They’re the reason I’m not very good at: steep stuff, crimpy stuff, overhangs, sit starts, dynos,......erm anything really. Can’t really use it for being rubbish at slabs.... and still....

pec 27 Oct 2020

> Someone humour me, does anyone struggle with heavy legs?

John Dunne never seemed to to be troubled by having legs that would put a top class downhill ski racer to shame.

Post edited at 23:12
 MischaHY 28 Oct 2020

If you're struggling to keep your legs on then your core (not just abs) is the weak link, plus probably foot technique. Body positioning changes quite significantly on steep ground and one reason many people struggle is they attempt to apply the same principles as on slab/vertical/lightly overhanging terrain of keeping hips in, whereas with steep climbing that will quickly knacker the core and require much more force to keep the feet on. Instead, it's better to use a lot more twisting and drop knees to make longer moves, and focus on keeping the core tight when stretching out. 

I am 78kg/173cm with muscular legs from a decade of mountain biking - I've always viewed it as positive as it means my joints are robust and well supported, I can work leg intensive positions such as hooks, bicycles and kneebars really well and I can drive loads of power through small footholds. I personally wouldn't recommend deliberately bulking legs up with squats but a strong base is very useful. 

bouldery bits 28 Oct 2020

I've got a heavy arse.

Is that the same?

Ally Smith 28 Oct 2020
In reply to MischaHY:

Why all the haters on these comments?

I'm a similarly "heavy legged" climber - 82kg and 185cm and I still happily put out 800W on the bike in a short sprint and <7min 2k ergo row.

Being taller and heavier does make a bigger demand on your core and on using efficient technique.

Sure, there are scrawny legged whippet sports climbers out there, but I can speak from personal experience that weighty legs won't hold you back <8b <8A <E6 and are a definite benefit on WI6!

In reply to Ally Smith:

> Why all the haters on these comments?

They must just be jealous of those of us who are blessed with big legs

I'm in the same boat though: a lifetime of running/cycling hasn't done my legs any favours as far as bouldering/sport climbing is concerned, but they've been a blessing whilst trad/alpine climbing, so it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

MischaHY 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Ally Smith:

> Why all the haters on these comments?

I get this constantly tbh. No idea why, so I've given up wondering! 

jkarran 28 Oct 2020

> Someone humour me, does anyone struggle with heavy legs?

Just rest them on the footholds and you'll do ok.

jk

Basemetal 28 Oct 2020

Is it a case of your cycling-recruited muscles are very well developed but the others and their auxiliaries less so? Like those used for lateral leg raises, or snowploughing skis for example. Or could your muscles have developed to suit the limited range of pedal movement. If you've been in the gym or multi-sports it's hardly likely to be the issue, but just a thought.

I've been reading that cycling primarily benefits cardiovascular fitness, and I've noticed an improvement in calf strength, but it isn't the all-round exercise I thought it was. Upper body tends to get an  isometric workout, but range of movement for legs is limited and mostly in one plane. 

Flinticus 28 Oct 2020

Try doing some slack lining.

I'm not sure what heavy legs are though mine are certainly not bouldering legs due to hiking and backpacking.

I found great core benefit from slack lining (though I'll probably lose some as I can't see the line coming out much over the winter). Got myself back to pre-lockdown climbing grade levels despite a still reduced upper body strength.

mark s 29 Oct 2020

I don't think any climber can heavy legs are holding them back. I've never seen a Tom platz on the crag. 

oldie 29 Oct 2020

Reminds me of a climbing mag cartoon strip (Crags ?)(80s/90s?) where an ambitious climber progressively cuts down on their weight by sequential limb amputations until they are the best in the universe with one arm + one finger remaining.

ElArt 01 Nov 2020

I’ve struggled with heavy legs. Lost 10% weight  and they’re still strong but skinny for the first time. If you can do, diet, if not, don’t but I think it does make a difference... if you eat in a healthy way. As M said strong Core and legs helped on steep rock for years. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...