UKC

anti ball

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 osheye 02 Feb 2024

hi all ,reviews on the best anti ball crampon please ,( hope we get weather to use them) thanks .

CantClimbTom 02 Feb 2024
In reply to osheye:

Heavy duty carrier bag or rubble sack plastic - is your friend.

In reply to osheye:

I've only experiece of Grivel and Petzl. Grivel better

TobyA 02 Feb 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Heavy duty carrier bag or rubble sack plastic - is your friend.

In what way? I've made a number of home made anti-balling plates over the years, but finding a way to keep them attached to your crampons is surprisingly tricky. I don't see how bits of a rubble sack would stay attached for a day of crampon use, let alone longer term. 

OP - I've yet to find a problem with more modern purpose made anti-bots. I've had these CT crampons for well over a decade. https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/snow+ice/ice_axes/climbing_technology_nupts... They get some use each winter and, for various reasons, I'll often use them if I know I'm going to be walking over rocks a lot (lower snow conditions typical in the Lakes and Wales, as opposed to Scotland). The anti-bots are scuffed and worn but still work perfectly well and show no signs of breaking. But then again, my main technical crampons for climbs are BD Snaggletooth, and I've had no problems with the anti-bots they have on, and I've had them for something like 7 or 8 winters now. The early 00s ones that were more rubbery would perish and break (seen it with those on my Grivel G12s and DMM Terminators) but now most manufacturers seem to use a harder plastic this doesn't seem to be an issue.

ExiledScot 02 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

I always found dmm rubber wouldn't last, or it stretched and ice/snow found its way between. Petzl plastic are a bit better, but I like their crampons less. Different crampons for different weather and days. 

DaveHK 02 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

> In what way? I've made a number of home made anti-balling plates over the years, but finding a way to keep them attached to your crampons is surprisingly tricky. I don't see how bits of a rubble sack would stay attached for a day of crampon use, let alone longer term. 

Same here.

ExiledScot 02 Feb 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> Same here.

Gaffer tape is a good emergency measure, but as soon as the edges fray they start to hold onto the snow. 

Mr. Lee 02 Feb 2024
In reply to osheye:

What do you plan to use the crampons for? Never had problems with any of the Grivel crampons I've used. G14, Rambo IV, G22(+). All seem to do the job and are hard wearing enough, with replaceable parts.

George Ormerod 02 Feb 2024
In reply to osheye:

I’ve found no problems with Grivel, Petzl and BD.  I have crampons that the anti ball plates have lasted years and are still effective. Can’t comment on DMM. 

nniff 02 Feb 2024
In reply to osheye:

Bleach bottle plastic and a few lengths of coat hanger wire.  Make a cardboard template first.  If you make it a little bit oversize, the resultant tension helps ping the snow off.  A decent pair of scissors is sufficient and a hole punch is good for making tear-resistant holes.  Been using these for years.  The current set is a fetching purple. 

Zip ties (you can get cold-temperature ones) are OK, but a bit prone to snapping.   Easy to replace of course.

Bleach bottles have important words of wisdom printed on the side - 'Stand upright is a cool place' . What more do you need to know?

petegunn 02 Feb 2024
In reply to osheye:

I bought a sheet of some 4mm rubber matting and attached it with small zip ties, going strong after 2 seasons use.

DizzyVizion 02 Feb 2024
In reply to TobyA:

> OP - I've yet to find a problem with more modern purpose made anti-bots. I've had these CT crampons for well over a decade. https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/snow+ice/ice_axes/climbing_technology_nupts... 

I bought the Climbing Technology Nuptse crampons on the strength of your review.

They have been fantastic value. No balling issues. Plus crampon bag included.

I've given them a pretty decent kicking, and they just keep on ticking!

A replacement for a pair of Black Diamond Contact crampons, which I had no issues with either tbh.

But the Climbing Technology crampons do feel more sturdy/longer lasting.

French Erick 04 Feb 2024
In reply to osheye:

With, as well as without, you’ll still need to learn to regularly hit your crampons with the shaft of your axe. When it’s balling snow conditions, it will ball enough underfoot that it becomes dangerously slippy. 
Mind, you will notice quicker without as each foot weighs 2kg.

I have climbed with Grivel G14s for nigh on 2 decades (pair #2) and never lost the balling rubber on either.

whwpaul 06 Feb 2024
In reply to nniff:

"Keep in a dry place and away from Children"

nniff 06 Feb 2024
In reply to whwpaul:

> "Keep in a dry place and away from Children"

That works too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...