UKC

Ben Nevis North Face Parking Payment Operational?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 steve_gibbs 27 Feb 2024

Anyone know if the RingGo parking at Ben Nevis North Face carpark is operational?

We tried to pay, but the app stated the parking location not recognised, or something similar. Several others we spoke to similarly couldn't get it to work.

Have they simply installed the sign with the QR code, but not yet installed any ANPR cameras, barriers, etc?

It's only £3, so we don't resent paying, but wish they had better system of payment. Though you think they'd use the money to fill the potholes!

sandrow 27 Feb 2024
In reply to steve_gibbs:

> Anyone know if the RingGo parking at Ben Nevis North Face carpark is operational?

> We tried to pay, but the app stated the parking location not recognised, or something similar. Several others we spoke to similarly couldn't get it to work.

RingGo is the least user-friendly of all the parking apps. I've had to use it for Bradford & Cornish car parks - the experience can be fraught!

nathan79 27 Feb 2024
In reply to sandrow:

I've only used Ringo a couple of times when the coin payment option was out of order. Was annoyed to find that there's an additional charge for paying via Ringo. Not much mind you, 20p or so, but it's the principal.

Liam Taylor 27 Feb 2024
In reply to steve_gibbs:

I tried to pay about 3 weeks ago, lost my patience and ended up not bothering. If I'm getting a fine it hasn't turned up yet 

joe.91 28 Feb 2024
In reply to steve_gibbs:

I paid for last Friday without an issues, downloaded the app and entered in the reference number. Very straight forward I thought. 

In reply to steve_gibbs:

Yes it's working.

It's called FLS North Face Car Park.

Or you can locate it on the map in the app and click on that.

Once in your app after you've used it once, you can just reclick on it.

You can pay for further days on your phone, eg from CIC hut, but can only do one day at a time.

It says no overnight parking but that seems to be ignored.

Not sure if anyone is getting fines, seems to be an honesty system, though they do have someone patrolling, putting reminder leaflets under windscreen wipers on unpaid cars

In reply to steve_gibbs:

Can't you ring the phone number and give the location number on the machine? 

In reply to steve_gibbs:

> Have they simply installed the sign with the QR code, but not yet installed any ANPR cameras, barriers, etc?

I don’t think that RingGo ever use QR codes but apparently there’s a scam that does. In this case it would obviously be a rubbish scam if it doesn’t take your money!

Neil Williams 28 Feb 2024
In reply to Simon Christopher Osborne:

> It says no overnight parking but that seems to be ignored.

It may well be that that's only enforced on those sleeping in vans.

Though interestingly quite a lot of Council car parks in tourist areas simply prohibit "remaining in vehicles overnight" or somesuch, you can park overnight if staying in a hotel or similar though.  Maybe that would be better - I can entirely understand why they don't want it permanently full of vans.  (The "no parking 8pm-8am" restriction that appears to have appeared on the Under Loughrigg road in Ambleside is I suspect also for that reason - I am in a way surprised parking is still allowed there at all, but it's probably necessary due to the lack of other parking in the town - because it's not well known it's far easier to get in than any of the paid car parks).

Post edited at 11:36
 NBR 05 Mar 2024
In reply to steve_gibbs:

It also gives you 72hrs to pay up.

Still a faff though, drove my Citzen of the Peoples Republic of Yorkshire climbing partner to entertaining swearing, not the cost I'd like to add but the 'appness'.

nufkin 05 Mar 2024
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> Can't you ring the phone number and give the location number on the machine? 

If found this a pretty painful process - took at least three tries. You have to speak to a robot, which evidently took against my plummy tones

Michael Gordon 05 Mar 2024
In reply to steve_gibbs:

So is it not possible to pay by card or cash?

NBR 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Nope just app or phone

Michael Gordon 05 Mar 2024
In reply to NBR:

Thanks. Hmmm, not impressed!

Rob Exile Ward 06 Mar 2024
In reply to Neil Williams:

Well, it was...

In reply to joe.91:

Agreed. My friend has the Ringo app on his phone and it will find the car park nearest to your location so it automatically chooses the NF car park once you're there. It also helps to have pre-registered your credit card with the app. Then it's very straightforward to click on the NF park and pay. Probably also depends on the strength of your mobile provider signal/internet connection but if you have 72 hours to pay that's not a big problem.

ScraggyGoat 07 Mar 2024
In reply to Michael Gordon:

RingGo is very straightforward, but Forestry Land Scotland seam to be putting covers over their cash/card machines in some locations saying the machine is not operational over the winter and they would be obliged if you use RingGo….plus a nice message to enjoy the quiet season.

I find this a potential discrimination as not all visitors will have smart phones and some that don’t would either not stop, or would fret about fines. 

Michael Gordon 07 Mar 2024
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> I find this a potential discrimination as not all visitors will have smart phones and some that don’t would either not stop, or would fret about fines. 

Totally agree.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...