UKC

Breathing easier in the cold

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sporky 06 Jan 2024

I've got a trip coming up this winter and it's going to be a lot colder than I'm used to. Maybe -15 to -20 ish. When I work hard in low temperatures it sets me off coughing and it can get quite annoying. How do people deal with this if they have the same problem? The problem with using a scarf or balaklava etc. is that the moisture builds up and freezes. Is there anything clever I can do?

Thanks

Post edited at 21:34
 Dave the Rave 06 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

A vapour barrier such as a plastic bag? 

Jenny C 06 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

I've always been a fan of a buff, but a nice cloth face mask with a nose wire works is more effective at preventing your glasses steaming up and muffles your voice less as well.

However the problem of moisture in your breath condensing on the fabric is going to be a problem with any face covering - maybe take a few and swap them out part way through the day.

TobyA 07 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

Where are you going? I know in the Nordic countries you can buy masks for XC skiing in the cold, from most sports shops. I tried one years ago but always thought it more hassle than it was worth. The tech looks a bit fancier now though. -20 is cold but it's not that cold. You might find you'll just adept.

OP sporky 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

How does that work, won't that keep the moisture in and make the condensation worse?

OP sporky 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks, I didn't think of taking a few and swapping them!

OP sporky 07 Jan 2024
In reply to TobyA:

I'm going to Norway so I can get one of those. -20 is nothing in the overall scheme of things but it's very cold for me. I've always just wrapped a wool scarf around my face but it ends up soaking, I suppose the ski masks are less absorbant thanks.

Have you had a recent asthma check? I've always had this problem (but found buffs annoying when exerting myself - I somehow end up ingesting them) and a recent asthma check brought up that I should have been on stronger inhalers than the old becotide I've used since I was a kid. A friend had a similar experience and said better inhalers cleared up the cold weather problem for her. Might be worth a chat with the dr (or asthma nurse actually - they may well be more knowledgeable!). Fwiw I think my asthma got worse since COVID (only found out by chance that I probably have Long COVID and am now being referred for chest x-ray etc) so your needs could have changed. Good luck.

Post edited at 02:34
 CameronDuff14 07 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

He's being facetious about the plastic bag. You would of course just suffocate.

twoshoes 07 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

As QotT says above, it might be mild asthma. I often wheeze and cough when exercising in the cold and assumed it was normal (along with a few other things).

I guess it depends how much it bothers you as to whether it's worth asking a doctor. I just found it mildly annoying and it wasnt until covid gave me actual asthma attacks that I asked about it. I've now got a couple of inhalers and the difference is pretty amazing. 

As a total aside, I'm amazed how we/I don't realise things. It took me forty-one years to discover I had (mild) asthma and that nobody else wheezed like a forty-a-day smoker in cold weather or around incense sticks and open fires.

Post edited at 09:28
 nufkin 07 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

My unqualified understanding is that there's a few things to be taking into account in this sort of situation; firstly, obviously, the air is colder than the body is used to, so there's a benefit to maximising the opportunity for it to warm - breathing through nose, a fancy XC exchanger etc - and also a benefit to not losing as much heat as you breathe out.
Secondly, cold air is less humid than warm air, which presumably has a drying, scouring effect on one's soft, moist airways over time - again, some sort of exchanger helps reduce this (nose, scarf, skiing thingy)

OP sporky 07 Jan 2024
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

Good point thanks. I've never been checked I just assumed cold air did that, and I didn't struggle with aerobic stuff in normal temperatures any more than my climbing partners so in my ignorance I thought that must mean it's OK. I'll get an appointment before the trip.

OP sporky 07 Jan 2024
In reply to CameronDuff14:

I did think they might be taking the piss but just wanted to check I wasn't missing out on some clever contraption!

CantClimbTom 07 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

My issue with face coverings has always been how to cover exposed skin, especially the nose without glacier glasses or ski type goggles etc steaming up. I don't have a magic answer as much as try different combinations.

If you are out and about in -20 and in the wind for an extended time you may well get a cold nose, so you need a tactic to be able to cover your nose if/when needed without steaming the goggles is you're on the move. 

Which goggles you have makes quite a difference as some are designed to allow more airflow than usual to reduce the tendancy to fog.

Good luck, and get the right goggles 

Brass Nipples 07 Jan 2024
In reply to nufkin:

> Secondly, cold air is less humid than warm air, which presumably has a drying, scouring effect on one's soft, moist airways over time

This, and when you are breathing hard, it gets deeper into your lungs before it can be warmed and pick up some moisture along the way.

A suggestion for the OP already covered is a thin buff. Only put it over the mouth when working hard. The air breathed in mixes with the thin warm air climate inside the buff, and is not so cold or dry when it hits the lungs. when the effort eases, remove buff from mouth and rotate , so next time you use it, you get a dry bit of buff over the mouth. Stops it becoming soaked. 

The neoprene lower face masks for skiing are likely not such a good match for when working hard.

Dave the Rave 07 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

> I did think they might be taking the piss but just wanted to check I wasn't missing out on some clever contraption!

Sorry Sporky that was childish of me.

On a more adult note, folk who live in the colder regions, wear coats with hoods trimmed with fur.

This creates a warm environment around the face in and hence the air that you breathe in is warmer.

Im not sure what trip you’ve got planned, climbing or sightseeing, but I bought the Mrs a Fjallraven Nuuk parka for Xmas, and it has an excellent hood with a fake fur trim to it.

Its quite heavy so wouldn’t be suited to climbing activities, but great for sightseeing etc

take care

Dave

In reply to twoshoes:

Yep, I don't know how I was diagnosed as it was before I can remember, but I've never had an asthma attack in my life, but have needed daily inhalers since childhood. Different asthmatics are obviously different - not necessarily triggered by exercise - and as I say, I suspect mine has been worsened by Covid. I could be wrong ofc - I've never been to temps that low and have no idea how non-asthmatics fare.

Post edited at 23:56
 George Ormerod 08 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

Buffs work, but need to be swapped out regularly, otherwise it's like being waterboarded in your own condensation.  A better solution is a neoprene mask, as this doesn't absorb water, but the fit can be a bit finnicky and hard to arrange with hat / hood, etc. 

There's also something like this for XC skiing (competitions are generally suspended below -20C due to the risk of lung damage) - https://skiwax.ca/collections/airtrim Although the reviews I've read say it's way overpriced for a bit of plastic.

crayefish 09 Jan 2024
In reply to sporky:

I've recently acquired an FXR face mask/balaclava.  Recent testing in Norway has shown it to be decent.   It was recommended by my expedition outfitter.

Worth a try... it keeps my face toasty but let's my head sweat.

ExiledScot 10 Jan 2024
In reply to George Ormerod:

I think with airtrim it's a simple principle, but a bit of research is needed on the different density of filters for training, racing etc.. and also getting something that's comfortable to wear. Combine this with the low volume sold to recover development costs, as it is obviously quite a niche product.

Their biggest market are those using indoor ski tunnels off season, as the indoor artificially cooled air has lower humidity and it impacts the body more. 

montyjohn 10 Jan 2024
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

> Fwiw I think my asthma got worse since COVID

Same. I had mild asthma as a kid. Never had a problem as an adult, but started wheezing on a regular basis and continuous coughs about 2 years ago. 

Had my first check-up with a nurse, and I was given a grey inhaler. After a week of use problem solved. Which reminds me, I need to book my follow up.

Pain having to use the inhaler twice a day indefinably, but it's worth it. Thanks Covid.

OP sporky 10 Jan 2024
In reply to Dave the Rave:

No problem I thought it was funny. Some good advice everyone thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...