UKC

Custs gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sabilly1 08 Feb 2024

Would it be doable tomorrow if there has been a large dump of snow? 

spenser 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Sabilly1:

Consider the avalanche hazard carefully, also consider if it will just be wading up powdery snow (I haven't checked weather conditions up there, but a big dump of snow makes me ask those 2 questions if considering a gully).

TheGeneralist 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Sabilly1:

Deleted.

No

Post edited at 19:23
 biggianthead 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Sabilly1:

No

Tom the tall 08 Feb 2024
In reply to Sabilly1:

No

BuzyG 09 Feb 2024
In reply to Sabilly1:

The forecast for great End says a dusting of snow.  Of course I don't know what is there already.  Cust gully is straight forward enough.  You may find you are climbing a waterfall though.  You could always take a look and if it looks bad simply go around right or retreat.

Post edited at 00:58
 John Kelly 09 Feb 2024
In reply to BuzyG:

There's quite a lot if snow on the langdale pikes, maybe snowed fairly heavily for 10hrs.

Is Custs an avalanche spot?

Good exercise to have a look

ExiledScot 09 Feb 2024
In reply to John Kelly:

There have been small avalanches in several gullies there over the years, not vast, but much more than just a bit of spindrift blowing down or sluff. 

I doubt any of the stream lines have frozen at all.

Post edited at 07:46
 ExiledScot 09 Feb 2024
In reply to Sabilly1:

9c tomorrow in Keswick, rain, rapidly thawing wet snow on wet grass and rock, and streams flowing down your sleeves as you scramble up. Sounds lethal. 

John Kelly 09 Feb 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

It's melted well back this am, looks like soggy to the top

veteye 09 Feb 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

I once headed up there one day when there was about a couple of Cm of snow. There was no point in putting crampons on, so I just used a single axe. I sort of scrambled/rock climbed until just beyond half way, when a more definite thin layer of ice was found on a large block with no real crack purchase for the axe. I felt that I could get up it, yet there was a chance of slipping backwards/falling if the thin ice gave way, and the exposed rock was wet and greasy. 

I decided that if I did fall, then I may be in real trouble as I had no phone signal, and was on my own. So I downclimbed the whole lot with difficulty (I had no rope, as I had originally set out to just do winter fellwalking).

So that could be the sort of experience that you get if you go there.

C Witter 09 Feb 2024
In reply to veteye:

I also tried it in embrarassingly lean conditions, got to the chockstone, decided it was a bit dicey sans snow, and then climbed and bumshuffled back down. Worth the craic, but not winter climbing.

Pinnacle Ridge (St. Sunday) was great in lean (non-)conditions, though: crampons and axe were in/on my bag, but some patches of verglas, frost and powder made it pretty.

Striding Edge/Swirral Edge is another good lean conditions plod.

I just mention these other options because, although it's good for people to be frank about things being in poor/dangerous conditions, it's nice to keep a discussion from being too negative or censorious! After all, there's always something to be done, even if it's just a stroll.

Post edited at 09:48
OP Sabilly1 09 Feb 2024

, did halls fell and sharp edge, had a good day. 

Cheers to the replies that were actual conversation xo

Post edited at 19:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...