An excellent route up the centre of Torre del Barancio's north face. The situations are surprisingly exposed for such a short route and the handholds on the first pitch can feel somewhat less than positive, but the rock is excellent and the climbing interesting throughout.
Start in the middle of the north face.
1) IV+, 25m. Climb to a niche 2m up on the right, then traverse left heading for a second niche. The first section feels quite exposed but is protected by a hidden ring 8m up.
Exit the niche on the right then make a rising traverse left then back right to a ledge and a cement ring belay.
2) IV+, 25m. Climb diagonally left from the belay with enjoyable climbing passing plenty of fixed gear to reach two cracks. Climb the right-hand of these, overcome a bulge at half-height then continue to another cement ring belay on the large ledge formed by the horizontal break in the face.
3) IV, 20m. Ascend rightwards then continue direct to reach a large ledge. Continue up a series of small ledges, moving slightly left.
4) IV, 25m. Climb direct up the centre of the tower with numerous possible lines to reach a flake at 20m. Continue on the left side of the tower to a series of ledges. Traverse the ledge rightwards then climb direct to a second ledge with a ring belay on the flat of the ledge on the arete itself.
5) IV+, 15m. Climb direct above the ring with steep climbing on the left side of the arete to the summit. Belay on a cement ring at the back right (SW) corner. © Rockfax
UKC Logbook Description
5 Pitch trad route - 4, 4+, 3+,4,4
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents