The easiest route up the impressive Idwal Slabs is very popular with experienced scramblers and climbers alike. It requires good rope skills and multi-pitch techniques and is often busy, but it does give a great way up this amazing bit of rock. Start below the long and wide cracks on the left of the slabs.
1) 45m. Follow the well-worn boot-crack to a massive wedged block. Climb over this to a good ledge on the left and a belay.
2) 45m. Take the left-hand groove for a few metres until a delicate traverse leads back right to a rightwards-trending line of weakness. Follow this until it cuts back left and belay on one of the numerous small ledges.
3) 25m. Follow the polished crack to the large ledge and various belays below a tower on the right.
4) 25m. Head left for 8m then back right to the terrace below the upper walls. You can climb direct here which is slightly harder.
5) Traverse left and head up what is now more scrambling territory. Continue up and left over a series of rock steps until you are on a prominent shoulder overlooking Senior's Gully.
Descent or continuation - Either carry on up the Direct Start to Senior's Ridge or descend via abseil or exposed down-climbing into Senior's Gully. © Rockfax
Heather's Multipitch Climbs , North Wales 100 Classic Climbs , CUMC Ticklist , The Ogwen 1000 , Welcome to CUMC , Big Ogwen Day Out , George's Ultimate Easy to Mid-Grade North Wales Trad Ticklist , York University Students path to greatness , Mountain Rock , Snowdonia Mountain Walks and Scrambles - Mark Reeves , Summertime Travels 2022 , No you're a punter , UKC Top 20 Climbs (Not Grit) , Gwen Moffat: Space Below My Feet
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents