The Crux Expedition Award is an annual grant. First awarded in 2017, this is the second year it will be awarded. It is an exciting opportunity for today's young climbers to win £500 in cash and £2000 worth of crux equipment for use on an outstanding mountaineering objective.
The criteria of the award are as follows:
1. Your proposed objective must be adventurous. Ideally it will be in a remote location and involve an element of exploration. It does not necessarily have to be a first ascent, however; it could be a first winter ascent, or an alpine style ascent, or just visiting a remote location of which you have no previous experience.
2. Your expedition must have a specific objective.
3. The expedition must not carry bolts or use fixed ropes (although capsule style is acceptable).
4. Although the level of difficulty does not need to be at the cutting edge, the objective must be challenging for your team.
5. The members of the team must be predominately under 30. Please provide details of your team's mountaineering experience.
6. There is no limit on the number of members, but we look more favourably on smaller teams climbing in alpine style.
7. The members must be predominately British or based in Britain.
8. The award cannot be granted retrospectively.
9. The expedition cannot be commercial.
10. You must supply photographs and/or Google Earth images of your proposed objective.
11. Please include an intended schedule/itinerary, as well as your budget.
12. The deadline for applications is midnight on the 31 January 2018. All applications will be judged during February 2018 and the award will be announced by the end of that month.
To apply for the award please email your application – setting out your expedition project, introducing your team, detailing the previous experience of its members, and explaining how you fulfil the award criteria – to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The winner of the Crux Expedition Award agrees to:
1. Acknowledge Crux in all media relating to the winning expedition.
2. Supply Crux with a short essay and/or film about the trip upon return.
3. Supply Crux with high-resolution photographs of the expedition for free use by crux for marketing purposes.