UKC

Rainy morning Pointless dream bike thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 23 Jul 2023

Your long lost great aunt Ethel had recently passed away . Despite your many misdemeanours, jail time , illegitimate children, time in rehab etc  …..( no need to add detail here ) … you were always her favourite. In her will it says that you are to be given the money to buy a bike . Any bike . You’re not allowed to resell it for a motorbike or a year on kalymnos etc, 

I recently posted about a bmc xc bike that has a list price of 13k euro that’s hanging on the wall of one my lbs . For me not that . I m thinking one of these built for fast mountain tours :

https://fireflybicycles.com/finish-options/

however I’m open to suggestions . Road mtb uni cycle ?

Edit : this :

https://fireflybicycles.com/all-road/

Post edited at 07:59
 Doug 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

can I have my old Mercian back  (maybe with a more modern chainset)? Made to measure Mercian 531 frame built up for cycle touring from the mid 1980s. Unfortunately was stolen from our garage many years ago No idea what the equivalent would cost today )

OP mike123 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Doug: of course. Get your appointment booked .

https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/

kevin stephens 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123: I can’t remember the details but I would love to have back the bike I had 20 years ago; it was a lot faster than my current carbon bike, especially on the hills

OP mike123 23 Jul 2023
In reply to kevin stephens: tough one that . Appointment with mystic Meg - allowed expense .

Robert Durran 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

I'd wait until a consensus emerged on this thread, get that one, and then post a video on here of me smashing it to pieces in a mad rage with lumps of Lewisian Gneiss.

OP mike123 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Robert Durran: oh dear . How about a Skoda Octavia instead  ? 

OP mike123 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123: I just just asked Meg to check with Ethel - no cars . Sorry . Pop down to Halfords and make a random pick ?

Schmiken 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Baum Orbis please.

OP mike123 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Schmiken: That’s the spirt . £18 k . Suits you sir 

yodadave 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

probably a bit cheap to some of you true bike aficionados but they look sublime and i do love the aesthetic....

https://www.twmpacycles.co.uk/our-bikes

peppermill 23 Jul 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'd wait until a consensus emerged on this thread, get that one, and then post a video on here of me smashing it to pieces in a mad rage with lumps of Lewisian Gneiss.

Oh? I thought you loved cycling and bicycles?

LastBoyScout 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Always fancied a Trek Fuel EX 9.9 or Top Fuel - carbon frame, obviously.

I already have a very nice road bike and a decent CX bike

artif 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

BMW racelink with Mr Dirt forks and pile of heavy duty bits to match. (Brooklyn machine works) 

Or more likely a Curtis hardtail with pinion belt drive. 

felt 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

One would look something of a tart on it, but one would love Cav's green Venge from 2013, except with a DA 9000 groupo.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/krYWyxy7Q9FEeobcKAwc39-1600-80.jpg 

JimR 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/R5-RED-eTap-AXS-Disc-Road-Bike-202...

Already got an older R5 and an upgrade would make it a true dream bike

SteveJC94 23 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Pedersen's iridescent-style Madone, minus the somewhat in your face gold cassette.

https://racing.trekbikes.com/stories/lidl-trek-men/bike-check-mads-pedersen...

freeflyer 24 Jul 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> I can’t remember the details but I would love to have back the bike I had 20 years ago; it was a lot faster than my current carbon bike, especially on the hills

I want the 50s jalopy that passed me on a morning after outing a couple of years ago; sit up and beg with a basket and lever brakes. Clearly a better bike than mine. Then when I got to the café, there he was at my favourite table catching the early rays and sipping an espresso.

I need that bike.

a crap climber 24 Jul 2023
In reply to artif:

> BMW racelink with Mr Dirt forks and pile of heavy duty bits to match. (Brooklyn machine works) 

Excellent taste.

How about a Karpiel Apocalypse with Risse big foot forks?

Getting a bit more contemporary, I'd really love a Gamux dh bike, but they don't seem that big on actually selling them. Dread to think what they might cost

Marek 24 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

If you mean a 'real' bike - i.e., meant to be ridden rather than looked at - then for me it's got to be something I'm not going to shed (too many) tears over when I crash it (I will) and can be replaced/repaired economically as needed. That put most of the 'halo' bikes out of the running. If I had one, I'd probably sell it sooner than use it. For me a bike is a means to an end whereas a lot of the bike drooled over here seem to be ends in themselves. And something like the Mads' Madone I really would be embarrassed to be seen on the road with it. Fine for him, but for me? Really?

peppermill 24 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

The Colnago C59 from "Road Bike Party 2"

Not the exact one obviously (3 careful owners... haha) but achingly beautiful from end to end including the brake rotors.

youtube.com/watch?v=wGIAuV8Qbek&

mattrm 24 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

I'd kinda like a smaller version of my Orange Clockwork that I could turn into a jump bike.

Or just a Starling Murmur.  I've been lusting after one of those for years now.

mondite 24 Jul 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Is that a promise?

I am sure we will find consensus on something suitably expensive.

artif 25 Jul 2023
In reply to a crap climber:

Karpiel, Josh Bender's weapon of choice

That Gamux looks nice, if you could buy it. I believe Tora are making a BMW replica as well. 

Really shouldn't have sold my old Sintesi, the biggest regret was letting go of the mr dirt forks, nothing has come close to them since. 

> Excellent taste.

> How about a Karpiel Apocalypse with Risse big foot forks?

> Getting a bit more contemporary, I'd really love a Gamux dh bike, but they don't seem that big on actually selling them. Dread to think what they might cost

Enty 25 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Had this conversation last week.

I've been doing the EuroMillions and it was 140m a few weeks ago. One of the guys said what bike(s) would you buy if you won that.

I said if I won 140m I'd never ride a bike again ever

E

tlouth7 25 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

I'd like a fixie for my commute, possibly belt drive, certainly minimal maintenance for daily wet weather use.

But here's the kicker: the last seven hundred metres of my commute is straight up an 8.5% hill, so it needs to be a fixie that magically has two speeds, and they need to be really quite far apart. Oh and if it weighs absolutely nothing that would be a bonus.

mondite 25 Jul 2023
In reply to tlouth7:

> But here's the kicker: the last seven hundred metres of my commute is straight up an 8.5% hill, so it needs to be a fixie that magically has two speeds, and they need to be really quite far apart.

An ebike with a small motor and battery. Sort of ones they use for motor doping in racing.

Personally for the dream bike I would just want a few midrange ones for different jobs. Any really good bike would be wasted on me (as are midrange but...) so having dedicated bikes for different uses wins out.

OP mike123 25 Jul 2023
In reply to Enty:

If there is no craic at lunch time and the jackpot is huge we often have discussions based around this . Not that bothered by super cars but I would need a very large garage for my bike collection . None of this  embarrassment about being a fat Bloke  on £15 k road bike in this house . Another topic is : who would be dead first . There is a 27 year old plasterer whose only hobbies are 5 a side and taking drugs ( and he only plays 5 a side once a week )  , so  a massive garage full of push bikes ( and a few classics motorbikes ) seems pretty mild really .

Out of interest ……..what would you spend it on ?

> Had this conversation last week.

> I've been doing the EuroMillions and it was 140m a few weeks ago. One of the guys said what bike(s) would you buy if you won that.

> I said if I won 140m I'd never ride a bike again ever

> E

chris_r 25 Jul 2023
In reply to mike123:

Raleigh Chopper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...