UKC

Bemusing moments in Top of the Pops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 10 Jul 2020

#1. Noel Edmonds almost apologising for a lovely bit of sheer joy in beige polyester. The Simon Park Orchstra with Eye Level

youtube.com/watch?v=zvesdlGe-EI&

In reply to Blue Straggler:

#2. Legs & Co, in front of a b&w stills montage depicting the life and times of David Lloyd George whilst simultaneously inventing the costumes for The Handmaid’s Tale.

circa 1981, Ennio Morricone’s “Chi Mai”

youtube.com/watch?v=qImOfipA8ZM&

Albert Tatlock 10 Jul 2020

When Mr Saville sexually abused a female young person live on TV, in front of whole country, and nobody did a thing about it

Post edited at 19:36
 bouldery bits 10 Jul 2020

#3 That time John Peel played Mandolin next to sexy drag act Rod Stewart.

neilh 10 Jul 2020

A youthful boy George looking for fame dancing as an audience member

Removed User 10 Jul 2020
In reply to neilh:

Everyone keeps banging on about the iconic moment when Bowie draped his arm round Mick Ronson, but the real jaw dropper for me, as a 13 year old was the first appearance of Sparks. Guys wearing lurex and eyeliner -yeah, so what? Turning up dressed as a bank clerk with a Hitler tache' really was radical. it also helped that they were a truly great band.

Alex@home 10 Jul 2020

Dexy's Midnight Runners playing Jackie Wilson Said. With a picture of Jocky Wilson in the background

youtube.com/watch?v=N4mxY0z9Faw&

wercat 10 Jul 2020

just watched an episode of Van der Walk on TalkingPictures for old times sake

wilkie14c 10 Jul 2020

Rick Parfitt coked off his tits falling into the drums on margarita time

In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

didn't one of Milli Vanilli get a chubb on that could have your eye out,  whilst miming and wearing cycling shorts?

In reply to bouldery bits:

Tom Hingley looking a combination of regretful and worried about whether it'll work out OK, regarding having Mark E Smith perform with them. And Mayo's insulting sneer at the end. 

youtube.com/watch?v=sGztG5uj8O4&

Queenie 10 Jul 2020

>Didn't one of Milli Vanilli get a chubb on that could have your eye out,  whilst miming and wearing cycling shorts?

Not sure, but Imagination's drummer gets up towards the end of Body Talk in 1981, and he  clearly dressed to the right.

wercat 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

were they the ones who did "Beat the Clock"?

Tom Valentine 11 Jul 2020

Tony Blackburn flinching when a well ( or badly) aimed drumstick from Keith Moon narrowly missed his head.

felt 11 Jul 2020

When the flute gets lost in the mix

youtube.com/watch?v=NysxdHSIs4I&

Wimlands 11 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

The Silver Machine was apparently his bicycle.....must have been a great bike ride.

Gary Gibson 11 Jul 2020

the Stranglers playing the wrong instruments during No more Heroes 

wilkie14c 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

Just had to get the stranglers in there eh Gary? 😁

Hope you are doing okay 

pneame 11 Jul 2020

> circa 1981, Ennio Morricone’s “Chi Mai”

Wow. I hadn't heard that before - haunting.

And the presentation - extraordinary. In a good way. 

But I see your point!

nastyned 11 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

Whatever happened to Lemmy after he left Hawkwind?

felt 11 Jul 2020
In reply to nastyned:

He went into chartered surveying, I believe.

nastyned 11 Jul 2020
In reply to felt:

That's a shame. I thought he had great potential. Maybe the lifestyle got a bit much for him. 

Removed User 11 Jul 2020
In reply to wercat:

The very same, as well as a whole load of fantastic songs.

aln 12 Jul 2020

> Tom Hingley looking a combination of regretful and worried about whether it'll work out OK

You've posted this before. Being a fan of The Fall I've seen this clip lots, and I just watched it again. Still a top tune but I'm still not seeing this look from Hingley. You're right about Mayo though. 

aln 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> When Mr Saville sexually abused a female young person live on TV, in front of whole country, and nobody did a thing about it

I think you're getting your sexual abuser radio 1 dj's confused. I'm sure that was Dave Lee Travis. 

Mike-W-99 12 Jul 2020

Dexy's Midnight Runners & Jockie Wilson-  youtube.com/watch?v=5Ao9p3ou7-U&

In reply to aln:

> You've posted this before. 

I have. Is that a problem? 

Queenie 13 Jul 2020
In reply to aln:

> I think you're getting your sexual abuser radio 1 dj's confused. I'm sure that was Dave Lee Travis. 

No, he's right, it was Savile:

youtube.com/watch?v=puyKtlPcmzU&

Durbs 13 Jul 2020

Nirvana's live vocal and unconvincing miming:

youtube.com/watch?v=1khy9_E4h44&

Hat Dude 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Gary Gibson:

> the Stranglers playing the wrong instruments during No more Heroes 

Rod Stewart and The Faces did this for Maggie May

There was also Ronnie Wood with his bog seat guitar complete with toilet roll on either Stay With Me or Cindy Incidentally

KennyG 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Durbs:

Kurt changes the opening lyrics to "Load up on drugs and kill you friends" which I imagine probably went down with the producer slightly better than the time they didn't play the expected song on the Jonathan Ross Show.

Iconic.

MeMeMe 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Durbs:

When you just don't even care about miming -  youtube.com/watch?v=1F4q6s9-wvg&

In reply to MeMeMe:

> When you just don't even care about miming -  youtube.com/watch?v=1F4q6s9-wvg&

This wins so far. It's pretty special. As in "special needs" They almost look like they are mentally incompetent and believe that they are making the music! I see that it is a Christmas TOTP though - was this a bit of a "thing" on the Christmas TOTP specials, to just have a lark? Or is Eddi trying to be more punk than Bananarama who iirc, at least once, literally didn't bother to move their mouths during performance to playback on TOTP?

Bob Kemp 13 Jul 2020

King Crimson doing Catfood with Keith Jarrett. (I can't find a good clip of this, possibly because it was introduced by that well-known sexual abuser.) 

Lankyman 13 Jul 2020
In reply to aln:

> I think you're getting your sexual abuser radio 1 dj's confused. I'm sure that was Dave Lee Travis. 

Wasn't DLT found innocent?

Tony the Blade 13 Jul 2020

The worst lip-sync ever, according to Sigue Sigue Sputnic...

youtube.com/watch?v=emIq1moVxkA&

Edit: 1m 10s

Post edited at 16:12
 aln 13 Jul 2020

> Is that a problem? 

No. 

The New NickB 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Wasn't DLT found innocent?

Not of everything he was charged with. He has a conviction for indecent assault.

Lankyman 14 Jul 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

Thanks, yes. I did the bleedin' obvious and checked the details out on Wikipedia. Perhaps not in the same ballpark as Savile and Glitter but still not great.

Carless 14 Jul 2020

Can't believe no-one's mentioned this gem

The Clash always refused to appear on TotP, so this is presumably TotP getting their own back

youtube.com/watch?v=hWxRoEF40O4&

The New NickB 14 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I remembered because the person he was convicted of assaulting is reasonably well known, although a lowly researcher at the time. I won’t name her, because whilst it was  widely reported at the time, it appears to have been left out of subsequent coverage.

Carless 14 Jul 2020

The start of this including some fine candleabra playing  youtube.com/watch?v=ex4X03xZsRk&

Post edited at 17:25
In reply to Carless:

Fantastic, this is the sort of content the thread really wants 🤣

Lankyman 16 Jul 2020

Fun Boy 3 and Bananarama with a masterclass in lip syncing and pointless mike technique youtube.com/watch?v=vfbR__bcuKY&

Just as good is the opening where 'Serious Hard Rock DJ' Tommy Vance (RIP, you deserved better) introduces the song surrounded by cavorting pretty young things. I miss the eighties, the high water mark for taste and style!

JuneBob 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Alex@home:

I was curious about that, found this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2012/mar/27/jocky-wi...

> Dexy's Midnight Runners playing Jackie Wilson Said. With a picture of Jocky Wilson in the background

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...