UKC

I've just watched the oddest film I've ever seen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 26 Dec 2013
It was called 'Flushed Away', and I stuck it out to the end, I have no idea what it was all about, or why Kate Winslet was involved, is this actually the sort of crap that constitutes a feature film these days????
 1poundSOCKS 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans: I guess you don't like odd films, based on the thread title?

OP Al Evans 26 Dec 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Not that odd, I liked Ice Age and stuff like that but this was seriously odd.
 1poundSOCKS 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans: Aren't you a bit old for Ice Age?

Jim C 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
> It was called 'Flushed Away', and I stuck it out to the end, I have no idea what it was all about, or why Kate Winslet was involved, is this actually the sort of crap that constitutes a feature film these days????

It looks like most people liked it:-

Critical response
Flushed Away has a 72% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 6.7/10 based on 130 reviews.
The site's critical consensus reads "Clever and appealing for both children and adults,

Flushed Away marks a successful entry into digital animated features for Aardman Animations."[10] Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, gives the film a score of 74, indicating "generally favorable reviews."[11] James Verniere of the Boston Herald said: "Without doubt the worst title of the year,

Flushed Away is also the BEST animated film of the year, and if you didn't think it was possible for slugs to be funny, think again."[12]

But not a great money maker
Box office
Flushed Away collected $64,488,856 in the United States, which was below the average of other CGI films from DreamWorks Animation, but $111,814,663 from international markets for a worldwide total of $176,319,242.[1] Produced on a budget of $149 million, poor box office reception resulted in a $109-million write-down for DreamWorks Animation,[13] and in a termination of the partnership with Aardman Animations.[14]
Post edited at 20:14
 1poundSOCKS 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Jim C: I usually find most people are wrong.

The Pylon King 26 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Have you seen "The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes"?
OP Al Evans 27 Dec 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

No, is it good?
 The Pylon King 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

It's extremely odd.
 Skol 27 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
It's odd. Finding Nemo is far better
 butteredfrog 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Skol:

> It's odd. Finding Nemo is far better

Rango is the best!!!!
 The New NickB 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

In the pantheon of kids cartoon films, it is certainly better than average. I am not really sure what is odd about it once you get over the anthropomorphism that is the basis of most films of this nature.
Removed User 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I watched Trollhunter and Rare Exports tonight, which are mildly odd, and brilliant.

For proper odd, try El Topo.
 Nick Harvey 28 Dec 2013
Southland Tales takes some beating for oddness. By the Donnie Darko chap I thing and makes that look very sane.

RBonney 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Executive Koala is extremely odd, but I don't think I'll watch anything odder than Tetsuo, though "Rabbits" came close. The IMDb links for all three are below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830581/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096251/?ref_=nv_sr_2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347840/?ref_=nv_sr_1
 1poundSOCKS 28 Dec 2013
In reply to Nick Harvey: I love that film.

Annoying Twit 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

If the OP doesn't like Flushed Away, I wonder what they would think of a David Lynch film.
 Choss 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Liquid sky is truly odd
 ThunderCat 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit:

> If the OP doesn't like Flushed Away, I wonder what they would think of a David Lynch film.

I was just about to say that "Eraserhead" is the oddest and most disturbing movie I've ever seen...

Go on Al, give it a try...

"In heaven...everything is fine..."
 Duncan Bourne 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Should have picked "Wreck it Ralph"
 andrewmc 31 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Rubber. About a tyre that kills people (sort of, more about a film about a tyre that kills people). I enjoyed it, but it was definitely weird... :P
In reply to Al Evans:

Timecrimes is a really odd film if anyone has heard of it. 13Tzameti is another one i've come across if you like odd, or not.
 1poundSOCKS 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: I've seen Timecrimes, if it's that Spanish one?

In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I've seen Timecrimes, if it's that Spanish one?

Yeah, i watched it one night after a few ales and it was hard to follow to say the least.

1poundSOCKS 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: I can confirm, it wasn't just the ale.

Jon Stewart 01 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I can confirm, it wasn't just the ale.

I saw some diagram of how it all works, quite helpful. I liked the film but wasn't sure how much of it was meant to be funny.
 1poundSOCKS 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: I would love to see the diagram. The guy in the bandages was funny, I never remember the details of film plots though (or how they end, except Titanic).

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Any chance of a link to the diagram please mate? I've promised myself another attempt at watching it.
 1poundSOCKS 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart: Ta Jon. Is that your work?

MtnGeekUK 01 Jan 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Try Doctor T and the Women.

You'll look at the cast list and go 'wow, why have I never heard of this?' Then you'll watch it and all becomes clear.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0205271
 Jon Stewart 01 Jan 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

No, I know I've had quite a lot of time on my hands the last couple of years, but I waste it in less productive ways than that.
 Blue Straggler 01 Jan 2014
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

I've seen that. It is not odd. It is just "not that good".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...