/ November Film Thread

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Tom V 03 Nov 2019

Dogman.

Very good film with outstanding performance from Marcello Fonte. 

Interesting filming location, too.

Blue Straggler 03 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom V:

I watched The Aeronauts. It was wretched 

pasbury 03 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom V:

Farmageddon - best belch in the history of cinema.

Post edited at 22:07
adsheff 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom V:

+1 for Farmageddon. If you are into sheep and aliens then this is the best sheep-alien based film of the decade.

Blue Straggler 04 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom V:

Le Mans 66, such a dreary muddle it doesn’t even know what to call itself 

Post edited at 22:54
Tom V 05 Nov 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I guess the beginning and the ending were ok then?

Do you have access to early screenings for some reason?

Post edited at 10:21
Blue Straggler 05 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom V:

What?

Tom V 05 Nov 2019

I don't understand how but your typo was still showing on my screen half an hour ago

In reply to Tom V:

Cached from last night. Not technically a typo but an overlooked aggressive "autocorrect". 

The film was pretty poor though. Unnecessarily jingoistic, no sense of what a 24 hour race is like or even how it actually works, totally one-sided, no engagement with the characters, no reason to root for them, and its purported aim - to look at the relationship between Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles - is very much not met. Also aside from an early mention of Porsche, it plays as if no other manufacturers were involved in Le Mans. 

It does get comedy points for Christian Bale's accent sounding like a cross between an Ozzy Osbourne impersonator and that bit in I'm Alan Partridge where Alan mocks the young Yorkshire builder. 

In reply to Tom V:

> Do you have access to early screenings for some reason?

Just occasionally. I have a Cineworld Unlimited card and they do the occasional early screening and/or "mystery film" (in the latter case it is always something major that will be on release in the next few weeks). Odeon cinemas do the same but you don't have to be a card-holder for them. 

Actually I expected last night's to be 21 Bridges or The Good Liar as the website wrongly stated a 100 minute running time (whereas Odeon's "Screen Unseen" stated 160 minutes so I guess they were running Le Mans '66 as well). 

Offwidth 05 Nov 2019

Another excellent documentary film from last night   "A British Guide to the End of the World"  ( available on I Player)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1gn

It links our own bomb research  programme with the woeful preparations for civil response to nuclear war and the consequences of the fallout, especially for the poor sods who were human guinea pigs at the Christmas Island tests. Very moving, well directed and designed.

Post edited at 16:46
Blue Straggler 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Thanks for typing the title 

Andy Clarke 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom V:

Monos 9/10. A haunting, hypnotic and at times hallucinogenic exploration of the dark heart of the human condition. The movie follows a ragged squad of teenage guerillas as they move from a bleak windswept upland into the claustrophobia and confusion of the rain forest, with their hostage, a female doctor. Their mission remains vague, the exact geography is left undisclosed and the guerillas all have noms de guerre such as Rambo, Wolf and Lady. We are in the realm of the archetypal. Joseph Conrad and William Golding are lurking in the shadows and there are a couple of clear nods to Lord of the Flies - including a pig's head on a stake - but the difference is that Monos doesn't depict a descent into savagery and ritual: it's there from the start. The movie has an enigmatic, dream-like quality - but the acting of the teenage stars is universally excellent and gives it real credibility. Cinematography and score are equally impressive. The film is full of arresting imagery, from sweeping panorama to detail so focussed upon it almost becomes abstract. The eerie, unsettling music merges in and out of the sounds of the child soldiers and the natural world. Everything shifts in a world without moral fixities. (In Spanish, with English subtitles.)

Blue Straggler 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Have you seen Beasts of the Southern Wild? 

Andy Clarke 07 Nov 2019

Missed it unfortunately. 

Blue Straggler 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Aspects of your Monos review brought it to mind. A river journey, an allegory, a vagueness. Shifts, imagery, young lead performer.

Blue Straggler 11:37 Fri

The more I ponder "Le Mans '66", the worse the film turns out to be. Essentially, regardless of how interesting the Ford vs Ferrari saga of the 1960s might be to real motorsport fans, in book or real documentary form, it just doesn't work as a narrative story suited to glossy formulaic dramatised cinema - there is no underdog to root for and you are just left with various shades of obnoxious rich white men doing a Hooray Henry thing in their noisy toys.

I predict a weak box-office performance for this one. 

Post edited at 11:37
Offwidth 06:25 Sun

A weirdly connected double bill from last night.

The first was Mother! that I'd been wanting to watch for some time. A strange movie indeed: incredibly well acted and filmed and as stretched to the limits as an allegorical and satirical, mainstream released 'horror' movie could be. I thought your review (second post on the film thread below) was spot on and I was pretty mesmerized.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/culture_bunker/september_film_thread-670763

The second, Only God Forgives, was almost a recording afterthought, as the reviews I'd previously caught were bad, but I quite liked Drive so I gave it a chance. Sumptuously filmed and very stylized, this bleakly violent film was never going to be a crowd pleaser. I thought it was flawed but well worth the viewing, with something almost spaghetti western about it, including the sparse but brash dialogue.

As a bonus for you, no RT links this time, as much because they don't do the auteur efforts (or the marmite) due justice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_God_Forgives

Post edited at 06:25
Blue Straggler 11:34 Sun
In reply to Offwidth:

The Wikipedia link to the Aronofsky film will not paste correctly 

Try a tinyurl like this

https://tinyurl.com/y62emafc

Offwidth 14:03 Sun

Thanks. No idea why but I managed to insert a space before the exclamation mark when copying the url over.

Post edited at 14:06
Blue Straggler 14:43 Sun
In reply to Offwidth:

No, I tested it twice from mobile phone (iPhone, Safari) and the space is automatically placed there once you hit "Post message". Not sure where the "fault" lies. 

Just tested it again posting from a MacBook Pro, also running Safari, and the same thing happened. 

Post edited at 14:44
Blue Straggler 14:45 Sun
In reply to Offwidth:

Your link to my review also made me look at my review of the Kevin Costner film "Criminal", thanks for that as I needed a laugh  

mike lawrence? 16:08 Sun
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Yes brilliant. I know the composer, it's very odd to meet someone so talented who is so genuinely modest and humble. Did you see that she didn't want to do the score as she didn't think the film needed one?

Andy Clarke 16:16 Sun
In reply to mike lawrence?:

> Yes brilliant. I know the composer...she didn't want to do the score as she didn't think the film needed one?

Glad she changed her mind! The soundtrack undoubtedly adds an extra dimension to what is a pretty immersive cinematic experience.

Post edited at 16:16
Tom V 19:09 Sun
In reply to Tom V:

Galveston. 

Read and enjoyed  the novel a couple of years ago so when I saw a review which said ..." a little too slow and a lot too serious for today's typical action audiences..." that was recommendation enough.

I liked it a lot, increasingly aware of Foster's talent after the last thing I saw him in, and there was a lovely piano score to accompany some of the deliberately dated cinematography.

Blue Straggler 21:23 Sun
In reply to Tom V:

Thanks! I was unaware of this, I have long admired Foster and also Fanning who is actually an even stronger guarantee of quality/interest. I will seek this out soon. 

Blue Straggler 00:08 Mon
In reply to Tom V:

Just saw the new "Midway" film, an odd one to review as it was pretty good (sometimes hard to follow the logistics admittedly, and a number of the characters/actors were confusingly interchangeable); it pretty much did what it said on the tin, told a fairly straightforward story without muddying things too much with more expansive politics and was refreshingly free of "judgement"(*), including giving decent screen time to the Japanese side of things. Well acted by a solid cast of reliable B-listers (plus Woody Harrelson as Nimitz). Nice to see Quaid getting decent screen time. 
The special effects were ambitious and pretty much flawless. You got a good sense,in the combat scenes, of just how hard it could be to actually hit a target.

And yet, despite all this, I am sure I will have forgotten a lot of it when I wake up tomorrow. Does this matter though? They have my money, I enjoyed my 2.5 hours in the cinema...

* in Second World War films involving Nazis, the screenwriters maybe have an easier job, as the Nazis are almost universally reviled and can easily be made "the bad guys", whereas the layman tends to "only" recall Japan in terms of Pearl Harbor, Midway, nasty POW camps, and Hiroshima/Nagasaki, and not with any sort of equivalent to the Holocaust

Blue Straggler 00:41 Mon

"Meh-dway" perhaps.
Bit harsh and pithy. 

To add to my comments in the first post, I got a feeling that this film was very respectful. I have no idea as to whether it was historically accurate - it is after a Roland Emmerich high budget special effects action blockbuster - but amongst the inevitable bombast there was some sobriety. 

Post edited at 00:44
Tom V 10:41 Mon

Regarding Foster,  I've not seen Hell or High Water  but am in the process of rectifying that .

Offwidth 12:15 Mon

If you talk to soldiers involved in the two campaigns, especially those soldiers taken prisoner, they usually have the opposite view. The death toll due to Japanese Imperialism was terrible, especially in the Chinese and SE asian campaigns: 6 million total dead is a standard estimate.

https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP3.HTM

Blue Straggler 12:25 Mon
In reply to Offwidth:

Hence my use of the term "layman". I probably should have added "European".

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.