UKC

"The Descent" as 'climbing' film.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 04 Feb 2012
Has anyone watched "the Descent"? Watching it currently and it has some of the silliest 'climbing' sequences I've seen on a film. The pretty one just got killed by accident by an ice axe through the neck. Why would you take an ice axe caving anyway? I'm normally a big fan of Mark Kermode who said it was the best British horror film in ages, but actually its very stupid. Interesting advert for Grivel ice tools though.
 Dave Williams 04 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Ice axes are often seen underground as they're very useful when it comes to digging in restricted spaces. No, honestly, I'm not having you on.

Dave
OP TobyA 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Dave Williams: Oh ok. Just don't hit anyone in the neck with it whilst trying to fight off canibalistic cave dwelling sub-human gollum like things!

It's definitely Grivel Alp Wings they have. I just saw a close up of one going into a cannibal caveman's skull...
 Bulls Crack 04 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Think the film's silly? Read the book! They wall underground from South America to Africa or something and can miraculously see in the dark and have a linking cave system!
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Dave Williams) ..... canibalistic cave dwelling sub-human gollum like things!

This is actually quite a good description of most of my caving mates!
>
> It's definitely Grivel Alp Wings they have. I just saw a close up of one going into a cannibal caveman's skull...

Hmmm, I shall hang on to my old Alp Wings in that case, as you never know ....

Dave

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Ah, yes, the book. I reckon whoever wrote the screenplay never bothered to read the book. ( Er, not really sure whether this was a good thing, or not ...)

Anyway, what planet are you on? Every caver knows it's possible to walk underground from South America to Africa.
 Joss 04 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> I'm normally a big fan of Mark Kermode who said it was the best British horror film in ages,

Yeah but what has he ever done on grit?

Steve John B 04 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> Has anyone watched "the Descent"? Watching it currently and it has some of the silliest 'climbing' sequences I've seen on a film.

It's not just the 'climbing' sequences that are silly...

But if you can switch off your critical faculties (I saw it at the pics which always helps) it's a great silly horror/action film.

Who knew all cavers were attractive women in their mid-20s?
OP TobyA 04 Feb 2012
In reply to Steve John B:

> Who knew all cavers were attractive women in their mid-20s?

I met a fantastically attractive Turkish woman once at a conference who outed herself as a caver. It just really didn't compute.
 Flinticus 06 Feb 2012
In reply to Dave Williams:
Yes, but they have to dodge the Nazi UFOs that guard the underworld.
almost sane 07 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:
You can keep your machetes. Ice axes are the tool of choice for the serious slayer-of-the-undead.
 Skyfall 07 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

This is such an old film Toby you need to get with the programme But,yes, total rubbish. I recall amazement at the ludicrousness of it all.

Only rivalled by Vertical Limit....
OP TobyA 07 Feb 2012
In reply to JonC: Having children, I have no life, so our once near weekly cinema going now is once or twice a year if lucky! So it finally got shown on Finnish telly sometime back, and I DVRed it but then it was another couple of months before we actually watched it!

The extreme free aid climbing across the tunnel roof was particularly bizarre.
 Skyfall 07 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Yes the roof was a great sequence, ahem. I'm sure Dave M learnt all he knows from the film. Oh, and the wild cam dyno in Vertical Limit. Oh yes, and the reverse crucifix leap a la MIP. Really, it's taught me all I know ... At least, my neighbours all ask if I've done it all.
 PanzerHanzler 11 Feb 2012
In reply to TobyA:

I saw a right pile of tripe on Sky this week - a movie titled Killer Mountain. The climbing (possible infringement of the trade descriptions act) scenes make vertical limit the descent look posively good.

Especially note worth are scenes of people belaying with both hands on the live rope, a group of five roped/moving together each climber seperated by about a metre (lots of close ups of cams)... just watch it - we should have a competition to see who can watch the most of it prior to switching off.
 sheep 11 Feb 2012
In reply to PanzerHanzler:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> I saw a right pile of tripe on Sky this week - a movie titled Killer Mountain.

Haha, i watched that. It was brilliant, a whole 2 hours of shouting abuse at the TV !

The best bit was keeping track of all the different mountains they showed in the long shots of where they were supposed to be.

Quality B-movie shite !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...